What Game company should licence Godzilla next?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

What Game company should licence Godzilla next?

Post by LegendZilla »

Since there exists a thread in the Monsterverse section discussing which Hollywood studio is most worthy to pick up the Godzilla licence once WB/Legendary has its rights expire, why not do the same as to which video game company should be given the reins of the the brand? Since Bandai/Namco recently saw its licence expire, who would you trust in doing a good job? I personally wouldn't put mine into a western studio since bugs aside, lack of a damn given about movie accuracy is what killed Godzilla Unleashed for me and to an extent, the whole Pipeworks trilogy.

As awesome as it would be to see Capcom give it a spin, I doubt it would ever happen because other than Marvel Vs Capcom, the era of them being the king of IP licencing has long passed. In that case, I think our safest bet is Arc System Works, based on how well Dragonball FighterZ was received. They could make a 2.5D Godzilla fighting game that includes a tag-team mechanic carried over from their aforementioned Dragonball title. How would you fell about such a game? Do you think it will fare well with the GA so long as it is well-done?

And lastly, if you don't agree with me, what company do you think is best-suited for handling a Godzilla Video game in the future? Feel free to share your thoughts. This is LegendZilla, signing out.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What Game company should licence Godzilla next?

Post by Gigantis »

Sony and Microsoft are pretty much the kings of video games now, why not them?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tyrantgoji wrote:Sony and Microsoft are pretty much the kings of video games now, why not them?
They are the main manufacturers of the consoles. Which specific first-party companies under their umbrellas do you think would do a good job?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Sony and Microsoft are pretty much the kings of video games now, why not them?
They are the main manufacturers of the consoles. Which specific first-party companies under their umbrellas do you think would do a good job?
Doesn't Sony make there games?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote: Doesn't Sony make there games?
No, they have subsidiaries who develop them. Sony and Microsoft just publish the games.

As for the thread question, I'd say Netherrealm Studios. It doesn't need to be gory (Injustice proved they can do it), but something akin to MK in gameplay and tone would be excellent.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah this^ a 2D fighting game with modernized graphics and a solid roster would be awesome.

Question is, fatalities similar to MV (or pretty much any Godzilla Vs film) or no?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: Doesn't Sony make there games?
No, they have subsidiaries who develop them. Sony and Microsoft just publish the games.

As for the thread question, I'd say Netherrealm Studios. It doesn't need to be gory (Injustice proved they can do it), but something akin to MK in gameplay and tone would be excellent.
Netherrealm could do it if was exclusively-Monsterverse-based.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay so when it comes to a Sony Godzilla game, i want one made by the people who made Spider-Man PS4. Open world Godzilla game? What can possibly go wrong?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tyrantgoji wrote:Okay so when it comes to a Sony Godzilla game, i want one made by the people who made Spider-Man PS4. Open world Godzilla game? What can possibly go wrong?
I don’t think an open world Godzilla game will resonate with Japanese audiences. Because of very particular reasons.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Okay so when it comes to a Sony Godzilla game, i want one made by the people who made Spider-Man PS4. Open world Godzilla game? What can possibly go wrong?
I don’t think an open world Godzilla game will resonate with Japanese audiences. Because of very particular reasons.
What reasons.

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
Either way, I'm with tyrant. Would love an Insomniac Godzilla with the same love and world of Spider-Man.

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Someone who will not treat it as a budget title. I know a game doesn't need a big budget to be good or even great but it helps and I feel like Godzilla has been treated as a cash grab for too long. Seriously a Godzilla game shouldn't be a hard thing to do but the publishers keep sabotaging developers by giving them little money and little time. Also both need to stop making promises to the public unless they know they can keep it. People are more harsh critics today than they were 20 years ago, taking broken promises as a slight against them.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:What reasons.
Isn’t it obvious? An open-world Godzilla game will allow you to trample a ton of very sensitive areas in Japan, for example, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the Tohoku region.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Isn’t it obvious? An open-world Godzilla game will allow you to trample a ton of very sensitive areas in Japan, for example, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the Tohoku region.
....dude, they don't have to program those areas in.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Just put in Neo-Tokyo to destroy.

Boom done

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:
What? Who said they had to be in that? Who even said it had to stick remotely to Japan? An open-world Godzilla game could give us much more than just a singular island to destroy!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Netherrealm Studios

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Living Corpse wrote:Someone who will not treat it as a budget title. I know a game doesn't need a big budget to be good or even great but it helps and I feel like Godzilla has been treated as a cash grab for too long. Seriously a Godzilla game shouldn't be a hard thing to do but the publishers keep sabotaging developers by giving them little money and little time. Also both need to stop making promises to the public unless they know they can keep it. People are more harsh critics today than they were 20 years ago, taking broken promises as a slight against them.
Seriously:

Destroy All Monsters (NES)
Super Godzilla (SNES)
Godzilla Generations (Dreamcast)
Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact (Dreamcast)
Godzilla (PS4)

Why can't they get Godzilla adventure games right? :mad:
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Why do i feel like EA would do really well with a Godzilla destruction game.

As much as i despise the company, they do breakable structures better than most. They also have an unlimited supply of money they could throw at the game.

Only problem would be infinite loot boxes and feeling like the license sold its soul.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KManX89 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Someone who will not treat it as a budget title. I know a game doesn't need a big budget to be good or even great but it helps and I feel like Godzilla has been treated as a cash grab for too long. Seriously a Godzilla game shouldn't be a hard thing to do but the publishers keep sabotaging developers by giving them little money and little time. Also both need to stop making promises to the public unless they know they can keep it. People are more harsh critics today than they were 20 years ago, taking broken promises as a slight against them.
Seriously:

Super Godzilla (SNES)
Godzilla (PS4)

Think that's bad Gamera doesn't even have a fighting game.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
Seriously:

Super Godzilla (SNES)
Godzilla (PS4)

Think that's bad Gamera doesn't even have a fighting game.
Gamera kinda, sorta had a turn-based fighter on the Gameboy.