Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Managed to cop the Playmates 6 inch Mechagodzilla from Walmart at a town I frequent on occasion. Happy to have found it at MSRP since it is going for so much in contrast online.

Anyone have recommendations for custom painting the figure. Not sure if I want to go all out and repaint red accents, but definitely considering a metallic/silver repaint for the main body. If anyone has recommendations for paint to use, I am all ears

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Got the cocaine Antarctic Kong today, directly from Playmates. Going to be doing a review for TK shortly, but man... Talk about a weird repaint.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Got my 56 Rodan in the mail, and I really dig him! I am curious though if his gold highlights (Which I get are references to/stolen from the 80s figure, but I still find distracting) can be removed with some rubbing alcohol. Or will that also just wash away the red/brown paint?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

swfreakjpb
Ronin

Post by swfreakjpb »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 pm can be removed with some rubbing alcohol. Or will that also just wash away the red/brown paint?
I do not think alcohol will do anything but maybe dull it. Not sure what type of paint it is. Try a little paint thinner or nail polish remover. Just a little at a time. You could take off some of the base color.
Last edited by swfreakjpb on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Finally tracked down a Gorosaurus at Target. The only Gorosaurus left, actually, alongside many Jet Jaguars, Burning Godzillas and others. I'm very impressed with it, though he looks best when viewed from the side versus from the front. It's like it was sculpted by someone who never looked at Gorosaurus head-on and just assumed how the snout is supposed to look. Still, far and away Playmates' best.

I feel for everyone who hasn't been able to track one down yet (keep looking, they're always stocking shelves), but I'm also glad its selling so well and so hard to find. Hopefully this will motivate Playmates to continue making obscure characters like those who Bandai never touches (not unless they win a poll at least).

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I have issues with the Playmates figure, but it looks A LOT better than the Y-MSF.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Gorosaurus came in the mail yesterday. It is by no means a perfect figure but I am very happy to have a representation of Gorosaurus in my collection that scales with my 6-inch figures. You can find some pictures I took in the link below, where I compare Gorosaurus next to a bunch of figures. Having a full Destroy All Monsters diorama is getting pretty close. I am tempted to buy some YMSF figures to get closer to a full realization of the final battle.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Yrx3dOj

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Luminous is reporting that the black "Battle Mechagodzilla" is starting to pop up in the US, finally. Took long enough. I hope the mini figures can make their way over here too at some point.

To date, I have never seen the regular Mechagodzilla in a store. I caved and had to pay twice retail to get him online (which I don't regret, he's easily the best of the GvK line, IMO). Doubtful I'll ever see this one either. Thanks scalpers.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Well this was a surprise! I was out "Black Fridaying" for some stuff yesterday and just happened to check the toy aisle at a Meijer store of all places and found this on an endcap! 😮

I had already got Rodan earlier at Target. But I did snag the Gorosaurus! I just never expected to find these at a Meijer store (my local Meijer store doesn't carry them yet). Pretty cool regardless!
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Found Antarctic Kong and Proton Scream Mechagodzilla at the Walmart in Salem, MA. Got the last MG, but there was one Antarctic Kong left.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

http://ir.playmatestoys.com/eng/reports.php
Click the 2021 report
"Consumer demand for our Godzilla vs. Kong movie product line has been strong
since its launch in Fall 2020. We will also continue to offer products inspired by the
movie as well as the broader MonsterVerse and Toho’s Classic Monsters in 2022."

Yeah, sure. Make a six inch MUTO set. Make a posable Behemoth. Go ahead Playmates.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Moth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pm http://ir.playmatestoys.com/eng/reports.php
Click the 2021 report
since its launch in Fall 2020. We will also continue to offer products inspired by the

Yeah, sure. Make a six inch MUTO set. Make a posable Behemoth. Go ahead Playmates.
Hopefully the whole monsterverse gets made into toys as well has the kaiju from the monsterverse books. I would like them to try to get video games toho monsters too.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

playmates could make a killing if they make articulate versions of the other titans. Imagine they recreate the bowing scene from KOTM to show off their next showings. If they can get the molds from Jakks Rodan only needs minor improving and Ghidorah needs his size increased.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:56 pm
Moth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pm http://ir.playmatestoys.com/eng/reports.php
Click the 2021 report

Hopefully the whole monsterverse gets made into toys as well has the kaiju from the monsterverse books. I would like them to try to get video games toho monsters too.
Oh yeah. I hope they will release some minor monsters that other companies will never be interested.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

vastatosaurus wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:11 am
OGMechaMothra wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:56 pm
Click the 2021 report

Oh yeah. I hope they will release some minor monsters that other companies will never be interested.
Other MV figures gives me more hope for Behemoth, Skylla and, of course, those damn Mutos.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Those little PVC-style sets have been showing up in Canada. Maybe there's a chance they'll show up here.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Moth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pmWe will also continue to offer products inspired by the
...But will they improve distribution? MUTOs or Ebirah won't matter if no one can find them online or in stores.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Rody wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:18 am
Moth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 pmWe will also continue to offer products inspired by the
...But will they improve distribution? MUTOs or Ebirah won't matter if no one can find them online or in stores.
Remember that we've spent a good chunk of this pandemic suffering through a supply chain shortage. In my area I can't find Gatorade, some varieties of Doritos and Special K. And it just seems to be getting worse. I'm sure toy companies can only do so much right now.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not being on store shelves wouldn't be a problem if other retailers offered them beyond Target and Meijer. If I could buy these on Amazon (yeah Rodan's on there but I consider that an outlier), that'd be great. Even Gamestop or BigBadToyStore would be great, just any means to get these beyond a single store and its website.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I just hope I eventually see the tiny Skull Crawler in the dollar stores. I just wanted one as an alternative 'two legged lizard' to go with Illustrated Kong. Then I found that for just the cost of the one minifigure I wanted off ebay I could get an entire Beasts of the Mesozoic expansion set, which went a lot further in improving my attempt at a Skull Island shelf:

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.