Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Post by Goji »

Great Hierophant wrote: I specifically remember watching "Godzilla Raids Again" on the Disney Channel circa 1996. I never saw the Gigantis title card until over a decade later.
I remember catching the start of one of the Disney airings around the time I got the tape and wondering “why do they have the correct title on here??”, and that was probably ‘90/‘91.

The GRA title card has to be the cheapest looking of the entire series (though the Heisei Godzilla vs. Mothra’s export titles are a close second). It’s obvious that it was a cheap and quick replacement, but with that said, it was not uncommon for some films (especially genre and horror films) to have crappy video generated title cards when they were renamed later on for TV and home video. GRA’s just happened to be especially bad.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira 72
Ronin

Post by Gojira 72 »

Goji wrote:The lone (official) release of Raids Again releases on VHS by Video Treasures in 1989 (which also included the original Gigantis title card) and the Classic Media DVD are the only releases of Gigantis on home video. There are a few questionable VHS releases that are quite rare, but I’m pretty sure they are unauthorized.
Did the title card had the original font known from poster and trailer ?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gojira 72 wrote:
Goji wrote:The lone (official) release of Raids Again releases on VHS by Video Treasures in 1989 (which also included the original Gigantis title card) and the Classic Media DVD are the only releases of Gigantis on home video. There are a few questionable VHS releases that are quite rare, but I’m pretty sure they are unauthorized.
Nope.

"Gigantis" main title, poster, and trailer. "Godzilla Raids Again" video title and Toho poster.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Gojira 72 wrote:
Yes :

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Oh wow, that's right. I did see Godzilla movies on the Disney channel back in the day.

That sounds so weird to say out loud, but Disney used to air a lot of weird random things you'd never expect to see on it, namely some random foreign animated films that I never saw anywhere else, and even some Bugs Bunny/Loony Tunes movies.

Anyways, back to Gigantis, the only time I remember seeing it on VHS was the Video Treasures release. It was the 2nd Godzilla movie I ever saw, but by the 90s, it was one of the rare finds of the series for US fans.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Disney Channel in the first ~15 years of its existence was like any other premium movie channel, except with an emphasis on family entertainment. It was only around 2000 that they eliminated any content not produced by or for Disney, and not long after that did they eliminate nearly anything but original productions for young viewers (basically punting on any other demographics in the process).
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

-Conflicting accounts note the US theatrical version being cut and uncut. What is known is that Cinema Shares' TV prints cut the "hard skreeonk" line plus some blood.
I'm not sure if this is still in contention or not, but I can confirm that the print I saw at the Drafthouse Ritz in 2013 was definitely cut. The end of the "you're a hard bitch" line was silent and every closeup of the monsters bleeding during the finale was covered with a jump cut. This was a widescreen theatrical print for sure.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think I have another addition here.

In the U.S. version of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., isn't "Mechagodzilla" substituted for "Kiryu" in the dubbing throughout the entire film?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:08 pm I think I have another addition here.

In the U.S. version of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S., isn't "Mechagodzilla" substituted for "Kiryu" in the dubbing throughout the entire film?
The original purpose of this list was to simply document all distinct English versions, not list every quirk of each one. Since there's only one English-dubbed version of that film, it's not really necessary to note the "MechaG" name usage in the film's entry on the list. And anyway, the list hasn't been updated in five years and probably won't be updated again.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:04 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:08 pm I think I have another addition here.

The original purpose of this list was to simply document all distinct English versions, not list every quirk of each one. Since there's only one English-dubbed version of that film, it's not really necessary to note the "MechaG" name usage in the film's entry on the list. And anyway, the list hasn't been updated in five years and probably won't be updated again.
Okay, thanks.

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

On the UK tapes of MEGALON and TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA from 4Front Video in 1998, the music over the Toho logos at the beginning were replaced by that from GODZILLA VS. GIGAN. I can't say if this was the same on the earlier Polygram releases, but the 1997 late-night Channel 4 screenings had the correct music.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I looked over this list again and noticed two things needed to be added and one spelling error needs to be fixed:

*On VARAN, please add "...an entirely new picture entitled VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE using SFX...".
*On FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON, please add "...in 1966 entitled FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD."
*On SUBMERSION ON JAPAN, please fix "...for export that TIDAL WAVE appears...".
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:26 pm I looked over this list again and noticed two things needed to be added and one spelling error needs to be fixed:

*On VARAN, please add "...an entirely new picture entitled VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE using SFX...
*On FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON, please add "...in 1966 entitled FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD."
*On SUBMERSION ON JAPAN, please fix "...
Tamura doesn't post here anymore. This list isn't going to be updated again.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, this was put together a decade ago. Nothing is going to be “updated”. People have long moved on to discussing this stuff in places where people actually give a shit.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Goji wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:13 am Yeah, this was put together a decade ago. Nothing is going to be “updated”. People have long moved on to discussing this stuff in places where people actually give a shit.
Where would these places be?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

To play devil's advocate, this thread is still stickied, which would seem to indicate its one the admins like users accessing (And for good reason - its a very solid guide). So to expect it to be updated if and when new information comes out isn't unreasonable, IMO (Though minor spelling/grammatical corrections are goofy). Since Tamura's apparently gone, would admins be willing to add to it themselves if said new information were to be unearthed? And yeah, for a lot of folks, this thread does seem to be the only source for a lot of this sort of info when they're not members of private Facebook groups or wherever.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't believe it's actually stickied anymore. It's just at the top right now because of recent activity.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Bisaju
Ronin

Post by Bisaju »

The vhs with the export dub of conflagration. What does it look like? What title and country?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am To play devil's advocate, this thread is still stickied, which would seem to indicate its one the admins like users accessing (And for good reason - its a very solid guide). So to expect it to be updated if and when new information comes out isn't unreasonable, IMO (Though minor spelling/grammatical corrections are goofy). Since Tamura's apparently gone, would admins be willing to add to it themselves if said new information were to be unearthed? And yeah, for a lot of folks, this thread does seem to be the only source for a lot of this sort of info when they're not members of private Facebook groups or wherever.
Can't believe it took me until February to see and reply to this but yes, absolutely! I'd be more than willing to add information to the OP to keep this list accurate and up-to-date.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:30 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am To play devil's advocate, this thread is still stickied, which would seem to indicate its one the admins like users accessing (And for good reason - its a very solid guide). So to expect it to be updated if and when new information comes out isn't unreasonable, IMO (Though minor spelling/grammatical corrections are goofy). Since Tamura's apparently gone, would admins be willing to add to it themselves if said new information were to be unearthed? And yeah, for a lot of folks, this thread does seem to be the only source for a lot of this sort of info when they're not members of private Facebook groups or wherever.
Can't believe it took me until February to see and reply to this but yes, absolutely! I'd be more than willing to add information to the OP to keep this list accurate and up-to-date.
I've got one question: wasn't the Walter-Reade version of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster released in the U.S. in 1969? It says "1967" on the OP.