Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My Iris is arriving in a day or two. If someone doesn't beat me to the punch, I'll post some pictures of it, alongside the other recent Gamera figures.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Shinrobjira did a video on the new figures. I went and made a meme in response to it.

Seriously though, the new iris looks absolutely stellar and I cannot wait to get mine. Gamera too. Looks way better than I thought he would, and I honestly dont care at all that he has like no articulation basically.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Anyone see the New Movie Monster Series Shin Ultraman (Specium Ray ver.)?!! Looks amazing!!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I am looking forward to the 1999 Gamera, but what do you mean no articulation? Gamera isn't the most flexible Kaiju anyway but I figured it would have the arms/legs/tail joints like the 1995 one (which sold me on the idea that MMS was the best way to do Gamera for my shelf in the first place).

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Platypus Prime wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:36 pm I am looking forward to the 1999 Gamera, but what do you mean no articulation? Gamera isn't the most flexible Kaiju anyway but I figured it would have the arms/legs/tail joints like the 1995 one (which sold me on the idea that MMS was the best way to do Gamera for my shelf in the first place).
The new Gamera 1999 only has articulation in its legs. Its definitely a weird choice, but Im not really bothered by it since articulation on Bandai figures never really did anything in the first place.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Can confirm, only the legs articulate. Iris is similar. They still look really good and display well, but they have fairly clunky designs to begin with so the lack of articulation doesn't surprise me. I did think Iris would have more at the tails though; those appear to be glued into place.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Gamera's arms are immobile...?! o_O
Size DOES matter!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Yeah, they're glued into place. But even if you broke the glue seal they wouldn't be able to move; they're not inserted via a round joint but more of a triangular one due to the design having very flat, rectangular arms. Same goes for the tail, which is blocked by the shell's pointed tips.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Iris is easily one of the best figures Bandai has released in a while. While it has very little articulation (only in the feet, and slightly in the arms), it's a fantastic mass of tentacles and metal-like appendages. The texturing on the figure is well done, as is the paint. Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but sometimes it feels like there's a really wild contrast of the quality of figures Bandai produces. The figure makes me want to sit down and rewatch Gamera 3, and actually really makes me appreciate Iris as a monster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Yeah, the detail on that thing is incredible. They got all the little ridges and details in the armor and face. The Gamera line as a whole has been miles better in terms of quality and size compared to the Toho line, but I would assume there is a totally different budget/contract for whatever it is they're working with.

I hope that they continue it but it has been pointed out in the past that Gamera the Brave is in its own realm from the 90s trilogy. Still, I'd love to see Bandai produce a Zedus.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Any Zedus figure would be welcome.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Its funny because I havent seen Gamera vs Iris yet, so a lot of my perception of Iris is from the figure I have, and I don't much care for it?. This new figure makes it look infinitely more awesome. Something about it looks more powerful, idk what.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:20 pm I havent seen Gamera vs Iris
You have two weeks from this post to watch it ;)

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Creature22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 pm Yeah, they're glued into place. But even if you broke the glue seal they wouldn't be able to move; they're not inserted via a round joint but more of a triangular one due to the design having very flat, rectangular arms. Same goes for the tail, which is blocked by the shell's pointed tips.
The greatest Gamera 1999 figure ever made...and they ruin it right from the start. Why?! WHY?!
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am
Creature22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 pm Yeah, they're glued into place. But even if you broke the glue seal they wouldn't be able to move; they're not inserted via a round joint but more of a triangular one due to the design having very flat, rectangular arms. Same goes for the tail, which is blocked by the shell's pointed tips.
The greatest Gamera 1999 figure ever made...and they ruin it right from the start. Why?! WHY?!
Ruined it how? You want something that moves? Buy a MonsterArts.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 am
To be fair, the SHMA Gamera '99's paint job is garbage.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I like how all of a sudden it's heretical to think a bandai vinyl should be able to move.

It's 2021, engineering shouldn't be going backwards.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Or buy an older bandai vinyl with a higher tier of engineering than a glorified hollow statue.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

:roll: Yikes someone sure is defensive...

The goddamn original figure could move its arms. Why can't shouldn't this one? A lot of vinyls have moving parts. These ones should be no exception.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Can I ask...what would you do with the figure if the arms could move? When it comes to Gamera vinyl figures, moving arms don't really amount to much because the only way that looks right is when it's in the neutral pose.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:04 pm Can I ask...what would you do with the figure if the arms could move? When it comes to Gamera vinyl figures, moving arms don't really amount to much because the only way that looks right is when it's in the neutral pose.
I don't know moving parts on these things just made them funner to play around with. I just prefer they move a little. Moving pieces certainly better than nothing isn't it? I always enjoyed ones with moving arms or legs more than the static ones. It's why I never bought an Ultraman or Baltan vinyl because their legs didn't move.