Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Poe Ghostal »

It would be nice if they’d resolve the rights issues and give us a 1962 Kong. Never gonna happen though, I know.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

How was bandai able to release a vinyl one in 93 though?

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Seems like less awareness of the issues at the time?
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

Tamashii is random when it comes to licensing issues. Common issues are:

1. Too expensive to license (high risk sale - potential little profit

2. Too many hoops and ladders; many hands in the pocket of a license (not worth the trouble going down the rabbit hole)

3. License holder says no due to preexisting deal. (Example Bandai america cant because playmates got the contract.)

4. License holder says no because of regional boundaries (japan only like Shin Godzilla)

5. All or any combination of 1-4.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I really want Godzilla 2004. He would be so cool to have.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

I would really like to see a 74/75 Godzilla version or an 84. We are really missing representation of those. Particularly the 74/75 in highly articulated type figures.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:I would really like to see a 74/75 Godzilla version or an 84. We are really missing representation of those. Particularly the 74/75 in highly articulated type figures.
74/75 would be especially cool, as we already have a MG74 to go with it. Still expecting a retool/kitbash of MG74, turned into MG75... :D

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:I would really like to see a 74/75 Godzilla version or an 84. We are really missing representation of those. Particularly the 74/75 in highly articulated type figures.
74/75 would be especially cool, as we already have a MG74 to go with it. Still expecting a retool/kitbash of MG74, turned into MG75... :D
Nah. If they just retool 74MG to Make 75 I’ll be pretty disappointed. 75 is Extremely different from 74 when you look at the fine details and even proportions. Hell the 75 suit was a completely different one made too look like it was all damaged. When they swap it out for the 74 body when he looses his head it’s extremely noticeable. I would prefer it to be an entirely new sculpt, so he doesn’t retain those wonky proportions the SHMA 74 has.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ However they do it, I WANT it...

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

godzilla1541 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:
Nah. If they just retool 74MG to Make 75 I’ll be pretty disappointed. 75 is Extremely different from 74 when you look at the fine details and even proportions. Hell the 75 suit was a completely different one made too look like it was all damaged. When they swap it out for the 74 body when he looses his head it’s extremely noticeable. I would prefer it to be an entirely new sculpt, so he doesn’t retain those wonky proportions the SHMA 74 has.
Yeah, they're wildly different side by side. The neck, shoulders, arms, chest, legs, and tail not only have different details, but different proportions as you noted. Mechagodzilla 1975 is slimmer overall.

That would also give them the opportunity to rework those rings on the shoulders and knees as well. They're really troublesome to work with if you want to get a pose really quickly. I also don't like the door on his chest, which is tricky to open for the cross attack beam. The jaw of the 1974 figure is weird too. It could've been a simple hinge.

They could go further with the accessories. So many things to talk about with that kind of release.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:
Yeah, they're wildly different side by side. The neck, shoulders, arms, chest, legs, and tail not only have different details, but different proportions as you noted. Mechagodzilla 1975 is slimmer overall.

That would also give them the opportunity to rework those rings on the shoulders and knees as well. They're really troublesome to work with if you want to get a pose really quickly. I also don't like the door on his chest, which is tricky to open for the cross attack beam. The jaw of the 1974 figure is weird too. It could've been a simple hinge.

They could go further with the accessories. So many things to talk about with that kind of release.
How Bout MG75 can include a head swap accessory with the controlled brain and some eye beam accessories. That would be cool.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

The Kaiju figure gods have blessed me. Went on Awesome Collector to get that Version 2 Kong, and saw that KG was available again. Welp... Got me a KG!!! FIIIIIIIIIINALLY! Thank you payment plan!

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

Congrats of KG. I think it's a really cool, (and BIG!) figure

yeah it's not super posable, but the overwhelming size and "coolness" makes up for it

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hey! The good news is I got Rodan and Mothra today! :)

The bad news... I already got Neca Mothra, and Rodan fills up the last edge of space on my KotM shelf. That leaves me with my Showa shelf, Heisei shelf, Godzilla shelf, Gamera shelf, and Extra-Large-Figure shelf –– none of which SH Mothra really works with thematically.

My OCD... :cry: as if double dipping the same kaiju design wasn't bad enough.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

got the shin forms on eBay for approx. $150 shipping and all, not good but from what I've seen it's as good as I'm going to get
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
your source of self destruction

Gahdzilluh
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gahdzilluh »

master_of_monsters wrote:got the shin forms on eBay for approx. $150 shipping and all, not good but from what I've seen it's as good as I'm going to get
Hope you enjoy the figures man!

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Slowly building up my SHMA collection after collecting the NECA figures. I have G2019, 54, 62, 64 (Emergence), 1995 Re-Birth, 2001, Rodan & Mothra, and the Showa 1964 King Ghidorah third party (the G2019 "Poster" version is on the way and 2019 Burning on Pre-order). Really nice figures- a bit overpriced, but it is what it is.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

NickMockoviak wrote:Slowly building up my SHMA collection after collecting the NECA figures. I have G2019, 54, 62, 64 (Emergence), 1995 Re-Birth, 2001, Rodan & Mothra, and the Showa 1964 King Ghidorah third party (the G2019 "Poster" version is on the way and 2019 Burning on Pre-order). Really nice figures- a bit overpriced, but it is what it is.
The 2000 millenium version is a nice one to complete the variety of suits you have. Still fairly obtainable (at least the special color version).
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:
NickMockoviak wrote:Slowly building up my SHMA collection after collecting the NECA figures. I have G2019, 54, 62, 64 (Emergence), 1995 Re-Birth, 2001, Rodan & Mothra, and the Showa 1964 King Ghidorah third party (the G2019 "Poster" version is on the way and 2019 Burning on Pre-order). Really nice figures- a bit overpriced, but it is what it is.
The 2000 millenium version is a nice one to complete the variety of suits you have. Still fairly obtainable (at least the special color version).
That and the 2002 version are the current ones I'm aiming for. I would like to build up my collection- especially the different kaiju friends/enemies-, but they are out of my price point at this time.

Steel Hellkite
Samurai

Post by Steel Hellkite »

Welcome to the club. I'd recommend grabbing any of the kiryu releases if you can. I don't know the prices on them atm, but that's the best thing to come out of the line as of yet in my opinion. Final wars Gigan is another favorite but I expect the late fee on him is thoroughly ridiculous by now.