Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube/Xbox)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube/Xbox)

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

SG-17 wrote:Is DAMM (and STE) playable on the 360 and/or the One?
360, yes. Xbox One... no.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:Xbox One... no.
fugg
I just got rid of my 360 because my friend gave me his old Xbone
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:
Red-Death Gigan wrote:Xbox One... no.
fugg
I just got rid of my 360 because my friend gave me his old Xbone
No Jaws: Unleashed now either.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

PrimevalYautja
Ronin

Post by PrimevalYautja »

Godzilla: DAMM is the First of the Pipeworks Trilogy. To Me... This Trilogy is the Godzilla Game Version of the How To Train your Dragon Trilogy. [If You're aware with it]

Also is this Game Competitive?

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

PrimevalYautja wrote:Godzilla: DAMM is the First of the Pipeworks Trilogy. To Me... This Trilogy is the Godzilla Game Version of the How To Train your Dragon Trilogy. [If You're aware with it]

Also is this Game Competitive?
I agree there chappie. The games aren't perfect but get the job done and another sometime down the road in this style would be great!

PrimevalYautja
Ronin

Post by PrimevalYautja »

@Omegazilla the name's PrimevalYautja by the way....so please dont call me chappie.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The high frame rate and lack of slowdown really make this game seem more energetic than its sequels. I also prefer the camera, which gets lower angles in general, making the fights seem more cinematic. It’s too bad about the limited, clone-reliant roster though. Overall, probably less replayable than STE, but does some things better.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Bump.

Honestly, I think this game is the best in the trilogy. Even if it has less content than its sequels, it feels the most polished and finished, and I really, really prefer its art direction/style and presentation.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Gerdzerl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:43 am Honestly, I think this game is the best in the trilogy. Even if it has less content than its sequels, it feels the most polished and finished, and I really, really prefer its art direction/style and presentation.
this game is the only one with Destruction Mode. sad they did away with such a good thing.

also, I liked the bumbling Vortaak guy more than the Queen.
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 pmthis game is the only one with Destruction Mode. sad they did away with such a good thing.
odd thing I've discovered, the Xbox version allows you to play destruction mode single player, while the GameCube version is multiplayer only.
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 am
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 pmthis game is the only one with Destruction Mode. sad they did away with such a good thing.
odd thing I've discovered, the Xbox version allows you to play destruction mode single player, while the GameCube version is multiplayer only.
Yeah, that really confused me when I was a kid. It was actually the reason why I wanted to get the Xbox version instead of the GameCube version. Glad I got my wish.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:01 pm
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 am
Yeah, that really confused me when I was a kid. It was actually the reason why I wanted to get the Xbox version instead of the GameCube version. Glad I got my wish.
I wanted the Xbox version because of Kiryu. I had no idea the destruction mode difference until I recently got the Cube version
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee officially turns 20 years old today. I think it's time to look back at this game and give my full opinion on it.

When I was a kid, I thought that there was just Godzilla: Save the Earth and Godzilla: Unleashed. I didn't know that G:DAMM was a think until shortly after Unleashed was released. I watched a lot of videos of the game on YouTube and, being such a big Godzilla fan, I wanted to get my hands on it and play it. It wasn't until, I think, 2011 when I finally got the game on Xbox. I specifically wanted the Xbox version because it had the single-player Destruction mode and Mechagodzilla 3 (It wasn't until later on when I found out that the Ring and the Vortaak arenas are exclusive only to the Xbox version).

Unlocking all the monsters, arenas and images for the gallery is satisfying, but it does make you wish that there was a little more to do in this game than what we actually got. And since this is the first game in Pipework's trilogy, of course it's going to have less monsters compared to the sequels. The monsters look good and the environments look great. They look even better on the Xbox version because the Xbox is a more powerful console and allows Pipeworks to update the textures and make the game look more HD. Some of the monsters, however, are copies of each other. Godzilla 90s and 2000 are the same, King Ghidorah and Mecha-King Ghidorah are the same and Mechagodzilla 2 and 3 are the same. Since this is the first game in the trilogy, it makes sense that it would be like that, and this wouldn't happened again in the Godzilla: Save the Earth. All the monsters in that game are different from one another in terms of moves and attacks. Adventure mode is nothing special, just three cutscenes of the Vortaak guy and several levels where you beat the crap out of a rampaging monster. But for a Godzilla fan in the early 2000s, this must've been exciting for them, especially with Versus, Melee, Team Battle and Destruction mode. This game also feels a lot more pumped up than later games. The action is faster, the combat is more intense and the music is rockin'. This is one of those rare examples where the first game feels more well-made than the sequels. Many consider this to be the best Godzilla game ever made. I used to think that Save the Earth was the best Godzilla game, but now I think both Destroy All Monsters Melee and Save the Earth are pretty equal. They both have their pros and cons, but I love both games. It's crazy to think that this game that I loved for over a decade is 20 years old now.

Now, if only this game and its sequels could get a re-release on modern platforms so more people can enjoy them without having to spend an arm and a leg...
Last edited by CrimsonBloodX on Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

This game is still my favorite of the Pipeworks trilogy. It's actually pretty hard to think that it's been that long since it was released.

Happy 20th Anniversary GDAMM! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

PrimevalYautja
Ronin

Post by PrimevalYautja »

For some Reason, I'd Compare the Pipeworks trilogy a Trio of Soul Calibur Games
Godzilla DAMM = Soulcalibur 2
Godzilla STE = Soulcalibur 3
Godzilla Unleashed = Soulcalibur 4

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

DAMM was the reason I wanted a GameCube (and later STE the reason I wanted a PS2). I saw the Prima Strategy guide for the game in EB Games one day and made my mom buy it for me, that summer (2003) I got a GameCube with DAMM for my birthday (I had gotten a GBA with Domination for the previous Xmas).