Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Smuggers »

I'm not usually one to complain about hokey effects, especially when it comes to a series like this but man does the UFO in G2000 look like shit.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

^^^ It doesn't help that the lighting with a bunch of the digital effects and composites is just ass.

But yeah, Biollante looks great. Things such as the use of intense rain, smooth pans from Omori's on location footage to Kawakita's set, backlighting, the wide variety of focal lengths for the lens, optically added smoke, numerous locations, coverage from both above and under water, etc. made it far more interesting than it's sequels.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While the effects for the UFO may be lacking, it had a good design imo. We didn't get the usual saucer or flying disk shape. The shape had more visual appeal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Smuggers wrote:I'm not usually one to complain about hokey effects, especially when it comes to a series like this but man does the UFO in G2000 look like poop.
UFO? Oh, you must mean that giant flying bicycle seat.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"Did you see the flying rock go by?!"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:While the effects for the UFO may be lacking, it had a good design imo. We didn't get the usual saucer or flying disk shape. The shape had more visual appeal.
I agree, I also like how design elements were integrated into the Millenian and Orga.

One thing Im really confused by though is why they didn`t just use a prop in front of a green screen.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Smuggers wrote:I'm not usually one to complain about hokey effects, especially when it comes to a series like this but man does the UFO in G2000 look like poop.
UFO? Oh, you must mean that giant flying bicycle seat.
God damn it..... I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Yes!

I'm not fucking crazy afterall.......yay :huge:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

After seeing KotM I've become largely convinced that its impossible for an American kaiju film to ever truly impress me. Comparing the MonsterVerse to other Hollywood blockbuster types its done almost nothing to set itself apart from every other Hollywood spectacle film that I've seen these past several years. If it had been released 20 years ago I'd have probably loved it regardless of its faults but in this day and age it just feels like more of the same. That how something like Shin Godzilla can largely blow my mind. In my head I'm automatically comparing it to other Japanese FX/kaiju films to which it is incredibly impressive in comparison. American blockbuster will always be compared to other American blockbusters. Its just a frame of mind that I find impossible to escape these days.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:"Did you see the flying rock go by?!"
Ha, he must have thought it was a bedpan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:After seeing KotM I've become largely convinced that its impossible for an American kaiju film to ever truly impress me. Comparing the MonsterVerse to other Hollywood blockbuster types its done almost nothing to set itself apart from every other Hollywood spectacle film that I've seen these past several years. If it had been released 20 years ago I'd have probably loved it regardless of its faults but in this day and age it just feels like more of the same. That how something like Shin Godzilla can largely blow my mind. In my head I'm automatically comparing it to other Japanese FX/kaiju films to which it is incredibly impressive in comparison. American blockbuster will always be compared to other American blockbusters. Its just a frame of mind that I find impossible to escape these days.
I intend to make a long thread at some point about how American`s(or any foreign country in general) can never really make a "true" Godzilla film simply because of being a different culture, and bluntly, not being hit by a nuclear bomb. I`m not trying to come off as a weeaboo or japanese elitist, but its why I think Cloverfield is a better Godzilla movie. In that Cloverfield is something really specific to NYC/America, and it`s impossible for a foreign country to really make a film about or inspired by those tragic events.

I think what`s fantastic though, is that the Godzilla franchise has proved why art is so vital. While as an American (and young japanese people) can`t really understand what these things are like (and that`s a good thing) we can learn and get a sense of what happened and understand emotionally due to film and art.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The Anime trilogy just didn't do it for me. They were the first Godzilla films where I just didn't feel anything be it excitement, anger, or etc. They just felt...empty.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dracosaurian wrote:The Anime trilogy just didn't do it for me. They were the first Godzilla films where I just didn't feel anything be it excitement, anger, or etc. They just felt...empty.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

Yeah, I was fighting to stay awake during the anime trilogy. For some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening. And considering the stakes were higher than in just about any other Godzilla film, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:The Anime trilogy just didn't do it for me. They were the first Godzilla films where I just didn't feel anything be it excitement, anger, or etc. They just felt...empty.
What was it about them that didn't work for you if you don't mind me asking?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dracosaurian wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
What was it about them that didn't work for you if you don't mind me asking?
Dude there's not enough time in the day to answer this question.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The only one i could fully watch end to end was the third one, which was a complete mindfucc in the third act, literally everybody died in a dream sequence, mothra twin #1 got decapitated by the three headed confetti. The first one i was pumped watching for the first 15 minutes, then nothing happened, Minya Earth died, then Massive Pops comes outta nowhere with his walker, beard and nose laser.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I thought the anime movies got better and better with each one, wasn’t a huge fan of the first, liked the second one a whole hell of a lot more, and the third was really good, at least it’s been the only one I’ve rewatched a few times.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stump Feet wrote:I thought the anime movies got better and better with each one, wasn’t a huge fan of the first, liked the second one a whole hell of a lot more, and the third was really good, at least it’s been the only one I’ve rewatched a few times.
Yeah, this was my experience. First one is a borefest filled with technobabble, shame people let that one paint their views of the other films.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

First one was okayish otherwise the other two were...Eh...

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Honestly not sure what to think of this trilogy. Like, it has some incredibely unique concepts and ideas, and in some places it does manage to execute them quite well. Not to mention it depicts a post apocalyptic "Godzilla wins" scenario, something which I felt was a fresh take. And it does have some thematic depth to it, albeit a lot of that has pretty nihilistic tones.

It's just everything else that doesn't work for me. The bizarre and clunky 3D/2D cross animation (sorry, I really dislike the CGI anime trend. It works in some cases like with Ghidorah's noodle necks and MG city, but overall it just feels off) the surprisingly bland scenery, the underwhelming execution of certain plot aspects, the so-so cast of characters etc. I really don't hate those films- they have a lot of positive attributes, and i'm glad they tried to break the mold with them. They just feel...stale. Like, I don't even know how to explain it, the story concept doesn't seem as interesting and exciting as it should have been. It's not good, but it's not bad either- just feels empty.

But then again, it's just my opinion. Glad to see the movies are getting liked and appreciated around the fanbase anyway :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.