Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Smuggers »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who try to bill Godzilla's Revenge as one of the worst movies ever haven't actually watched the movie and are just parroting what they've heard in reviews and whatnot.
Spoiler:
I've never actually seen All Monsters Attack (Gozilla's Revenge is just a shit title, sorry not sorry) so I can't say for sure where it sits quality-wise. If I had to pick a bottom three from each era, it'd probably be Vs Gigan, Spacegodzilla and Megaguirus.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla's Revenge is still better than nearly all of the post-1967 Showa Gamera films, so there's that going for it.

Arguably it's better than Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, and Godzilla: Final Wars, too; least in my opinion.

It's almost certainly better than the likes of Reptilian, Monster X Strikes Back, or Death Kappa.

And that's just sticking to the kaiju genre. There's far worse things out there than Godzilla's Revenge.

Trust me. I've seen some shit.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 pm I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who try to bill Godzilla's Revenge as one of the worst movies ever haven't actually watched the movie and are just parroting what they've heard in reviews and whatnot.
Spoiler:
I've never actually seen All Monsters Attack (Gozilla's Revenge is just a poop title, sorry not sorry) so I can't say for sure where it sits quality-wise. If I had to pick a bottom three from each era, it'd probably be Vs Gigan, Spacegodzilla and Megaguirus.
I have seen it and own it on VHS and it still sucks. It's people trying so damn hard to make it seem more special than it actually is. Going so far as to giving it some spiritual high ground moral to a story about a bullied boy with an imagination who ends up rolling with his tormenters and saying "If you can't beat them join them". Pretty weird.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Smuggers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 pm
Spoiler:
I've never actually seen All Monsters Attack (Gozilla's Revenge is just a shit title, sorry not sorry) so I can't say for sure where it sits quality-wise. If I had to pick a bottom three from each era, it'd probably be Vs Gigan, Spacegodzilla and Megaguirus.
My bottom 5, representing one from each era would be Megalon (even though I enjoy this far more than Gigan and Ebirah, per say), SpaceGodzilla, Megaguirus, KOTM and City on the Edge of blah-blah-blah.
For Emperor and Empire!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I have no special feelings or thoughts on Godzilla's Revenge, it exists and I acknowledge its presence. I just don't really feel or see the reason to argue for or against its existence I just let it be. It just does not affect me

Unlike that deer that comes outside my window at night and stares at me

The stare is ever long with no blinking, I think it has saber teeth. Sometimes I can feel its breath come up from the floor of my house
KK42 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:06 am
It's almost certainly better than the likes of Reptilian, Monster X Strikes Back, or Death Kappa.
Reptilian is awesome, silence you're foul tongue! Its a hilarious mess of a movie with spontaneous stuff that comes out of nowhere thanks to it being a mish mash of cutting room floor footage. It is the perfect silly movie, while I've yet to see Death Kappa or Monster X Strikes back but from what I've seen

It is impossible for a Killer frog movie not to have quality by metric of being a giant killer Frog movie
And that's just sticking to the kaiju genre. There's far worse things out there than Godzilla's Revenge.
Watching bad movies here is hardly an accomplishment, almost everyone here has seen every bad Asylum movie and watched MST3K, lol. Practically preaching to the choir

Now if you want to watch something really dry try finding the over 4-5 hour long Curse of King Tutt's tomb with Casper van dein

Now that is pain
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Smuggers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:55 pm I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who try to bill Godzilla's Revenge as one of the worst movies ever haven't actually watched the movie and are just parroting what they've heard in reviews and whatnot.
I can say without a shadow of a doubt this is how a big chunk of the fandom treats Son of Godzilla.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 pm I’m convinced that this new Godzilla’s revenge appreciation wave is so people can feel special and above “those fans” by being horribly contrarian
I can say for my own experience with Godzilla's Revenge, it's definitely not about feeling special. I hated it since I was a kid. And it was only about a year or so ago when I watched it with my son that something about it clicked. It's infinitely far from perfect, still ranks in my bottom 10, but I appreciate certain aspects of it far more than I ever did before. I'm not sure if it was just watching it with my son, or if it was something about being a father, but my perception on it has absolutely changed for a better.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

NOBODY is saying Godzilla's Revenge is Seven Samurai here. But the thing I find wonderful about the Godzilla series is every film has a little something to love about it.
When you've watched all the movies so many times eventually there's some strengths that shine thru even the "worst" entries. Godzilla's Revenge gets some deserved flack for heavy stock footage use and kid-focused plot, which in the context of the series is totally fair. But within that "bad" Godzilla movie is a pretty decent kid's movie that's a little smarter than most of the crap that gets churned out for the kid market. Again, I don't love the movie but I don't think it's fair to completely write it off either.
I'd personally rather try and see something positive in a film than shit on it just to shit on it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't like Michiru Oshima's Godzilla theme at all. Actually, I'd call it one of, if not the worst Godzilla theme. The song doesn't even sound like something that'd fit the Big G, more like a slowed-down military march.

Kiryu, however, has my second favorite Mechagodzilla theme.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am
eabaker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 am
godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Can someone please tell me what is so special about Hedorah? On here it is treated like some quality piece of cinema but I find it has about equal message pull as something like GKOM (Pollution is bad...okay?). Seriously I just don't see what is so special about this flick apart from the drug-induced "style" choice which doesn't really add much of anything for me.

And personally I think things like GVK capture more of the fun/silly Showa spirit than a fair number of films you listed. Just feel there is this odd double standard on here against the MonsterVerse (Which is funny considering it is usually the Heisei flicks that get it rough here.)
Hedorah has duende. You either feel it or your don't, but you can't parse duende.

And I'm not talking about the fun/silly aspect of the Showa series (which I don't find nearly as dominant an aspect of that era [or of the MV] as you seem to). I'm referring much more to cinematic/storytelling technique/style. Besides, Shin is a lot of fun and not without silly moments.
I am more focusing on the general tone of the films per say as well as the energy behind it, but given you pulled the duende card I'll just leave it as well played for the time being.
LOL! Honestly, "you can't parse duende" may be the most purely eabaker sentence I've ever typed! (Not the IRL Evan, mind you, whose everyday vocabulary involves a lot more cussing and Simpsons references.)

Tone is difficult to... darn it, I was about to use the word "parse" again! Read? Agree upon? When it comes down to it, these movies are multi-faceted, and we all respond to different elements of them in our own ways/to varying degrees. I'm certainly not trying to argue that that MV films aren't in some ways very reminiscent of a lot of the Showa movies; I'm just offering my perspectives on why they don't land that way for me, and I'm interested in why they do strike other people as having so much in common.

Added in 6 minutes 19 seconds:
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:25 am NOBODY is saying Godzilla's Revenge is Seven Samurai here. But the thing I find wonderful about the Godzilla series is every film has a little something to love about it.
When you've watched all the movies so many times eventually there's some strengths that shine thru even the "worst" entries. Godzilla's Revenge gets some deserved flack for heavy stock footage use and kid-focused plot, which in the context of the series is totally fair. But within that "bad" Godzilla movie is a pretty decent kid's movie that's a little smarter than most of the crap that gets churned out for the kid market. Again, I don't love the movie but I don't think it's fair to completely write it off either.
I'd personally rather try and see something positive in a film than shit on it just to shit on it.
Very much this. There's a really good series of blogs/books on Doctor Who called TARDIS Eruditorum, and the author refers to a lot of what he does as "redemptive readings." He's not writing reviews, and his goal isn't to just flatly declare a thing "good" or "bad;" he tries to find some kind of meaning, value, or relevance in every story. With series that I'm really interested in, I know I'm going to go back and re-watch even the "bad" entries - or, perhaps, say rather "the entries I don't personally like"? - and if I do so looking for the redemptive reading, it helps me to stay engaged, and at the end of the day I'm happier liking a thing than disliking it.

Not that any of that is even necessary for me in regards to Godzilla's Revenge, because - "good" or "bad" aside - I really enjoy that movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I don’t know what is a objectively good movies, now. I mean I’ve been so dependent on a lot of reviewer’s to make my own opinion, Now I’m trying to make my own opinions and it’s somewhat difficult
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm I don’t know what is a objectively good movies, now. I mean I’ve been so dependent on a lot of reviewer’s to make my own opinion, Now I’m trying to make my own opinions and it’s somewhat difficult
It's not about objectivity so much as it is thinking about why you like/dislike something. That's what an opinion is.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm I don’t know what is a objectively good movies, now. I mean I’ve been so dependent on a lot of reviewer’s to make my own opinion, Now I’m trying to make my own opinions and it’s somewhat difficult
It's not about objectivity so much as it is thinking about why you like/dislike something. That's what an opinion is.
Your right, I got a little mix up

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Dunno if this is that controversial but i actually prefer Millenium Gigan to Showa Gigan. I love both, but Milleniums design and abilities are a lot cooler/better imho
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

He's so cool his exploded from all the coolness.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm Dunno if this is that controversial but i actually prefer Millenium Gigan to Showa Gigan. I love both, but Milleniums design and abilities are a lot cooler/better imho
I do agree a hundred percent. I liked the look better and loved the idea of him modifying its weapons and even found his bit of "ancient invader" backstory of interest.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:25 am NOBODY is saying Godzilla's Revenge is Seven Samurai here. But the thing I find wonderful about the Godzilla series is every film has a little something to love about it.
I'd personally rather try and see something positive in a film than poop on it just to poop on it.
:applause:

This guy gets it. And I think part of the appeal for me is that it feels so... harmless. I went into my first viewing, circa 2004, with years of reading the terrible reviews in mind, and prepared for some kind of atrocity. Instead, I got... a film with a lot of monster action wherein Minya talks and, like any number of others, the protagonist was a kid. It was nothing much to write home about either way, and I felt that the negativity was ridiculously over-the-top. Affection for its unique qualities and silliness grew from there.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

We’ve gone from hating Revenge to liking it, then saying those who don’t hate it just wanna get attention, then back to liking it. Wowsers.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

To be fair I still hate Revenge. So my attitude has unchanged, but I'll respect other people finding enjoyment in it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:20 pm We’ve gone from hating Revenge to liking it, then saying those who don’t hate it just wanna get attention, then back to liking it. Wowsers.
Hell nah, that movie still sucks. And I don't care if people just likes it, it's when they try to say it's this big metaphorical grandeur of a movie, that's my problem with people.