What led to the Pipeworks games being made?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
SG-17
G-Force Personnel

What led to the Pipeworks games being made?

Post by SG-17 »

I'm a bit curious. There was no film to promote, 98 was a laughing stock and 2000 only had a limited release. The rest of the Millennium series would lag behind in DVD releases. There was nothing major going on in the franchise in the West. So why and how did Pipeworks end up making these games?

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Re: What led to the Pipeworks games being made?

Post by Chris55 »

SG-17 wrote:I'm a bit curious. There was no film to promote, 98 was a laughing stock and 2000 only had a limited release. The rest of the Millennium series would lag behind in DVD releases. There was nothing major going on in the franchise in the West. So why and how did Pipeworks end up making these games?
Arbok and Simon would have more info but I think a lot of it had to do with Kirby Fong (Atari Producer) being a Godzilla fan
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Chris55 wrote:Arbok and Simon would have more info but I think a lot of it had to do with Kirby Fong (Atari Producer) being a Godzilla fan
From what I understand, this is correct. Kirby Fong was a champion around the idea of making a game around the character... and was pretty damn successful since Atari (Infogrames when this first started) went on to make 5 games for the character, 3 console and 2 handheld.

Fong was very passionate and involved during the DAMM days, to the point he was very aware of message board conversations around the upcoming titles even.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Its pretty incredible that one man could get the ball rolling on something like the Pipeworks games.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

Where is Kirby Fong today?