Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ride figures arrived. Godzilla is a fantastic buy; so detailed texture wise, and it just looks cool alongside the other monsters. Ghidorah on the other hand...eh, looks awkward and skippable.

So far I still need to buy:
Gyaos
Legion
Hedorah
Megalon
Both JJ’s

Hedorah is actually sold out, so that’s the priority when they get restocked. I think the Gamera stuff is also less likely to sell out, and I honestly don’t have room for legion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:11 pm
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 pm When might we see these new figures?
November
All the way in November? No promo shots before then?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 am Ride figures arrived. Godzilla is a fantastic buy; so detailed texture wise, and it just looks cool alongside the other monsters. Ghidorah on the other hand...eh, looks awkward and skippable.

Gyaos
Legion
Hedorah
Megalon
Both JJ’s

Hedorah is actually sold out, so that’s the priority when they get restocked. I think the Gamera stuff is also less likely to sell out, and I honestly don’t have room for legion.
Gotta say I’m absolutely stunned how popular Hedorah is in Japan. I had no idea.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 am Ride figures arrived. Godzilla is a fantastic buy; so detailed texture wise, and it just looks cool alongside the other monsters. Ghidorah on the other hand...eh, looks awkward and skippable.

Gyaos
Legion
Hedorah
Megalon
Both JJ’s

Gotta say I’m absolutely stunned how popular Hedorah is in Japan. I had no idea.
Really I always heard that he was extremely popular in Japan. I look forward to getting the color variant figure as I think that really makes that figure look that much better.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Gyaos
Legion
Hedorah
Megalon
Both JJ’s

Hedorah isn’t just popular in Japan. He’s fairly popular everywhere. Well, as popular as a Godzilla kaiju that isn’t apart of the big 5 can get. :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 am Hedorah is actually sold out, so that’s the priority when they get restocked.
Is it likely it’ll get restocked? Because I would really like to grab one myself.

Xenagoji7802
Samurai

Post by Xenagoji7802 »

Soooo excited for a new Gamera 1999. Fav Gamera design period. I was never a fan of the SHMA so I'm pumped to see what this one will look like. I bet its face will look way more screen accurate.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingCornetto wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:27 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 am Hedorah is actually sold out, so that’s the priority when they get restocked.
Is it likely it’ll get restocked? Because I would really like to grab one myself.
It’s rare, but I’ve seen items, including exclusive figures get sold out and then put up with new stock a few weeks later.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm Im just hoping that 91 looks decent, especially on a shelf with the rest of the 6" Godzillas. From everything I've seen so far, they really phoned in that Megalon.
In what context? Everything I’ve seen so far it looks fantastic. Maybe a little more paint on the chest area but other than that I’m very happy with it
Honestly the pose does look very dull, and the proportions seem a tad off. Actually, it looks suspiciously similar to the old 8" in a lot of ways:
ImageImage

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we're finally getting a Megalon - but I'd agree that the promotional photos haven't impressed nearly as much as, say, the recent Gamera or Shin Ultraman figures.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rody wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm Im just hoping that 91 looks decent, especially on a shelf with the rest of the 6" Godzillas. From everything I've seen so far, they really phoned in that Megalon.
In what context? Everything I’ve seen so far it looks fantastic. Maybe a little more paint on the chest area but other than that I’m very happy with it
Honestly the pose does look very dull, and the proportions seem a tad off. Actually, it looks suspiciously similar to the old 8" in a lot of ways:
ImageImage

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we're finally getting a Megalon - but I'd agree that the promotional photos haven't impressed nearly as much as, say, the recent Gamera or Shin Ultraman figures.
I have the old 8inch Megalon and intend to buy the new one soon. If no one does it, I'll do a comparison between the figures.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

That would be neat; honestly I think the recent Gyaos and Legion resemble their 8" predecessors a lot, too (but I think those figures looked better in the first place).

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Rody wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm That would be neat; honestly I think the recent Gyaos and Legion resemble their 8" predecessors a lot, too (but I think those figures looked better in the first place).
The Legion is the same sculpt as the original, with some retooling done. The Gyaos is entirely new.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm
Rody wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm That would be neat; honestly I think the recent Gyaos and Legion resemble their 8" predecessors a lot, too (but I think those figures looked better in the first place).
The Legion is the same sculpt as the original, with some retooling done. The Gyaos is entirely new.
No. Legion is an entirely new mold, too. It is completely different than the old Legion figure. I have both and they have 0% in common (other than depicting Legion and being made of vinyl by BANDAI).
Size DOES matter!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Damn. I really need to jump on a Legion and Gyaos before they're gone, and I kick myself for not buying them when they were available.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I think its obvious that Bandai has been taking influence from their older releases for some of the new figures; Gyaos 1995, Megalon, and Gorosaurus bear a strong resemblance to their original 90's counterparts. I don't mind it either, honestly; when Bandai first started these 6" scale figures, many were simply scaled down from the original 7-8" figures. Certainly wouldn't recommend that for everybody, but with these recent releases, I think it gives them a certain charm.
KingKaiju wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 am Damn. I really need to jump on a Legion and Gyaos before they're gone, and I kick myself for not buying them when they were available.
MMS figures usually stick around for a while; the Gamera that came out last year is still readily available. Sometimes if you wait you can get them a lot cheaper, too, I actually think the Gyaos started dropping in price recently.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:37 am
MMS figures usually stick around for a while; the Gamera that came out last year is still readily available. Sometimes if you wait you can get them a lot cheaper, too, I actually think the Gyaos started dropping in price recently.
Hmmmm I'll start keeping my eye out for that. Thanks for the heads up!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I hope the new 1999 Gamera has a roaring mouth this time. I never quite liked the closed mouth on the old one.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 pm I hope the new 1999 Gamera has a roaring mouth this time. I never quite liked the closed mouth on the old one.
I second this as well. If it is a roaring mouth probably instant buy for me! Looking forward to Iris as well. Only Gamera figures I currently have are a Showa Gamera and a 95 8-inch Super Gyaos. Legion is waiting for me at my parents house back home.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

At the end of this month BANDAI is releasing a new 23 cm tall Shin Ultraman as part of a new lineup called 'Mega Movie Monster Series'... :eh:
I wonder if that's gonna stay an actual thing this time...? At least it now features Ultraman. The two last times BANDAI tried to branch out their Movie Monster Series only one item ever came out of it each time:

DX Movie Monster Series Godzilla (2004) (which was actually a 28 cm tall Tokyo SOS Godzilla)
Master Detail Movie Monster Series Mechagodzilla (the 2018 Anime version, which was non-existent in its' own movie)

With them now introducing the 3rd bigger scale Movie Monster Series subline, should I have hopes that this time we might finally see the bigger Godzilla foes made as vinyl figures that are actually just half the way IN SCALE with the respective 6" Godziillas...? Well, probably not. I mean, why is it that the BANDAI vinyls of the biggest Godzilla baddies are always receiving the tiniest figures...? :|
It bothers me that any Ghidorah variant, Hedorah, Biollante, Destroyer, ... are all (giant) shelf-dwarfs, while a smaller character like Jet Jaguar almost towers over Godzilla, Megalon & Gigan, which it is supposed to stand just short of). At the same time they obviously CAN make the bigger Gamera foes into actually bigger (and more expensive) figures (the recent Legion & the upcoming Irys), so...? :eh:
Size DOES matter!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Petezilla wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm
No. Legion is an entirely new mold, too. It is completely different than the old Legion figure. I have both and they have 0% in common (other than depicting Legion and being made of vinyl by BANDAI).
I personally do not have both, but most people I have talked to who have are convinced its the same with some parts resculpted, like the upper torso. One of my friends pointed out that the head was completely identical.