The future of Godzilla videogames.

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: The future of Godzilla videogames.

Post by ROMG4 »

The Godzilla series is just waiting for its Batman Arkham or Spider-Man 2/PS4 installment to both show and actually use the awesome potential of the series. Godzilla's fighting game potential has already been proven but the rest of it has yet to be depicted in a proper format

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

How's the idea of a Godzilla RPG game?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Gigantis wrote:How's the idea of a Godzilla RPG game?
How would that work?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
Gigantis wrote:How's the idea of a Godzilla RPG game?
How would that work?
You pick Godzilla/any other kaiju, and you have a large open world and you fight enemy monsters with your set of special moves. Think a modern version of Super Godzilla.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

For years now, I've hoped that Toho, Bandai Namco, Sega and maybe Atari could team up to release a collection of at least most of their vintage Godzilla-related games. Especially Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters (Super Famicom).
Friends don't lie.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

John Pannozzi wrote:For years now, I've hoped that Toho, Bandai Namco, Sega and maybe Atari could team up to release a collection of at least most of their vintage Godzilla-related games. Especially Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters (Super Famicom).
Yes with both local and online multiplayer support. As someone who has played both Battle Legends and DAM(SF), I can see them catching on in the Fighting Game Community, people still have tournaments with old fighting games like Street Fighter 3 along with the newer current games. They both play like Street Fighter 2 with similar button inputs for special moves so they should feel right at home playing them. I've been wanting to try and start a petition to get them rerelesed/remaster as downloadables but don't know how to build interest in supporting it.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

There is a part of me that wants a remastering or a sequel to Monster of Monsters that fixes all the issues with the game and expands the monster cast a little bit.

Make the levels less repetitive by varying up the environments and including some familiar iconography from the series and maybe have more interactions with the environment (like having items to throw at enemies), don't make the player have to fight the same monsters over and over again, make Rodan and Anguirus playable good monsters along with Godzilla and Mothra, add some more recent foes as bosses, add in the classic sound effects and roars, and keep the simple side scrolling and controls that worked in the game.

It'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I just really want something its been so long without a Godzilla game everything has just been drifting. No news not even vague rumors to get excited for

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GojiDog wrote:There is a part of me that wants a remastering or a sequel to Monster of Monsters that fixes all the issues with the game and expands the monster cast a little bit.

Make the levels less repetitive by varying up the environments and including some familiar iconography from the series and maybe have more interactions with the environment (like having items to throw at enemies), don't make the player have to fight the same monsters over and over again, make Rodan and Anguirus playable good monsters along with Godzilla and Mothra, add some more recent foes as bosses, add in the classic sound effects and roars, and keep the simple side scrolling and controls that worked in the game.

It'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.
I am quite astounded that Alex did not do that with his own fan-made game. Especially considering how much he modeled its engine off of the NES classic.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

They need to actually explain a little who each monster is, what their goal and motivations are. People who aren't familiar with franchise but willing to give a Godzilla game a chance are gonna be lost on who the hell Battra is and why his goal isn't people as food. A lot of them are just big animals but with Battra and Mothra their goal is more human-like, protecting the planet but having violent fights over how to carry out said protection.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I still say we need a create-a-kaiju feature!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Living Corpse wrote:They need to actually explain a little who each monster is, what their goal and motivations are. People who aren't familiar with franchise but willing to give a Godzilla game a chance are gonna be lost on who the hell Battra is and why his goal isn't people as food. A lot of them are just big animals but with Battra and Mothra their goal is more human-like, protecting the planet but having violent fights over how to carry out said protection.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One of these days, I would like to see a game that serves as a modernized Battle Legends, where you can experience battles from the movies.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

My dream game that will never be made would be an overhead action RPG along the lines of X-Men Legends, co-op, up to 4 players with COMPLETELY destructible environments and unlockable characters/skins/powers.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Huh. You know, it wouldn't be my first choice for a Godzilla video game, but as someone who loves the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games, that does sound kinda fun. Running around with a team of, I dunno, Godzilla, Rodan, Jet Jaguar, and King Caesar fighting off Destoroyah or Bagan or whoever would be pretty cool.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:26 pm Huh. You know, it wouldn't be my first choice for a Godzilla video game, but as someone who loves the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games, that does sound kinda fun. Running around with a team of, I dunno, Godzilla, Rodan, Jet Jaguar, and King Caesar fighting off Destoroyah or Bagan or whoever would be pretty cool.
Right? And imagine if they took a page from MUA:2 Civil War and had a good guy AND bad guy campaign? I typed up a HUGE pitch for this here years ago, where you'd ultimate play through the game 3 times: once as the Earth Defenders, secondly as the Evil Invaders, and finally, as ALL MONSTERS in the game against some huge final big bad threatening the entire universe....imagine Godzilla, Rodan, Gigan and Ghidorah teamed up!

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

I'd honestly wanna see another godzilla game along the same veins of the jp only gameboy one, kaiju-o. it's a side scrolling beat em up that works well as a game while also being relatively faithful to kaiju battles. I enjoyed the nes classic and the snes fighting game a lot as games, mechanically, but the nes one especially, just has little to nothing to do with the kaiju feel

I'm also weird and didn't like the 3d brawler ones very much. they were awful as games, and over emphasis on dbz beamfighting to the point where even anguirus is doing it, when the series had all of 3 beam fights in over 50 years just felt way too silly

VGF2615
Yojimbo

Post by VGF2615 »

BoswerLK wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:24 pm I'd honestly wanna see another godzilla game along the same veins of the jp only gameboy one, kaiju-o. it's a side scrolling beat em up that works well as a game while also being relatively faithful to kaiju battles. I enjoyed the nes classic and the snes fighting game a lot as games, mechanically, but the nes one especially, just has little to nothing to do with the kaiju feel

I'm also weird and didn't like the 3d brawler ones very much. they were awful as games, and over emphasis on dbz beamfighting to the point where even anguirus is doing it, when the series had all of 3 beam fights in over 50 years just felt way too silly
You do realize Anguirus was never able to beam fight with any of the other kaiju in any of the pipeworks games right? Besides, Unleashed was the only one of the trilogy where beam fights happened a lot.

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

I could be remembering wrong...didn't he have like a sonic roar that shot out in a cone that could beamfight?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I would love to see a modernized take on the Pipeworks formula. Those games were good fun.