Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Legion1979 »

H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:47 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 pm I hate that a film is called "Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II" even though within that iteration of the series, there IS no Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla I.
Yeah, but that's Sony's fault, not Toho's. You can't blame the filmmakers for a marketing decision made by the American distributors made six years after the fact.
Was Sony allowed to rename films without Tohos input?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:41 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:06 pm I hate that a film is called "Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II" even though within that iteration of the series, there IS no Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla I.
Yeah, but that's Sony's fault, not Toho's. You can't blame the filmmakers for a marketing decision made by the American distributors made six years after the fact.
That's a good question. I believe the official English title today is Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, but it was released in Japan as Gojira tai Mekagojira.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is Toho's export title. Here it is (as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2") recorded by India's Central Board of Film Certification a full four years before TriStar's release.

Resized Image

And here is its U.S. copyright registration a year later by Toho. Primary title is "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," with "Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla" as an alternate (and this would have been a much better title, but oh well). TriStar had nothing to do with titling the film.

Resized Image

But anyway, as dumb as "...Mechagodzilla II" as a title, how is that fuel to be used against the Heisei Series? Just watch the Japanese version where there is no "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II" title.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:41 am

That's a good question. I believe the official English title today is Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, but it was released in Japan as Gojira tai Mekagojira.
Well, to complicate matters further, while "Gojira tai Mekagojira" is how that title would be pronounced in Japanese, it was written using "vs." rather than "tai."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My confession: no matter which studio made them, the Japanese always had great imaginations when it came to making monsters. The only other nation that comes close to them is Greece, with their mythology.

In fact, give me a Japanese kaiju film, good, bad, or indifferent, and I'm the happiest man alive.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 am
In fact, give me a Japanese kaiju film, good, bad, or indifferent, and I'm the happiest man alive.
Even Big Man Japan and Earth Defense Widow?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 am My confession: no matter which studio made them, the Japanese always had great imaginations when it came to making monsters. The only other nation that comes close to them is Greece, with their mythology.

While I love Japanese and Greek monsters… I dunno. Statements like these feel reductive. There’s a rich world of mythology out there beyond the famous Greek/Norse/Egyptian triad, and modern fiction has given us memorable creatures from all over the globe. Think of the Bram Stolker’s vampire, the xenomorph alien, the pale man from Pan’s Labyrinth.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:07 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 am
Even Big Man Japan and Earth Defense Widow?
I saw the first one once and it was pretty good. I haven't seen the other one yet, though. In fact, I never heard of it, to tell you the truth.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 am
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 am My confession: no matter which studio made them, the Japanese always had great imaginations when it came to making monsters. The only other nation that comes close to them is Greece, with their mythology.

While I love Japanese and Greek monsters… I dunno. Statements like these feel reductive. There’s a rich world of mythology out there beyond the famous Greek/Norse/Egyptian triad, and modern fiction has given us memorable creatures from all over the globe. Think of the Bram Stoker’s vampire, the xenomorph alien, the pale man from Pan’s Labyrinth.
Oh, I agree 100%. It's just that I haven't seen a Dracula film in years (the last one I remember seeing in a theater was Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)), the only Alien film I've ever seen is Alien vs. Predator (and I liked that one; I just wish I'd seen Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem in a theater, like I did with the other one), and I've never even seen Pan's Labyrinth, though I know of the film by name.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Reposted afterward.
Last edited by H-Man on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm In fact, give me a Japanese kaiju film, good, bad, or indifferent, and I'm the happiest man alive.
H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm Even Big Man Japan and Earth Defense Widow?
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 pm I saw the first one once and it was pretty good. I haven't seen the other one yet, though. In fact, I never heard of it, to tell you the truth.
Last edited by H-Man on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:32 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:25 pm In fact, give me a Japanese kaiju film, good, bad, or indifferent, and I'm the happiest man alive.
H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:18 pm Even Big Man Japan and Earth Defense Widow?

Looks pretty good!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

1. I think most of Godzilla's MonsterVerse design, especially 2014, look a bit like that one Penguin from Madagascar, wspecially in terms of the snout.
2. I can't listen to Clair de Lune in the KOTM without think it sounds like Troll lol lol like the meme song.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think I care for Ultraman anymore.

I don't hate it or anything now, but I have utterly no desire to catch up on the latest shows and with Mill Creek's Western releases switching to mostly DVD for the foreseeable future and Bandai's bombardment of expensive SHF figures, I don't have any desire to continue collecting it either. I'll continue to admire it from afar and will still love shows like Mebius, but my days of keeping up with each new series and having figures and every new home media release are probably over.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I hate that "Destroyer of worlds" MV Ghidorah barely does any real destroying.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:22 pm I hate that "Destroyer of worlds" MV Ghidorah barely does any real destroying.
Tell that to Washington.

(But assuming you mean on-screen, then yeah, I wish we got some of that.)
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d argue we saw better “world destroying” with Showa and Heisei.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:22 pm I hate that "Destroyer of worlds" MV Ghidorah barely does any real destroying.
Did the most on screen world destroying we've gotten from a Ghidorah so far.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Showa and Heisei Ghidorah hitting some buildings with their electric beams while causing some slight dusting does not equate to MV Ghidorah literally flooding Washington with catastrophic floods, lightning storms beyond comprehension taking up the entire sky, and more than twenty tornados going on at once. Let alone where ever he goes he brings a Cat 9 hurricane with him.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 pm Showa and Heisei Ghidorah hitting some buildings with their electric beams while causing some slight dusting does not equate to MV Ghidorah literally flooding Washington with catastrophic floods, lightning storms beyond comprehension taking up the entire sky, and more than twenty tornados going on at once. Let alone where ever he goes he brings a Cat 9 hurricane with him.
In a very short scene that doesn't dwell on the destruction in the way the Showa films did, yes. :P

Also GTTHM was anything but "some slight dusting". You're thinking of Monster Zero.