Worst Godzilla Game

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Dynomy84
EDF Instructor

Re: Worst Godzilla Game

Post by Dynomy84 »

To be honest, G.U for the wii isn't that bad. It just needs a few improvements, like better stages, or a few more monsters that fans wanted, or a better story line. The game to me is in the average zone. Not too good, but not too bad either... G.U for the PS2 though? Yeah, that's pretty bad.
Dynomy
If all else fails, eat pudding. Pudding never fails!

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

^^^^^^^^^^^ used to be? I still am a fan
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ghidorasauras wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^ used to be? I still am a fan
Just a little heads up. It's probably a better idea to just quote his posts if it's not one or two posts above yours, like what I'm doing to you right now. That way people don't have to count the number of arrows and backtrack up the pages to see who you're responding to.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

For me the worst Godzilla game was Godzilla on Gameboy.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Godzilla 2 on NES
Godzilla on Gameboy
Godzilla Unleashed - DS

Hard to decide which of the above is the worst. I am surprised the A.V.G.N didn't include the DS game in his Godzilla games review awhile back: http://cinemassacre.com/2009/09/04/avgn-godzilla/
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

^It was prolly so bad that it didnt even deserve to be mentioned, lol.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Gyaos wrote:^It was prolly so bad that it didnt even deserve to be mentioned, lol.
Honorable mentioned goes to Godzilla Unleashed for Playstation 2, simply for being a pathetically *LAZY* effort on the part of Pipeworks/Atari and essentially a carbon copy of Godzilla: Save the Earth, with the only two 2 new characters (Obsidiot and Battra) being virtual clones of Orga/Battra.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Gyaos wrote:^It was prolly so bad that it didnt even deserve to be mentioned, lol.
Honorable mentioned goes to Godzilla Unleashed for Playstation 2, simply for being a pathetically *LAZY* effort on the part of Pipeworks/Atari and essentially a carbon copy of Godzilla: Save the Earth, with the only two 2 new characters (Obsidiot and Battra) being virtual clones of Orga/Battra.
Definetly agree with this. It's been a while since ive had the game in my posession, but I remember the character models in-game looking so terrible. The monsters looked too smooth and barely had any texture from what I could tell. The monster's intros where always glitched to where they would open their mouth to roar and there would be no sound until a few seconds later, and even then it was only the end half of the roar. That is forever burned into my memory.

Its like they went out of their way to make the Wii version as "good" as possible and every other version into shit
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Gyaos wrote: Its like they went out of their way to make the Wii version as "good" as possible and every other version into shit
The simpler truth is that while I worked hard on G:DAMM, G:SteE and G:U on the Wii, G:U on PS2 was done with basically zero involvement on my part. So you are correct, pretty much no care was put into that version.

On a tiny technical note, I will mention that the audio sound events were actually called in the same place on both versions - but the PS2 audio streaming was very poorly handled, such that there was a big delay before sounds would load - that was the reason for the "missing roar" complaint. It really was just a hardware/software issue.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Hard to decide which of the above is the worst. I am surprised the A.V.G.N didn't include the DS game in his Godzilla games review awhile back: http://cinemassacre.com/2009/09/04/avgn-godzilla/
Because it's not an old, crappy game :P It's a modern, crappy game.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

Definately Godzilla Unleashed for DS. That thing is trash.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

Tidlefire
Yojimbo

Post by Tidlefire »

Godzilla Unleashed DS, that stupid puzzle game, and Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact.

Godzilla94
Ronin

Post by Godzilla94 »

Super Godzilla.

It had so much potential, too! If they cut out the parts where I'm just a blue dot on the screen, and made the fighting style like Kaiju Daikessen, it would've been an amazing game. Instead, we have a game where for the most part, I'm a walking blue dot on the screen that can't touch buildings, and finally, when I actually get to fight something, I can only punch the enemy, and then I have to watch a cutscene in order to do the move I want. I would've been okay if they even decided to have a Monster of Monsters style fighting, but no, the fighting in this game have got to be the worst fighting mechanics out of any fighting game I've played.

/end rant.

Modern game wise, Godzilla Unleashed for DS. Crappy graphics, boring gameplay, bad design etc. So far, the only portable Godzilla game I've played that I felt was good was Godzilla Domination. If there's another portable game, it should be in the style of GD. So yeah, my favorite Godzilla game and my least favorite Godzilla game both share the same title. Now I know which one all the resources went into.

Godzilla94
Ronin

Post by Godzilla94 »

Living Corpse wrote:At least Super G had a good story.

With actual plot twists that effect the gameplay. That's more then can be said about most G games in general.
I agree that Super G had a nice story, and I think that it's entirely possible to make a movie out of that (actually, the plot is really close to Godzilla Final Wars. Aliens come down, try to conquer the world, send a bunch of aliens on Earth, and then the humans sic Godzilla onto the aliens, defeat all the monsters, and then Godzilla needed to get a power boost to defeat the final monster), but still, the gameplay was just terrible. And to me personally, the most important aspect of a Godzilla game is gameplay. I usually don't even bother to play the Campaign mode unless I need to in the Atari Godzilla series, and usually stick to just Versus, Team Battles, and Destruction. Likewise, I want solid gameplay to make fighting monsters fun. Instead, in Super Godzilla, fighting the other monster feels tedious.

Like I said, the game had a lot of potential. They should've made the fighting like Monster of Monsters, or, even better, Kaiju Daikessen (though Kaiju Daikessen came afterwards, so I'm assuming this was the result of them learning from their mistakes). But no, the gameplay we got is just stupid. Even GU for DS was better. At least in that game, you actually played as Godzilla (instead of a blue dot), and you actually fought the other monsters (instead of punch, pull back, press button, watch cutscene). Yes, GU for DS was boring as hell, but at least it still felt like I was playing a game instead of watching an interactive movie.

Still though, I think the story, or at least some aspect of it, should be applied to Kaiju Combat. If they remade the Super Godzilla story and fixed all the gameplay issues, then it could be a really nice game.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Hard to decide which of the above is the worst. I am surprised the A.V.G.N didn't include the DS game in his Godzilla games review awhile back: http://cinemassacre.com/2009/09/04/avgn-godzilla/
Because it's not an old, crappy game :P It's a modern, crappy game.
Yeah, but either way, those games are AAAAAAAASSSSSSSS! :angel:

Godzilla94
Ronin

Post by Godzilla94 »

Living Corpse wrote:Funny you should mention it, Super G's plot was originally gonna be used for a film, leading up to Bagan but it got canceled. This proves that you can have good movie quality story telling in a Godzilla game, the problem is this one game seems to be the only time they did an exalent job with the story where others either drop the ball or just don't even bother trying to tell a story.
Well, the problem here is that Super Godzilla dropped the ball on pretty much everything BUT the story, and if you ask me, I'd rather have a solid gameplay where I fight other monsters or destroy buildings than have a quality story. There's more than enough Godzilla movies out there that have a good story for me to watch. I don't need a video game to give me that.

Besides, Super Godzilla's story is very similar to Godzilla Final Wars, and even the people who like that film (like me) watch it more for the action scenes than the story. I don't think there would be much praise for the story had Super Godzilla been a movie instead of a game.

However, considering that the Atari Godzilla trilogy was supposed to have a really nice story, but time constraints held it back, I'm sure with the Kickstarter project removing the nagging Publisher out of the equation, the story should improve. Now there's enough time to make a nice story as well as a nice gameplay. We no longer have to focus on just one or the other.

Godzilla94
Ronin

Post by Godzilla94 »

Living Corpse wrote:It's weird that Super G had a decent story, even G games that have good or decent gameplay don't get that. Honestly I feel if Super G was a fighting game or adventure game with actual gameplay and still had it's plot with all the twists (seriously Bagan was a shock for me when I was a kid, he came out of nowhere) it would probably be regarded as the best G game by most fans.

I agree, they dropped the ball on gameplay. They got one important thing right and screwed up another important thing.
And, to me, the part they screwed up is the most important aspect. It seems like they spent all the time focusing on the story, and thus, the gameplay is by far the worst gameplay I have ever played in a Godzilla game.

Like I said, the game probably would've been the best Godzilla game had the gameplay been something like Kaiju Daikessen, but the thing is, what we ended up with was absolutely terrible. Seriously, they could've easily replicated Monster of Monsters in that game (side scrolling for the monster walking, instead of a BLUE DOT on a map screen, and standard fighting instead of watching cutscenes every time we do a move besides punching), which still would've been a massive improvement. But there's absolutely nothing we can do to change the past, and thus, we're stuck with what we got, which is a game with a good story that has awful gameplay.

So there we have it, most Godzilla games have competent gameplay with a non-existent or crappy story, and we have one Godzilla game with a competent story with awful gameplay. The new game, hopefully, will have both a good story AND good gameplay.

Godzilla94
Ronin

Post by Godzilla94 »

Living Corpse wrote:So what's your favorite twist? I like that they bring MKG in, that King Ghidorah cells make Godzilla's energy higher and later you can turn into Super Godzilla.
My favorite twist is when they brought in Bagan. That was awfully cool, and Bagan looked badass (I think this game is the only reason why there's a huge fanbase for a monster that never successfully appeared in a Toho movie). Of course, straight after that, it was back to the awful gameplay, and that's why I never played it again after I beat it.

I do, however, rewatch the game on Youtube every now and then, because then that feels more like a movie and less like a game, which means I can enjoy it for the story. Plus, I can skip all the boring parts (the walking around in the city), and the battles can be serviceably entertaining when you're not actually the one playing the game, so once again, we're both in agreement that the story is quite competent. Nevertheless, because of the godawful gameplay, this is still my least favorite Godzilla game. I don't need a good story in a Godzilla game. There are 28 movies, 2 TV shows, and multiple novels and comic books to enjoy. There's plenty of places that I can find a good Godzilla story. What I want is the ability to feel like I'm actually Godzilla fighting other monsters and destroying buildings, and that was practically nonexistent in Super Godzilla

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I seriously don't understand why everyone LOATHES the DS game.

It's not the GREATEST G game ever... but I still like it. It's fun to play on occasion. There are much worse games out there.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

My choice switches periodically, but right now I'd say Super Godzilla.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.