Honest opinion on Bagan?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

What do you think about Bagan?

He's so cool and awesome!
28%
I like him, but I find him overrated.
28%
I am neutral.
19%
I don't like him.
5%
Bagan and his fans are one of the worst things in this fandom.
19%

Total votes: 135

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Honest opinion on Bagan?

Post by Godzilla21 »

goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
I think my dad maybe had a NES with Duck Hunt and Mario?
You saying this made me feel old
You think? I had the Nes when it came out and played Mario along with Duck Hunt. :cry:
So did I fool. My first ever game system.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:44 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

You saying this made me feel old
You think? I had the Nes when it came out and played Mario along with Duck Hunt. :cry:
So did I fool. My first ever game system.
Biiitch that's why I said "You think" ....as in stating the obvious old man. You sound like your older than me geezer Mcgee.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

It's hard to have an opinion of something that barely exists.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If Toho actually wanted to put him in a film after the 90’s, he would be in one by now.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Every year I keep hoping for him to make some sort of media appearance. I feel like like the long line of cancelled appearances makes him more interesting, in a way. As if he's a sort of phantom on the Godzilla series, who manages to hang on despite only being prominent in that one video game, and really has only ever been important in the minds of fans. Yet, we're still talking about him, aren't we? I would love for something meta like this to this to be worked into his first tv/movie appearance, if he ever receives one.

Whether he's handled great or terrible, the reaction people have to it is sure to be entertaining.
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Sun May 23, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

This is an interesting thread. I grew up with Super Godzilla and owned the game in the 90s; I thought Bagan (and, to a lesser extant, Super Godzilla) were cool additions and added a lot of creativity to the story while still retaining the Heisei “vibe”. But I definitely think both have become blown out of proportion/overhyped in recent years. Internet and popularity of older video games have helped that.

It’s one of those things where people seem more interested and excited with the lore of the character than the concept and history itself, which doesn’t really address context or the fact that he doesn’t fit too well outside of the Heisei era. As much as I’d love to see him return for the sake of my own childhood nostalgia, I think both designs are best left as products of the 90s and should probably stay there. He’s similar to Destoroyah in that sense; in any other scenario he would feel a little too out of place.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Creature22 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 am It’s one of those things where people seem more interested and excited with the lore of the character than the concept and history itself
This is definitely the case, at least from the few genuine discussions I've seen surrounding the character. His history with Toho is surprisingly deep, but most fans I've seen of the monster only seem to like him because "big and powerful bad guy". It's a fairly shallow reason to like him, but hey, I only ever liked Unicron from Transformers simply because he was massive and evil. However...
Creature22 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 amwhich doesn’t really address context or the fact that he doesn’t fit too well outside of the Heisei era. As much as I’d love to see him return for the sake of my own childhood nostalgia, I think both designs are best left as products of the 90s and should probably stay there.
I can't agree with this, at least with Bagan. Super Godzilla, it's more difficult to picture him being brought to life in live action, but he'd work pretty well in maybe an animated movie/series. Bagan, meanwhile, is much more... grounded? His origin doesn't need to be incredibly deep, maybe mix a bit of mysticism in there, but otherwise the core of the character is a "god of darkness" that actively goes out of his way to cause destruction. And three horns. And probably from China. It's pretty simple.

Sadly, the "big evil monster" trope has been done to death beyond the 90s in all forms of media, so it probably wouldn't be wise to recycle this unless there were more layers to his personality. At the very least, one unique aspect Bagan has is how he's a "darkness god" that utilizes the power of light (light ray from his horns/mouth, Wings of Light, light from his finger claws). Alternatively, there's always the shapeshifting aspect from the 80s, which hasn't been realized to its fullest potential at least in the Godzilla series, or the "ancient monster infused with DNA from Godzilla and his greatest enemy" aspect that most fans are familiar with from the game.

...unless you were strictly talking about the designs, in which case yeah, there'd need to be extra tweaking in that department from the waist down :lol:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock