Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Al Diplodocus
GPN Volunteer
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I think the opening cords of Beatles' Helter Skelter sound like Gabara's roars.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

There is a slight similarity, not exact, but I can kinda hear it.
Resized Image

Al Diplodocus
GPN Volunteer
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I really wonder now what if the Beatles starred in a Godzilla film, or at least a kaiju film, or even wrote a song for it either way.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

I could see them writing a song for one.

Or maybe have a scene on a submarine where a scientist has Yellow Submarine playing on his smartphone.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 am I’m way more excited for Singular Point and Shin Ultraman than I am Godzilla vs Kong. I love the MV, but the constant delays and total lack of any sort of trailer or news or anything of the sort has, at the moment, killed the hype for me.
I'll have to admit that I've reached this state too. Strange since I've been waiting patiently for any news since December the 8th.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I can store hype away for later use, which is why its kinda strange to me when I see people say their hype "completely diminished" or was "killed" because of delays. As far as SP and SU go? I feel like Shin won't take many chances so I really don't have much hype for it. Singular Point i will admit has my full attention though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
______________I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds, King of the Monsters._________________

Leviarex
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leviarex »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:22 pm Giving Godzilla a mate for once really isn't a bad idea.
If it was guaranteed that it wouldn't be as horribly executed as 'King Kong Lives' I could get behind that.

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I prefer Ultraman Powered over Ultraman Great. I won't go too in-depth as to why since my review for both should be coming soon and I've probably explained it in the Powered thread.

Added in 3 minutes 9 seconds:
Also, I find Destoroyah to be a kaiju that should only be used once. Same with Monster X.

villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

i like final wars,it's not that bad,DEAL IT

Al Diplodocus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I think the Claire de Lune in KOTM trailer sounds like the Trol Lol Lol song. Sorry for ruining it for you.

Living Corpse
Sazer

Post by Living Corpse »

I honestly don't give a poop about Godzilla: Singular Point. I'm starting to think anime is gonna be to Godzilla what games have been to Godzilla for the past few decades. Should work on paper but for whatever reason they make baffling decisions in practice making it okay at best and just not good or boring or meh 90% of the time. And some of the monsters designs in SP look like the fan art you see on Deviantart that turns monsters into generic Jurassic Park dinosaurs. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, heck I preached that when the Godzilla Earth trilogy was coming out but I got so burnt by that trio that it's kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. Also design does matter to an extent, otherwise we'd never use anything besides stick figures. Rodan being made to look like a real pteranodon kind of kills what made the character recognizable, a lot of kaiju are based off real animals but they're stylized. It kind of just emboldens the artists who want to make Godzilla a generic Jurassic Park T-rex "but with spikes!". Not that they can't draw that, more power to them if they want to, but now you can't use that as a criticism of their art cause now an official thing is doing that. The people saying this is the best Rodan ever because "he looks like what a real pteranodon looks like" are just completely missing the point. He's a movie monster, in much the same way Gamera is a turtle but unlike any turtle in real life, he's a Gamera, just as Rodan isn't a pteranodon, he's a Rodan. Godzilla isn't a T-rex, he's a Godzilla, etc.

If I didn't know SP was a thing and you showed me SP Rodan and a random pteranodon side by side and I, a long time Godzilla fan, can't tell which one is supposed to be Rodan and which is a random pteraodon from an upcoming Jurassic Park game, then you've failed in redesigning the character. Yes Rodan might transform into a more recognizable form later, but I ain't holding my breath. Not a fan of the art style either. The show could be good, I mean I enjoyed Peter Jackson's King Kong even though he turned King Kong into a generic gorilla "but big!" when he's supposed to be his own thing, a Kong.

Even ignoring the Godzilla Earth trilogy and SP, there's that baffling decision to do a crossover with Ice Godzilla in some robot anime no one outside of Japan save for the most hardcore of anime junkies has heard of, yeah all 100 of them. I honestly don't know if Toho knows what the skreeonk they are doing with Godzilla when it comes to anime, and I'm not gonna watch every single thing for them to figure it out. I already got burned by 3 films giving them a chance and hoping they would get better, I'm not gonna go through that again for 13 or 26 episodes of a show.

I feel that ironically Godzilla: The Animated Series is the closest thing to what I want out of a Godzilla anime. Very ironic since it had to retroactively fix problems that the American movie it's based off of made in the first place and attempt to repair damages it did to Godzilla's reputation.
Last edited by Living Corpse on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

After the initial shock of the trailer wore off, my SP hype dipped a lot, too. I'm still looking forward to it, but my optimism is tempered by the Trilogy, and it can't help but be overshadowed by GvK.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Sazer

Post by miguelnuva »

As bad as the film maybe, Godzilla's entrance in Megalon still puts a big goofy smile on my face because I remember seeing it as a kid for the first time.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

CrimsonBloodX
Monarch Researcher

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla: Singular Point is produced by Takashi Yoshizawa, the same guy who produced the Godzilla Earth trilogy. So I guess there is reason to show concern over SP. But after all the criticism the trilogy has received, I do think he now knows what the fans want in a Godzilla anime.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Post by UltramanGoji »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 pm Godzilla: Singular Point is produced by Takashi Yoshizawa, the same guy who produced the Godzilla Earth trilogy. So I guess there is reason to show concern over SP.
If that's literally the only shared credit, I think it's a complete non-issue.

Living Corpse
Sazer

Post by Living Corpse »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 pm Godzilla: Singular Point is produced by Takashi Yoshizawa, the same guy who produced the Godzilla Earth trilogy. So I guess there is reason to show concern over SP. But after all the criticism the trilogy has received, I do think he now knows what the fans want in a Godzilla anime.

But yeah, I feel like Godzilla animes are gonna be like a lot Godzilla games, a lot of wasted potential and mostly a letdown.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

The giant Pterosaur isn't a problem for me, as long as Rodan is portrayed well. Kaiju redesigns can be interesting, but what kills it is when the kaiju is a shadow of the character that we know.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:08 pm The giant Pterosaur isn't a problem for me, as long as Rodan is portrayed well. Kaiju redesigns can be interesting, but what kills it is when the kaiju is a shadow of the character that we know.

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 pm Godzilla: Singular Point is produced by Takashi Yoshizawa, the same guy who produced the Godzilla Earth trilogy. So I guess there is reason to show concern over SP. But after all the criticism the trilogy has received, I do think he now knows what the fans want in a Godzilla anime.
He probably works for Toho Animation in some capacity.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Living Corpse
Sazer

Post by Living Corpse »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:28 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:08 pm The giant Pterosaur isn't a problem for me, as long as Rodan is portrayed well. Kaiju redesigns can be interesting, but what kills it is when the kaiju is a shadow of the character that we know.

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Both are awful.