The future of Godzilla videogames.

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
G1985
G-Grasper

Re: The future of Godzilla videogames.

Postby G1985 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:48 am

Chris55 wrote:Should all this work out, I'd like to see physical copies of the remasters (with the Matt Frank reversible art of course)

I'll buy a physical copy if it works out, but I'm not holding my breath. The petition only has 7200 signatures at this point - it's going to need more than 10x that amount just to get Atari's attention.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Postby Chris55 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 pm

G1985 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Should all this work out, I'd like to see physical copies of the remasters (with the Matt Frank reversible art of course)

I'll buy a physical copy if it works out, but I'm not holding my breath. The petition only has 7200 signatures at this point - it's going to need more than 10x that amount just to get Atari's attention.

Considering it's caught the attention of Pipeworks, it's got a higher possibility of happening. At this stage nothing is definite but at least it's something.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Chris55 wrote:
G1985 wrote:

Considering it's caught the attention of Pipeworks, it's got a higher possibility of happening. At this stage nothing is definite but at least it's something.

It could happen! Those games were relatively popular, at least the first two were. I remember random friends having them who weren’t even interested in Godzilla.

MM Raids Again
G-Grasper

Postby MM Raids Again » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 am

Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?
Did you miss me?

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 pm

MM Raids Again wrote:Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?

A new fighting game would be nice, especially with KOTM around the corner.
Heck, even a small promotional fighting game with just Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, and Ghidorah would be better than nothing. :p
*MechaGoji Bro7503's Mile high quote*

"Did you really just quote ALL of that, JUST to say you didn't know there was a Lion King end credit scene ?" - Lain of The Wired
Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses

Godzillakuj94
Interpol Agent

Postby Godzillakuj94 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:56 pm

UltimateDitto wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?

Heck, even a small promotional fighting game with just Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, and Ghidorah would be better than nothing. :p

Throw in the Mutos and Kong and you've got me sold

Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Loganrules115 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Godzillakuj94 wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote:

Throw in the Mutos and Kong and you've got me sold

Skullcrawlers too.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Godzillabrawler
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Godzillabrawler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am

I don't post here often but I would like to weigh in given the petition has been going around. There's a few things I feel need saying.

The petition doesn't need to necessarily succeed to produce a favorable result. I mean, I'm just happy Pipeworks referenced the Godzilla Trilogy on their Twitter and the amount of tweets they've recieved regarding remasters. This shows there's SOME level of interest in the idea among fans, and that the people who could do anything about it are seeing it even if they dont do anything about it. Fans have to make sure that even if we don't get the trilogy remastered, interest in more Godzilla games, new or rereleased, needs to be made known.

Second, I don't think a remaster would be impacted by Godzilla Vs. That game is recognized, or at least SHOULD BE recognized, as having been a failure for reasons more gameplay-related than being Godzilla related. As people have said, Destroy All Monsters Melee in particular has fans that played it when they were young, many of which were never into Godzilla like most hardcore kaiju fans. I myself played Save the Earth as one of my first video games I ever played on the PS2. Compared to some fans, I may be young, but I'm almost 22 - I'm definitely not a child anymore, and so are a lot of these potentially paying customers, and as we know, nostalgiabaiting is often a successful marketing strategy.

Basically what I'm saying is that these games were far better in terms of gameplay than Vs, and had bigger rosters, and while they may not have been perfect, they'd tie into the modern resurgence of Godzilla interest as of late. Ideally, if the proposed remastered trilogy were to come back, even in it's most rudimentary form (port forward, fix glitches, done) I still feel like off of name recognition, the release would be okay. Godzilla Vs was forgettable and I doubt most people even remember it exists. Scroll through any DAMM/STE comment section on the Yubtubs and you'll see tons of average Joe YouTube accounts talking about how they played the game as kids.

I also wanted to say to the people who want more unique Godzilla games that aren't just fighters, I genuinely believe that, while that would be just great (the Monster Island Sim sounds amazing), given how much of a push there has to be for a Godzilla game to succeed financially, a fighter is really the only way to go. The main thing everyone cares about is the monsters. At the very least, the casual audience only cares about the monsters. And they care most about the monsters when there's a lot of them, and especially when they're fighting and destroying cities in a way that's exciting. And the most tried and true formula for that is a fighting game.

Personally, my hope is for a new 2.5D or Tekken/Soul Calibur esque fighter from Namco Bandai. I really just want a chance to see Shin, Earth/Filius, and the 2019 quartet of monsters to finally be playable in a fighter, alongside monsters like Gabara and Gorosaurus, Ebirah, Kumonga, and more who've either never been playable in an HD game or haven't made the jump to 3D in any capacity. Whether it's a new 2D fighter or a 3D one, I think a new game is due. Shame it's a hope and a dream and not a certainty.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

LockBite
Yin-Yang Master

Postby LockBite » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

The best thing Pipeworks could do is use the Destroy All Monsters source code and make a budget priced fighter with extra cities and kaiju. I would buy that.

Genjira Overwatch
Yojimbo

Postby Genjira Overwatch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:35 pm

Just came back to this thread after a while and HOLY SHEIT a lotta stuff happened while I was gone.
If you pick a fight with a shinigami, I can't vouch for your soul.
-Death the Kid.

Return to “Toho Video Games”