Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by edgaguirus »

Shin Godzilla was an unexpected experiment that worked. It was a new idea that made Godzilla even more frightening.

It might work if you make a theme of man's pollution and destruction of nature as a cause for these metamorphic monsters, and man is reaping the consequences of his actions. Otherwise, it might just seem repeating an idea that worked for the previous film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

For a long time I thought Showa Rodan has laser eyes. A lot of the early promo materials showed Rodan with his eyes whited out. Somehow I got eye lasers out of that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I've made an about face on one of my most infamous options.

Save all of the classic Dubs, restore all of the US versions.

It sucks that some of these films didn't get Dubs, or good Dubs when they were first made...it sucks some of them are only in English as alternate versions.

But struggling and hoping for history to be rewritten isn't worth much. It played out the way it played out.

They don't deserve to be lost forever. I'm officially in the camp of hoping that all invested parties get it all sorted and we can get some comprehensive archival releases of this franchise.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Still holding out hope one day for a Planet of the Apes reboot quality American Godzilla trilogy. Hell just one film even.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I wanna see Toho make another Kong film.. I don't have any real reason for wanting this honestly; I just wanna see what weird poop they can come up with. :lol:

Out of every possible Godzilla crossover, a Lovecraft crossover is my favorite, and I'd be up to see how Toho could tackle the Cthulhu Mythos while combining it with their own brand.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:02 am I wanna see Toho make another Kong film.. I don't have any real reason for wanting this honestly; I just wanna see what weird poop they can come up with. :lol:

Out of every possible Godzilla crossover, a Lovecraft crossover is my favorite, and I'd be up to see how Toho could tackle the Cthulhu Mythos while combining it with their own brand.
I second the Godzilla/Lovecraft crossover. Think that would be quite the fitting connection and could make for something pretty cool~

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I feel the attack on Rolisca in Mothra is one of the best sfx sequences of the series. I watched the film last night, and all the cars and objects blowing around in that wind give a real sense and force of how powerful Mothra's wings are. The collapsing bridge and buildings also look good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:02 am Out of every possible Godzilla crossover, a Lovecraft crossover is my favorite, and I'd be up to see how Toho could tackle the Cthulhu Mythos while combining it with their own brand.
Hadn't really thought of this till learning Godzilla vs. Cthulhu was something pitched back in 1994, now I'm definitely on board!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I want Gamera and Ultraman to have a crossover far more than I want either to crossover with Godzilla.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:16 pm I want Gamera and Ultraman to have a crossover far more than I want either to crossover with Godzilla.
I could get behind that. It would still be an awesome crossover, and the story is rife with pathos because of Gamera’s kinder relations with humanity.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can see the pair working together to stop a major threat to the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm not a Godzilla fan.

I'm not a giant monster fan.

I'm not a fan of Japanese movies.

I'm something more specific. I'm a fan of Japanese special effects films and television series made between 1954 and, let's just say, 1980. I love all of Toho's sci fi output from that time frame. I love Daiei's stuff. I love all the vintage Ultraman series. You get the idea.

While I can enjoy things made in the past 40 years, I dont really LIKE a lot of it, and I LOVE even less. I was definitely a fan of Godzilla the character as a kid and teenager, but I'm not anymore. I couldn't care less about anything he's appeared in since the Milennium series ended. I dont need to watch all the new stuff Godzilla is in. That ship sailed years ago. I'll check out the Monsterverse whenever a new movie pops up, but otherwise whatever. Earth Godzilla? Shin? Gemstone? Ultima? My world doesn't change a bit if that stuff was to cease to exist.

All I need is the first 25 years of Japanese tokusatsu films and TV, with maybe a little from the following 20-25 years, but not much. Otherwise I'm good.

(Definitely saves me money on merchandise)
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've been thinking of posting something similar. I'd say that what I'm a fan of, though, is broadly giant monsters as a Japanese live action film genre, with a particular emphasis on output from Toho studios, and in turn with a broad but not limiting preference for their Showa-era output.

The main thing, for me, is that the appeal of these movies is rooted in the experience of seeing real human actors respond to fantastical monsters, ideally realized through practical means, and with an aesthetic and thematic approach that other countries' filmmakers have never been able to reproduce (because it is rooted in Japanese traditions and perspectives).
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Your explanation pretty much is the reason I love the older films. I just didn't want to write a novel.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I just love the post WW2/Cold War era of monster movies in general. Godzilla just happens to be the most prolific and instantly recognizable.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm a sci fi and monster fan in general. I enjoy the variety of stories and creatures they feature.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm honestly getting quite bugged by how little Mothra and Rodan are appearing in MonsterVerse media. I wasn't expecting spin-off comics featuring them or whatever but it's just occured to me that both of them have COMPLETELY disappeared and there's still no sign of them coming back for the next movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra was killed by KG and may not have had time to lay an egg. If they wanted to, another larva could be introduced.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:42 pm I'm honestly getting quite bugged by how little Mothra and Rodan are appearing in MonsterVerse media. I wasn't expecting spin-off comics featuring them or whatever but it's just occured to me that both of them have COMPLETELY disappeared and there's still no sign of them coming back for the next movie.
They probably won't return unless it's for a DAM scenario. I assume they would have to be licensed again for the new movie, and they don't seem to have helped KOTM make money, so Legendary might consider them a risky investment now. Or Toho is being difficult, or Legendary just doesn't want them for the next movie because there's no role for them. Or they just haven't been mentioned yet because the marketing campaign hasn't started. Who knows?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

As the years go on I become less harsh on kaiju media in general. As a teenager I had strict standards, but now in my mid 20’s I’m just happy to sit back and enjoy the movie.

Sure I have my likes and dislikes, but I don’t really hate nearly as much kaiju media than I used to
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?