Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Ethan wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:Mothra vs Godzilla:Godzilla's clumsiness.
This is intentional. Godzilla is meant to be dizzy after basically being washed away and unearthing himself.
Ah. I knew it. An excuse to justify a flaw.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

How was Godzilla being clumsy a special effects flaw to begin with? The movie makes several intentional instances to show Godzilla bumble-fucking around. Getting his tail stuck in Tokyo Tower was not an accident and neither was Godzilla stumbling and falling into Nagoya Castle.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:
Ethan wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:Mothra vs Godzilla:Godzilla's clumsiness.
This is intentional. Godzilla is meant to be dizzy after basically being washed away and unearthing himself.
Ah. I knew it. An excuse to justify a flaw.
How is that a flaw? It's a part of the story and the character of Godzilla in Mothra vs. Godzilla.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tyler wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:Getting his tail stuck in Tokyo Tower was not an accident
Looked like he purposely wrapped his tail around it to me.
Seeing how fond of using his tail Godzilla was then, that would make sense. But it looked like to me like he laid his tail in and started to freak out.

If only we could get translated copies of the original screenplays!! I'd love to see vague instances like that get clarified (and for the novelty of reading a golden age Godzilla script).
Last edited by TokyoVigilante on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tyler wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:If only we could get translated copies of the original screenplays!! I'd love to see vague instances like that only get clarified (and for the novelty of reading a golden age Godzilla script).
Did Gorosaurus break Ghidorah's back?
The "Han Shot First" of Godzilla fandom.
NSZ wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote: Getting his tail stuck in Tokyo Tower was not an accident and neither was Godzilla stumbling and falling into Nagoya Castle.
WTF is Tokyo Tower doing in Nagoya? :lol:
ALL OF JAPAN IS TOKYO, OKAY.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The shuffling aggregate Destoroyah "toys" in GvD. :lol:
I just want to loop that shot over and over set to this music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-otEdq-Ozo

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

*Space Battle Between SpaceGodzilla and M.O.G.U.E.R.A.
*Mini Ghidorah and Gigan flying around Godzilla Tower
*Minya
*The puppet Godzilla in KOM
*The Varan puppet in DAM
*In Terror of MechaGodzilla when MechaGodzilla blows up a city block it just looks SO f*****g fake.

Couldn't settle on one, sorry.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

As godzilla fans we should see through some of the crappy effects but I will admit the sliding Godzilla jr robot that was used in Godzilla vs Destoroyah was pretty bad.
84-95

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RedZillaKing wrote: *In Terror of MechaGodzilla when MechaGodzilla blows up a city block it just looks SO f*****g fake.
You gotta be kidding me. It's not supposed to look "real" in the first place. That's some of the best destruction seen in the Showa films. You're nuts dude..
Last edited by Goji on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Goji wrote:
RedZillaKing wrote: *In Terror of MechaGodzilla when MechaGodzilla blows up a city block it just looks SO f*****g fake.
You gotta be kidding me. It's not supposed to look "real" I'm the first place. That's some of the best destruction seen in the Showa films. You're nuts dude..
I agree. It may not be visually convincing, but it is very visually appealing.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Gojira-Fan wrote:I agree. It may not be visually convincing, but it is very visually appealing.
Yeah, I agree too. They're colourful fantasy films in the first place anyway.
I hate it when movies throw out all creativity and imagination for "realism".

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Goji wrote:
You gotta be kidding me. It's not supposed to look "real" I'm the first place. That's some of the best destruction seen in the Showa films. You're nuts dude..
That's one of my favorite parts of the movie. :(
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Even when I was a child of six that was the only thing that stood out as fake looking to me. And now, as an adult that realizes how phony a lot of this looks it still stands out as poorly done. It just didn't do it for me. Is it supposed to look real and was just executed badly? You decide!

But the answer is yes.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

I DISAGREE WITH REDZILLAKING AS IF THERE WAS NO TOMORROW.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Gigan X3 wrote:I DISAGREE WITH REDZILLAKING AS IF THERE WAS NO TOMORROW.
WHY ARE YOU YELLING??? Love the rest of the movie, though. Oh, except when godzilla flys through the air in an upward swinging arc. I think it was when Titanosaurus kicked him.

Oooo what about Mothra's wobbly chicken legs in The Battle For Earth. Those sucked. And she looked pretty lame in general.

Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Post by Proofpoochie »

Gigan X3 wrote:
Goji wrote:
That's one of my favorite parts of the movie. :(
Same here. I love Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

RedZillaKing wrote:
Gigan X3 wrote:I DISAGREE WITH REDZILLAKING AS IF THERE WAS NO TOMORROW.
WHY ARE YOU YELLING??? Love the rest of the movie, though. Oh, except when godzilla flys through the air in an upward swinging arc. I think it was when Titanosaurus kicked him.

Oooo what about Mothra's wobbly chicken legs in The Battle For Earth. Those sucked. And she looked pretty lame in general.
Because it was a strong disagreement.
Chris55 wrote:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RedZillaKing wrote:Even when I was a child of six that was the only thing that stood out as fake looking to me. And now, as an adult that realizes how phony a lot of this looks it still stands out as poorly done. It just didn't do it for me. Is it supposed to look real and was just executed badly? You decide!

But the answer is yes.
The scene is anything but "poorly done", it just happens to rub YOU the wrong way.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kyono_Rei
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kyono_Rei »

A lot of 1960s (also reused in 1970s) "tank and truck" scenes. They used very tiny (1:72 is my guess) poor looking models for the tanks and it really shows. I personally think they went cheap and used regular small toy models, instead of making larger studio-oriented 1:20 scale models of their own.

This is odd, as they also had some much better scale model scenes in contemporary toho films. Sometimes good scale model scenes are intermixed with previous very poor scenes (like in Godzilla vs Gigan).

Also I hate both Showa King Kong's (visually) with a passion. Especially the King Kong escapes one is a blaring "Guy in a bad monkey suit", as it is alongside of a pretty good IMHO Mechanikong.
Sorry for any speling mistakes, typos or the occasional Engrish. Native speakers, please show me mercy ;)

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I think at least some of us can agree that the worst of the Showa effects are nowhere near as bad as the worst Heisei effects.