Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by goji89 »

Their style just feels plain and bland with this license. Again the Hasbro Sentinel and Galactus were under 450 smacks. Light up features and sounds, more articulation, and bigger than this.

If people have the income to buy it then you should, it'll probably go up higher in value.

As for me, easy pass even if it's my favorite suit ever.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

:facepalm: Mez-flair? Oh man. That got a physical reaction out of me. Cartoonish and bland both pretty much nail it. Very “toy” looking overall. Maybe that’s what they’re shooting for.

I also agree on the whole Hasbro thing. Sentinel is like 26” tall and costs less than this guy.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Mez-Flair

The bastard son of Ric Flair.

Wooo, wooooo.
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

Stylin’ and profilin’, limousine ridin’, jet flyin’, kiss stealin’, wheelin’ dealin’ son of a gun!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

So I just actually bothered to read the product description. The tail is “highly” articulated but it doesn’t clarify exactly how. Sounds like it could be a rubber skin of some sort. They really need to put out better info (and some clear, non-shopped photos).
Godzilla, King of the Monsters, is here to rule over your collection!

Immense in detail and size, Ultimate Godzilla measures a gargantuan 3 feet from teeth to tail! He features 10 points of articulation including a hinged jaw, and a tail with an internal skeleton armature that is durable yet highly posable.

This colossal kaiju features lights and sound, activated via buttons discreetly hidden on his back. Depress these buttons to activate Godzilla’s light-up function and/or to hear his monstrous roar!

The Ultimate Godzilla figure comes packaged in a collector-friendly box, fit for a King and perfect for display.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

I mean, we have a whole year to speculate. For all we know, they may fine tune the heck out of this figure by September 2022.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Regardless of Mez Flair or whatever, I think they MOSTLY nailed 89. Its no monsterarts or even Bandai in terms of looking accurate, but its FAR better than anything NECA would have done.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:20 pm Their style just feels plain and bland with this license. Again the Hasbro Sentinel and Galactus were under 450 smacks. Light up features and sounds, more articulation, and bigger than this.

If people have the income to buy it then you should, it'll probably go up higher in value.

As for me, easy pass even if it's my favorite suit ever.
The Haslab stuff might be taller, but the 18" Godzilla will have at least as much plastic in it. He chonky
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 pm Regardless of Mez Flair or whatever, I think they MOSTLY nailed 89. Its no monsterarts or even Bandai in terms of looking accurate, but its FAR better than anything NECA would have done.
I'm the Goji '89 expert here and he is not even close to being that specific suit. It looks generic in it's execution and quite frankly I feel insulted that they even call it the G89.

They should have asked me to sculpt it, I sleep with the KKK G89 figure every night.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 pm It looks generic in it's execution and quite frankly I feel insulted that they even call it the G89.
I actually dont think they even called it G89. I couldnt see that mentioned anywhere.
Regardless, yes of course its not Sakai levels of accuracy but I still think it looks pretty close. It looks strikingly similar to the old Bandai figure, which yes is a 1991 but they are the same suit so Im counting it.

ImageImage

On a scale of accuracy, it definitely beats out Neca and most of the old Xplus 89s that looked god awful. It also looks considerably better than the Mondo statue. But its not on par with SHMA or the Yuji Sakai 89s.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

They definitely didn’t outright say this was ‘89. I think a lot of people are just trying to connect the dots and make sense of it. Mezco is just calling it “Ultimate Godzilla”. It’s pretty much an amalgamation of the Heisei era.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That is definitely the 1989 Godzilla. The face isn't a great likeness, but it's more like the '89/'91 costume than any of its successors. The dorsal arrangement is clearly from the 1989 suit as well.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:53 pm
goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 pm It looks generic in it's execution and quite frankly I feel insulted that they even call it the G89.
I actually dont think they even called it G89. I couldnt see that mentioned anywhere.
Regardless, yes of course its not Sakai levels of accuracy but I still think it looks pretty close. It looks strikingly similar to the old Bandai figure, which yes is a 1991 but they are the same suit so Im counting it.

ImageImage

On a scale of accuracy, it definitely beats out Neca and most of the old Xplus 89s that looked god awful. It also looks considerably better than the Mondo statue. But its not on par with SHMA or the Yuji Sakai 89s.
It doesn’t look as good as any of the X-Plus ‘89s, aside from maybe the original 30cm. Not sure what you are smoking, but I’ll take some. It does look similar to the mondo. Which, if you want to buy, hit me up.

Added in 5 minutes 53 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:14 pm In their superhero lines I’ve seen the term “Mez-flair” used to describe the artistic liberties they like to take with their figure designs.

Over all I’d actually argue this is pretty accurate to ‘89. It’s just not entirely “realistic” (if you can use that word to describe a giant radioactive dinosaur). Like, there’s a subtle cartoonish-ness to the sculpt or something.

Still, the more I look at it the more I kinda want it…. I keep looking at my 1/4 scale Batman figure from Neca and trying to imagine a Godzilla that big. And in my imagination it is awesome.
This is literally why I bought the Mondo 89. Still, I think it’s more of a generic Heisei than a clear ‘89. The 20cm Kaiyodo, for example, destroys this in terms of film likeness. I usually love DP sculpts, but not feeling it here.

Added in 53 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 pm That is definitely the 1989 Godzilla. The face isn't a great likeness, but it's more like the '89/'91 costume than any of its successors. The dorsal arrangement is clearly from the 1989 suit as well.
“Aside from the face, it’s clearly Biogoji.” Ok, but you can’t just ignore the face.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 pm
It doesn’t look as good as any of the X-Plus ‘89s, aside from maybe the original 30cm. Not sure what you are smoking, but I’ll take some. It does look similar to the mondo. Which, if you want to buy, hit me up.
God no. Many of the X Plus 89s look horrendous. Just look at these absolute derps. Mezco has them beat by a landslide.

Thats the main reason why I couldnt get into Xplus. Outside of the Yuji Sakai and the gigantic figures most of them just look bad. Well sculpted and well detailed sure, but the sculpts themselves always look off, never super accurate.

It also looks far better than Mondo, not similar in the slightest. Mondo is closer to NECA quality when it comes to utterly failing to capture the suits likeness.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

"Most of X-Plus outside of Yuji Sakai just look plain bad"

"Always look off, never super accurate"

Lol, no. You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better, but that just isn't fractionally true.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 pm "Most of X-Plus outside of Yuji Sakai just look plain bad"

"Always look off, never super accurate"

Lol, no. You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better, but that just isn't fractionally true.
When it comes to Godzilla sculpts, it kinda is true. X-Plus has always done really well with other monsters, but most of their early Godzillas (and even some of their later ones) look terrible. I remember when Sakai first hopped on board - the standard of quality skyrocketed.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I guess I should have clarified that yes, I was referring to specifically to figures of Godzilla himself, that's on me for not stating that. I've seen a lot of them and they look off to me. Mostly older ones, I imagine, but even some new releases like the 1993 just...aren't quite right.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 pm That is definitely the 1989 Godzilla. The face isn't a great likeness, but it's more like the '89/'91 costume than any of its successors. The dorsal arrangement is clearly from the 1989 suit as well.
“Aside from the face, it’s clearly Biogoji.” Ok, but you can’t just ignore the face.
You misunderstand me. I'm not ignoring the face. Maybe I didn't word it as well as I could have, but I was trying to say the face sculpt is flawed, but it's definitely more like the '89/'91 face than any of '92-'95.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I feel like the face actually is a good likeness from certain angles...others, not so much. My biggest issue is the eyes. They have too much white visible.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I saw wait until actual production pieces start coming out before everyone can truly judge it or compare it to MonsterArts or Xplus. It might look better than the initial pics...or it may look worse. Who knows.