Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Hey, you're not a tRuE FaN! You're just a PHONY! A big, fat PHONY!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Fish Cakes wrote:Big confession: I haven't seen any Godzilla movies in full besides KotM and Shin in over 4 years and have no interest in watching or rewatching them. I just think Godzilla is neat and was more into the Atari games and Kaiju designs than anything.

I only hate on Heisei because it upsets some people I dislike, I actually really love Biollante, SpaceGodzilla, and Destroyah's designs. I don't even really remember the Heisei movies tbh, I just parrot what a friend says.
Can we get a based in chat?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fish Cakes wrote:Big confession: I haven't seen any Godzilla movies in full besides KotM and Shin in over 4 years and have no interest in watching or rewatching them. I just think Godzilla is neat and was more into the Atari games and Kaiju designs than anything.
I've been meaning to respond to this, but there's nothing wrong with this, because you don't bombard or insert yourself into conversations and act like you're an expert.

What really annoys me though, is as someone who has seen each film at least 20 times, when people who have maybe seen a dub or something maybe ten plus years ago, argue and argue with you, or base their opinion on something parroting some reviewer, or based on their perception of something from ten years ago. Like my perception of the franchise is super different from three years ago.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I've never found Kumonga to be creepy in any way. I watched Son of Godzilla when I was a child and he/she got no fearful reaction out of me. Honestly I've seen creepier/better spider monsters when I think about...

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Dracosaurian wrote:I've never found Kumonga to be creepy in any way. I watched Son of Godzilla when I was a child and he/she got no fearful reaction out of me. Honestly I've seen creepier/better spider monsters when I think about...
The real horror is that minya got 2 more movies afterwards

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

realinvaderdesign wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:I've never found Kumonga to be creepy in any way. I watched Son of Godzilla when I was a child and he/she got no fearful reaction out of me. Honestly I've seen creepier/better spider monsters when I think about...
The real horror is its 2019 and people still think "Minya sucks" jokes are funny

RIP Evan.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I've been meaning to respond to this, but there's nothing wrong with this, because you don't bombard or insert yourself into conversations and act like you're an expert.

What really annoys me though, is as someone who has seen each film at least 20 times, when people who have maybe seen a dub or something maybe ten plus years ago, argue and argue with you, or base their opinion on something parroting some reviewer, or based on their perception of something from ten years ago. Like my perception of the franchise is super different from three years ago.
Thanks, fam. I appreciate that.

I will say, I did legitimately dislike KotM and legitimately loved Shin due to both of their narratives and writing. Which I guess mirrors the "elitists" of the fandom which I find funny because I'm one of the least cultured, obnoxious, meme-spouting people I have the pleasure of being associated with.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I find it somewhat annoying that some people get overly-attached to a certain film/film series's lore and assume it applies to the entire franchise.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dracosaurian wrote:I find it somewhat annoying that some people get overly-attached to a certain film/film series's lore and assume it applies to the entire franchise.
This. Especially when it comes to Kevin memes. I didn't like it before but it got Worse when applied it to other Ghidorah incarnations.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think Kumonga is supposed to be creepy. Spiders and bugs seem to be used in fiction that way to make people feel grossed out, but I don't think they were trying to do that with Kumonga. Instead, he's scary (your mileage may vary) because he's enormous yet still preys on humans.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:I find it somewhat annoying that some people get overly-attached to a certain film/film series's lore and assume it applies to the entire franchise.
This. Especially when it comes to Kevin memes. I didn't like it before but it got Worse when applied it to other Ghidorah incarnations.
I honestly wasn't thinking about the Kevin head thing when I said that. To me it's a sorta dumb but harmless thing. I was thinking more about certain monsters/character's origins and whatnot.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:
The real horror is its 2019 and people still think "Minya sucks" jokes are funny
I agree. The same can be said for “I find minya annoying”. How many people actually believe that or are just parroting what internet reviewers say.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote: The real horror is that minya got 2 more movies afterwards
I agree. The same can be said for “I find minya annoying”. How many people actually believe that or are just parroting what internet reviewers say.
I do. I genuinely believe that. But only in Destroy All Monsters. He doesn't deserve the final blow on Ghidorah.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I liked that final blow. Ghidorah was already beaten to an inch of his life, and Minya, who has little in offensive abilities, gets to participate in his small way. Minya did more that Manda, Baragon, or Varan.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:I liked that final blow. Ghidorah was already beaten to an inch of his life, and Minya, who has little in offensive abilities, gets to participate in his small way. Minya did more that Manda, Baragon, or Varan.
Exactly.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

edgaguirus wrote:I liked that final blow. Ghidorah was already beaten to an inch of his life, and Minya, who has little in offensive abilities, gets to participate in his small way. Minya did more that Manda, Baragon, or Varan.
And that's my issue. Those other monsters should've gotten to participate instead of him. I don't jump onto any of the kaiju bandwagons. I genuinely just don't like Minya as much as say Little Godzilla. I thought he was cute in Son of Godzilla, but anything after that I dislike with him.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

I never saw godzilla1985 until a few years ago, my exposure to the movie as a kid was the hong kong dub on vhs, because of that I never had a problem with the kraken bluray of the movie as I didnt have any nostalgia for 85

Btw for those curious it was this tape Image

I should also add this includes the dubs for gigan and megalon aswell
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

realinvaderdesign wrote:I never saw godzilla1985 until a few years ago, my exposure to the movie as a kid was the hong kong dub on vhs, because of that I never had a problem with the kraken bluray of the movie as I didnt have any nostalgia for 85

Btw for those curious it was this tape Image
Considering most people haven't seen every Godzilla film, let alone older English versions, I wouldn't worry too much. That VHS cover is awesome btw.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm in a similar boat with regards to Showa nostalgia. Outside of KKvsG and KOTM, which I owned, I only saw each movie once or twice as a kid, so I never developed any particular attachment to the dubs. On top of that, up until around 2010 I was the type that considered the human sides of the stories something dull to be largely ignored or slogged through, so I just didn't pay much attention to the dialogue. I have the Classic Media set now and have come to love those dubs, but otherwise... I respect and am interested in revisiting the classic dubs of the other Showa movies, but at the same time I can't get too bent out of shape that the Criterion set doesn't include them. I haven't seen any version of GvMG or SoG in about fifteen years, so I'm just glad to finally have the Japanese cuts available.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GMK is basically the cutoff point for my interest in the Godzilla movies. I don’t know when I’ll ever revisit any of the later ones.

I’d gladly trade every Godzilla movie since then (and the Emmerich turd) for high quality modern transfers of the remaining films, especially for the Showa entries.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.