Worst Godzilla Game

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Worst Godzilla Game

Post by Terasawa »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The worst ones I’ve played are the two GBC Godzilla: The Series games, but shoutout too to Unleashed for Wii.
I have a soft spot for the first GBC game... but the 2nd one, Monster Wars, can't get into that one at all.
I haven’t played either since I was young but as I recall they’re both basically the same game. Could be wrong about that I guess. I never got very far in them because of how boring they were.

I don’t think conventional Godzilla action translates well to handhelds. That’s one reason I like the SD puzzle game.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The only Godzilla game I played that I would consider bad is Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash. Then again, I don't really play that much Godzilla video games, so I know there are others that are worst without even playing them, such as Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters and the two Godzilla: The Series games.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I haven't played them all, so I'll go with Unleashed for the Wii since that is the worst one I've played so far.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii with the Gamecube controller was next level.

Godzilla PS4 felt like a snore fest.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

PS4 felt so repetitive. Anyway, I kind of wanna mention here that City Shrouded in Shadow’s Godzilla model is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:PS4 felt so repetitive. Anyway, I kind of wanna mention here that City Shrouded in Shadow’s Godzilla model is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen.
Oh god, you're right.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I... actually don't really mind it? The pointy scalp is the only real issue I can make out.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Super Godzilla. Aside from having barebones navigation through the levels (it's basically a Godzilla version of chess) prior to fighting the bosses, the boss fights themselves are complete ass. Whoever thought making a Godzilla game with a PUNCH attack was a good idea needs to be slapped. And that's literally your only means of attack before unlocking "special" attacks like a tail whip, body/head strike and atomic breath in a separate cutscene which, while cool at first, get tiresome to watch over time.

They're also way too fucking easy. As long as you play defensively (don't constantly run, or should I say, walk full fucking speed at the boss because it builds up their attack meter) and collect enough items beforehand, you can beat all of the bosses without dying once with ease. I've seen people score perfects on Bagan (!) in LP's FFS.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with people uploading LPs where they win all the time (not just in this game, but any game on YouTube), but I swear to God, this has got to be the most piss easy AI I've ever seen in a Godzilla game. Even MechaGodzilla and Biollante, two "cheap" bosses, aren't THAT hard if you collect enough items (there's only a gazillion of them lying around the map you move around as a blue dot) and constantly move back and forth before going in for a punch.

It's clear as day the people making this game put 0 effort into level design, gameplay and balancing. It's too bad because it has maybe the best story of any Godzilla game.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

They definitely overthought Super Godzilla. The battle sections didn't need to be any more than a one on one fighting game. The fighting spirit nonsense is just frustrating.

That said, I don't think the boss AI is easy unless you've got a lot of practice against them. Biollante and MKG are the two toughest bosses in the game, unless you use Super G on the latter, which I used to do all the time.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The only good Godzilla games I've played are DAMM and STE. All the others are some degree of bad. Domination was passably okay, I guess. The NES game is thoroughly mediocre, although the graphics are pretty good. Both the Wii and DS versions of Godzilla: Unleashed are pretty bad. The neutered beam attacks, stupid new health system and motion controls just killed Unleashed. Motion controls were an inevitability given it was a Wii game but as to the changes to the base gameplay, the developers really should have heeded the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The DS version, meanwhile, felt so half-assed I wonder why they even bothered.

The worst of the lot, though, is the PS4 game. I don't even know what genre of game it's supposed to be. If it's a fighting game, it's the worst one I've ever played. A few characters have broken moves that just obliterate everyone and Kiryu is hilariously OP. If it's supposed to be an action-adventure game, then it's still probably the worst I've played. The gameplay is so horrifically boring that I gave up after a week. It's sad, too, because I was really looking forward to this one.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii with the Gamecube controller was next level.
Wait someone found a way to hack in GameCube controller support?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii with the Gamecube controller was next level.
If this is true, that'd be fantastic. I'm only aware of it being available through emulation, unless that's what they're referring to.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
If this is true, that'd be fantastic. I'm only aware of it being available through emulation, unless that's what they're referring to.
Yeah cause the official game on the Wii did not support the GameCube controller, just motion control. Had it had the GameCube controller it would have been a lot less of a pain to play.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Terasawa wrote:They definitely overthought Super Godzilla. The battle sections didn't need to be any more than a one on one fighting game. The fighting spirit nonsense is just frustrating.

That said, I don't think the boss AI is easy unless you've got a lot of practice against them. Biollante and MKG are the two toughest bosses in the game, unless you use Super G on the latter, which I used to do all the time.
I can't speak for everyone who bothered to play through this game (which is tedious at best), but collect enough items (which are scattered all over the maps) before entering each fight and you're basically untouchable.

Watch this guy, he CONSTANTLY rushes at Bio despite the game literally holding your hand and telling you not to do just that in the first boss battle and he's able to beat her without dying once simply because he had 2 yellow orbs and a blue orb:

This, of course, says nothing of the fact that it doesn't accurately reflect the monsters' strength, at all. King Ghidorah, Godzilla's "ultimate" foe, is the first and easiest boss in the entire game, for example, unless you use Super Godzilla to fight Mecha-King Ghidorah.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Yeah cause the official game on the Wii did not support the GameCube controller, just motion control. Had it had the GameCube controller it would have been a lot less of a pain to play.
Maybe i'm misremembering?? Probably am.

Playing G:Unleashed on the GAMECUBE was next level* whoops LOL
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KManX89 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:They definitely overthought Super Godzilla. The battle sections didn't need to be any more than a one on one fighting game. The fighting spirit nonsense is just frustrating.

I can't speak for everyone who bothered to play through this game (which is tedious at best), but collect enough items (which are scattered all over the maps) before entering each fight and you're basically untouchable.

Watch this guy, he CONSTANTLY rushes at Bio despite the game literally holding your hand and telling you not to do just that in the first boss battle and he's able to beat her without dying once simply because he had 2 yellow orbs and a blue orb:

This, of course, says nothing of the fact that it doesn't accurately reflect the monsters' strength, at all. King Ghidorah, Godzilla's "ultimate" foe, is the first and easiest boss in the entire game, for example, unless you use Super Godzilla to fight Mecha-King Ghidorah.
I use one green and red at the same time and have two yellow as back ups. The game is actually pretty easy after you've memorized things. Heck wanna know a neat trick with Bagan? If you are normal Godzilla, just stay to the far left and press down on the D-Pad to keep Godzilla in a defense posture. Bagan will barely attack you, do this for several minutes till the Super-X shows up with the energy. Super Godzilla has a good story (how often can you say that about a Godzilla game?) but it suffers because they wanted to do something "different" with the gameplay.

Now Gamera: Gyaos Destruction Strategy is tedious. As far as I can tell, I'm the only westerner on YouTube to do a full playthrough and review of it.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Living Corpse wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

I use one green and red at the same time and have two yellow as back ups. The game is actually pretty easy after you've memorized things. Heck wanna know a neat trick with Bagan? If you are normal Godzilla, just stay to the far left and press down on the D-Pad to keep Godzilla in a defense posture. Bagan will barely attack you, do this for several minutes till the Super-X shows up with the energy. Super Godzilla has a good story (how often can you say that about a Godzilla game?) but it suffers because they wanted to do something "different" with the gameplay.

Now Gamera: Gyaos Destruction Strategy is tedious. As far as I can tell, I'm the only westerner on YouTube to do a full playthrough and review of it.
Hell, wanna know a trick with Bagan once you've became Super Godzilla? Stay as far left to the screen as possible, charge a punch, release as soon as Bagan charges at you, then use whatever attack pops up in the attack window so he can't attack you, rinse and repeat. It never fails.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KManX89 wrote:Hell, wanna know a trick with Bagan once you've became Super Godzilla? Stay as far left to the screen as possible, charge a punch, release as soon as Bagan charges at you, then use whatever attack pops up in the attack window, rinse and repeat. It never fails.
Yep, also you're better off punching the air first then charging a super punch cause it'll raise your spirit the more you hold it. But only if the first normal punch didn't hit MKG or Bagan or a UFO.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The worst one I've played is Godzilla 2 on NES.

Its very ambitious for its time, but its also broken in its execution to the point of being almost unplayable. The slot machine style mechanics during the monster fights are particularly obnoxious as it takes any most of the strategy and planning right out of it. Also, the AI on the monsters seem random and sporadic (yes yes, like the movies, but still). There is one part where they say you can lure monsters away with an A Bomb, but no matter where I move the thing, they just keep moving at random.

The other Godzilla games I've played:
Godzilla: Monster of Monsters on NES = Probably my favorite G-Game...but that's not saying much. It has a ton of potential, but needed some fixing in key areas. I really wish we had gotten a sequel to this that enhanced the positives and fixed the problems. The good things? The wide variety of monsters to fight, the controls, the graphics, and they actually turned Godzilla into a fun sidescroller. The issues? The levels get super repetitive after a while, made even worse by the fact that I have to fight every monster again and again and again, level after level after level. And this is a fan nitpick here, but you made room for Gezora and Moguera, but Anguirus and Rodan couldn't make the cut?

Godzilla on GameBoy = At first glance, its an insult. I got this game for Christmas one year, and when I popped it into my GameBoy, I was like "The blankity blank blank is this?". BUT once you get past the obnoxious cuteness of it and play the game, its actually a solid puzzle game.

Super Godzilla on SNES = Oh boy...I really want to like this game. I really do. It LOOKS fantastic. Screenshots of this thing look incredible. Its just too bad that the game play is a slog to get through. Moving across the map is tedious, ESPECIALLY when you consider the random UFOs that pop up. It gets really old, really quick. Also, I take damage for knocking down a building? Really?! I wish I could say the monster fights were worth the wait, but you don't so much play them as you do keep them going to see the cool cut scenes...which again, are admittedly awesome looking, but it doesn't make for good game play.

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee on GC = Super fun fighting game. Its basic, easy to pick up, and the mechanics fit the IP very well. Its a fun ride. I don't put it up there with the all time greatest fighting games, like the Street Fighters, Mortal Kombats, Soul Calibers, the Tekkens, and the Super Smash Bros, but it was definitely a fun experience.

Godzilla Unleashed on the Wii = I never played Save the Earth, so this was my next play with the franchise. Comparing it to Destroy All Monsters Melee, its about 1 step forward, maybe two steps back. It looks cooler, and the roster is almost perfect, so there is fun to be had. The Wii Motion controls don't match this type of game very well, and I would have liked to have an option where I could use the classic control. Also, the 1p story mode makes no damn sense at all. Its just a random mess. Is there something wrong with a straight tournament fighter with cut scenes? Why mess with that format?

Sadly, my experiences with Godzilla games have been lacking, which is why I haven't played that many.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GojiDog wrote:The worst one I've played is Godzilla 2 on NES.

Its very ambitious for its time, but its also broken in its execution to the point of being almost unplayable. The slot machine style mechanics during the monster fights are particularly obnoxious as it takes any most of the strategy and planning right out of it. Also, the AI on the monsters seem random and sporadic (yes yes, like the movies, but still). There is one part where they say you can lure monsters away with an A Bomb, but no matter where I move the thing, they just keep moving at random.

Gamera: Gyaos Destruction Strategy (Gamera: Gyaosu Gekimetsu Sakusen) feels like a better executed Godzilla 2 if it was an RTS. I think I might be the only westerner on YouTube who did a full playthrough and review (I've looked) but I don't blame people, it gets repetitive because there is only two monsters, Gamera and Syper Gyaos. I feel like had they used some of the Showa monsters it could have been more enjoyable and I would have liked to see an improved sequel dealing with the Legion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THocji0yfRM