Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Hedorah, the King »

_JNavs_ wrote: Lmao, I think most of us are just sick of constantly explaining the obvious.

Seems like you're just going thread to thread making vast radicalized opinions just to counter the norm and catch a reaction.
Why did you edit out what you said originally? If you're going to insult me don't be a coward about it. That is truly what I think of the monsterverse. You're just seething because someone disagrees with you and the majority, so rather than counter any of my points, which you are completely unable to do, you just throw a fit and wave your hands, why on earth does not liking the monsterverse make you cry? You're pathetic.
Hedorah, the King of the Monsters

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hedorah, the King wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Lmao, I think most of us are just sick of constantly explaining the obvious.

Seems like you're just going thread to thread making vast radicalized opinions just to counter the norm and catch a reaction.
Why did you edit out what you said originally? If you're going to insult me don't be a coward about it. That is truly what I think of the monsterverse. You're just seething because someone disagrees with you and the majority, so rather than counter any of my points, which you are completely unable to do, you just throw a fit and wave your hands, why on earth does not liking the monsterverse make you cry? You're pathetic.
Lol.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Jumping in here, but for the love of god! If you see something wrong, report it! Don't engage.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hedorah, the King wrote:Kaiju Fan Confessions thread, let's do this.

I actually absolutely hate the monsterverse, I think they've produced easily among the worst Godzilla films ever seen, on par with the heisei series post 89. Godzilla 2014 stands out as one of the most boring Godzilla films ever made, the characters are some of the worst, even Bryan Cranston who everybody seemed to be obsessed with just because it was a well known actor. The plot it terrible as well, it's like they took the most boring kaiju movie plot ever and screw the cinematography, characters, and action to the point where you get a movie so bad it makes All Monsters Attack look like Citizen Kane.

KotM was better, but only barely. Again, the characters were atrocious, not as bland this time around but god awfully atrocious. Let's not forget the maximum cringe this entire movie had, I wanted to puke at the bowing monsters scene. Also this movie suffered pretty bad from issues most big-budget movies suffer from today. Firstly it felt the need to be funny as does every movie ever so they make a bunch of terrible nudge nudge wink wink jokes they hope millennials will laugh at. Number two the movie is so damn self-congradulatory. Godzilla Final Wars was an epic movie, it did epic things and was of epic proportions, this movie just says that it is. All they do in the movie is talk about how incredible and great and unstoppable Godzilla is like a 14 year old writing a bad fan fiction. The cringe of the whole "alpha" thing applies here as well, they just present a power tripping fantasy some isolated middle schooler would get off to. The Serizawa line "we would be his" is cringe overload.

So those are my monsterverse confessions, I don't really see anyone disagreeing with this, I just think I'm the first to point it out. So yeah, enjoy, might do more, this is fun
Just wanted to let it out there that I agree with pretty much everything you had to say. I dont hate it though, I just dont have the time or energy anymore to care. Completely agreed about the cringey humor and self masturbatory GODZILLA IS DA KING shit.

I still think that GFW is better then KOTM though. I think I stated this a while back, but at least GFW seemed to be aware it was dumb, and did have some actually fun monster moments.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure there are creatures out there who unironically think G98 was the most definitive Godzilla movie and some who despise the original. I'm just gonna continue on enjoying the Monsterverse and hoping for more (and probably mourning it if it dies).

Now, confession time: I kinda don't like the fact that Heisei Godzilla continued to be a villainous character even after the bigger bads like King GhiDorat started showing up. Like sure he defeated the other monsters, but the day was never saved as long as Godzilla continued exactly what the other monster was doing. It always seems like a lose-lose situation (which granted some might like but I don't).
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I actually absolutely hate the monsterverse, I think they've produced easily among the worst Godzilla films ever seen, on par with the heisei series post 89. Godzilla 2014 stands out as one of the most boring Godzilla films ever made, the characters are some of the worst, even Bryan Cranston who everybody seemed to be obsessed with just because it was a well known actor. The plot it terrible as well, it's like they took the most boring kaiju movie plot ever and screw the cinematography, characters, and action to the point where you get a movie so bad it makes All Monsters Attack look like Citizen Kane.

KotM was better, but only barely. Again, the characters were atrocious, not as bland this time around but god awfully atrocious. Let's not forget the maximum cringe this entire movie had, I wanted to puke at the bowing monsters scene. Also this movie suffered pretty bad from issues most big-budget movies suffer from today. Firstly it felt the need to be funny as does every movie ever so they make a bunch of terrible nudge nudge wink wink jokes they hope millennials will laugh at. Number two the movie is so damn self-congradulatory. Godzilla Final Wars was an epic movie, it did epic things and was of epic proportions, this movie just says that it is. All they do in the movie is talk about how incredible and great and unstoppable Godzilla is like a 14 year old writing a bad fan fiction. The cringe of the whole "alpha" thing applies here as well, they just present a power tripping fantasy some isolated middle schooler would get off to. The Serizawa line "we would be his" is cringe overload.

So those are my monsterverse confessions, I don't really see anyone disagreeing with this, I just think I'm the first to point it out. So yeah, enjoy, might do more, this is fun
I humbly disagree with most of this.

While you consider G14 boring, i think it's a solid and tense thriller that pays off big time when the monster action goes nuts in the climax. I can understand your points about a basic kaiju plot and am glad I am not the only one who thinks the fandoms obsession with Bryan Cranston. is bizarre, to say the least,

As for KOTM, it was definetly weaker then 14 to me but still a fun and awe-insipring spectacle. Again, though. I can see your complaints, especially with the humor.

So, while I. disagree with most of your conclusions, I do see where youre coming from. and respect your opinion. It is also nice to hear a different opinion, I agree. :smile:

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GuardianGhido wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure there are creatures out there who unironically think G98 was the most definitive Godzilla movie and some who despise the original. I'm just gonna continue on enjoying the Monsterverse and hoping for more (and probably mourning it if it dies).

Now, confession time: I kinda don't like the fact that Heisei Godzilla continued to be a villainous character even after the bigger bads like King GhiDorat started showing up. Like sure he defeated the other monsters, but the day was never saved as long as Godzilla continued exactly what the other monster was doing. It always seems like a lose-lose situation (which granted some might like but I don't).
Hm. I'd argue *Mechagodzilla 2* onward he dropped his antagonistic role. Even in vs Destoroyah he was more of a tragic figure. It wasn't his fault he was going to melt down.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure there are creatures out there who unironically think G98 was the most definitive Godzilla movie and some who despise the original. I'm just gonna continue on enjoying the Monsterverse and hoping for more (and probably mourning it if it dies).

Hm. I'd argue *Mechagodzilla 2* onward he dropped his antagonistic role. Even in vs Destoroyah he was more of a tragic figure. It wasn't his fault he was going to melt down.
Not openly antagonistic maybe, but he was still considered a menace to humanity that had to be destroyed and Godzilla also supposedly still attacked humans out of animosity than retaliation.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm definitely looking forward to GvK but I'm not really expecting much from it anymore. The MV has been very underwhelming so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Not openly antagonistic maybe, but he was still considered a menace to humanity that had to be destroyed and Godzilla also supposedly still attacked humans out of animosity than retaliation.
He was still a villain in GvsMG2, just more of an anti-vaillain since he was after Junior, problem was he was willing to blast anyone or anything in his way. Course once he did get Junior I felt he became an anti-hero, he seemed content to never bother humanity again. Spacegodzilla just happen to put humanity between him and Godzilla, and while the Burning form drove Godzilla into a temporary state of madness it seemed to pass after the Hong Kong incident and he seemed content to leave humans alone save for going after some reactors.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I agree with a lot of your complaints here. I'm especially glad that somebody else recognizes that Cranston in G'14 really isn't anything special (the character is written in broad strokes, and the performance is largely one note).

That said, I do like G'14, and would place it well above KotM, which may end up being the only Godzilla movie I never watch more than once.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Um, I believe Hedorah was banned Yesterday with the double warning. Or at least temporarily. Dunno if it's worth replying to him.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Um, I believe Hedorah was banned Yesterday with the double warning. Or at least temporarily. Dunno if it's worth replying to him.
It's not a private message, it's a post on a forum. The idea is that it's there for everybody to read, not just the person being quoted.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Hedorah, the King wrote:Number two the movie is so damn self-congradulatory. Godzilla Final Wars was an epic movie, it did epic things and was of epic proportions, this movie just says that it is. All they do in the movie is talk about how incredible and great and unstoppable Godzilla is like a 14 year old writing a bad fan fiction.
I got this same impression from GKOTM... Felt like high-budget fanfiction, especially in the last 30 minutes.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I want to be edgy too......

KOTM is a piece of shiit movie that only caters to moronic simple minded people. That we U.S fans got this shiit show of a movie is appalling to my intelectual sanity in kaiju movie genre to which I went to Harvard to study. The mere fact this movie underperformed is a testament to you western fans.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

You spelled "intellectual" wrong.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote:You spelled "intellectual" wrong.
Exaktly

Red Hunter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Red Hunter »

Heisei ghidorah could been even better if his origin wasn't about a fusion of 3 jerk looking future bat pets that simply mixed up by a atomic bomb and than becoming a f*cking e headed giant dragon like you mix 3 chocolate bars on the mixer and than u got a pizza

but his desing still cool

Also MKG isnt better than it could be cuz its controlled by humans. I mean c'mon hes a freaking cyborg, would be cooler if he could move think and fight by his own (maaybe programmed to follow rules like mechazilla showa or anything like that) Not being controlled like a toy

Added in 19 minutes 48 seconds:
Baragon98 wrote:I never watched ANY Godzilla movie (only the American one from 1998, but the original Godzilla, never). And I'm very confused about the stories's chronologies( and some monsters's chronologies also)
Six years have passed and nothing have changed that much lol. In afct I watched G14, 2019 in theathers and Im not confused about the timeline sanymore. Just didn't waatched all the other goji movies due to lack of time and interest (I never remember)

But at least I know waaaay more than when I first commented with this old account Im quoting
Last edited by Red Hunter on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Don't read this. You did, see ya in hell

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Red Hunter wrote:Heisei ghidorah could been even better if his origin wasn't about a fusion of 3 jerk looking future bat pets that simply mixed up by a atomic bomb and than becoming a f*cking e headed giant dragon like you mix 3 chocolate bars on the mixer and than u got a pizza

but his desing still cool

Also MKG isnt better than it could be cuz its controlled by humans. I mean c'mon hes a freaking cyborg, would be cooler if he could move think and fight by his own (maaybe programmed to follow rules like mechazilla showa or anything like that) Not being controlled like a toy
I agree that the origin is a bit of a let down, but I liked MKG. That it had a pilot in the chest is no big deal for me. So it's not remote controlled, like MG or the SX2, but it is still an interesting mech.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

_JNavs_ wrote:There's a certain big budget quality to Western films. Not always in regards to the script, but almost always in regards to dynamic angles within the film, be it shown in intense conversations, soft spoken confessions, or of course the action itself. It always looks "Quality", like it was made for the biggest screens possible.
What an odd post rife with stereotypical American exceptionalism. Been wanting to reply to this since I saw it weeks ago

Damn look at all this B-movie shit

I wouldn't label an entire country's output as looking like B-movies when America constantly pumps out horrible looking straight to DVD/streaming comedies and the largest studio makes movies that suffer from poor color grading and framing

Disney distributes bad looking blockbuster films but I'm not gonna label American films as looking like garbage
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.