Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Overall, I like Gamera more than Godzilla.
Resized Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The Heisei Gamera trilogy blows the Godzilla franchise out of the water except for one film it can never touch

Godzilla vs Biollante.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I definitely think that Gamera 1 and 3 are super solid, and are some of the best of the kaiju genre. Gamera 2 had good effects, but I couldn’t invest in the human plot for the life of me.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gamera 3 for me sucked. I see Irys or whatever as a Biollante rip off but it flies. The plot was never interesting to me and the little girl was annoying. So one and two are the better entries for me.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Thought back over the last 10 years of my life and came up with 15 confessions of mine.
Alright, here we go.
1. I genuinely like every single Godzilla movie...…except the anime trilogy.
2. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Gigan, and Godzilla vs Megalon are some of the best Showa films and no one can convince me otherwise.
3. Despite what I just said, Jet Jaguar is the worst Godzilla kaiju, by far, and this new anime version already looks way better.
4. As you could probably imagine, based on my opinion on Jet Jaguar, I have no interest in Ultraman whatsoever, and from an outsider looking in, it looks kinda dumb. I'm willing to change my mind on this though.
5. On a similar note, every Ultraman stan/fan account I've ever talked to was an insufferable piece of garbage. The toxicity I received made me even less interested in Ultraman.
6. I haven't seen a single Gamera movie, and yet still I fucking love Gamera. (I own all the movies, just been too busy, you know?)
7. Kiryu-Goji and Ghido-Goji are the best, and Kiryu-Goji is far superior to the snaggle toothed, hunchback, "TOTALLY RADICAL!1!1!" Godzilla 2000 suit.
8. Godzilla 2014 is a fantastic movie, and so is Shin Godzilla. Both movies masterfully use tone and score to make up for fairly one dimensional, but serviceable, characters.
9. GFW is awesome, and so is KOTM. To pretend that these movies are sooooo much worse than past movies is just BS and blatantly disohonest.
10. Godzilla is unironically my favorite monster. I would HONESTLY rather buy more figures of the Big G than any other kaiju.
11. I love Matt Frank to death, but Godzilla Neo is lame. At least the older stuff.
12. Each of the new Singular Point designs so far, aside from Rodan, has been really good.
13. I genuinely love basically every vinyl to come out of Bandai Japan, regardless of paint quality.
14. Godzilla 1998 and Zilla are both awesome in their own right. And I blame the Hollywood Executives, not Roland Emmerich and especially not Dean Devlin & Pat Tatopoulos.
15. The Heisei series is awesome...but like, so is the Showa, and so is the Reiwa, and so is the Millenium.

Thats all for now.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thats pretty good.
I agree with 2 but Ebirah is very low on my list
The anime trilogy did suck
And yeah most Ultraman fans suck I agree, they come off as smug pieces of shiiit.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

goji89 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:48 pm Thats pretty good.
And yeah most Ultraman fans suck I agree, they come off as smug pieces of shiiit.
I don't want to say MOST fans. From my experience, its mainly the super obsessed "I have Ultraman in my username and profile picture and signature and use Ultraman reaction gifs to every post I see" type people. Also, MOST Ultraman fans are probably also Godzilla fans and vice versa, and I certainly wouldn't say that most Godzilla fans are bad.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 pm
I don't want to say MOST fans. From my experience, its mainly the super obsessed "I have Ultraman in my username and profile picture and signature and use Ultraman reaction gifs to every post I see" type people. Also, MOST Ultraman fans are probably also Godzilla fans and vice versa, and I certainly wouldn't say that most Godzilla fans are bad.
Godzilla fans are the worst lol.

Stick around and you'll see why.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

goji89 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:54 pm

That's fair. I'm new here. The deviantart Godzilla community I previously came from was pure cringe in its most toxic form *cough* AsylusGoji91, Daizua123 *cough*
I was FRIENDS with some of those people. Dark times, man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:57 pm

That's fair. I'm new here. The deviantart Godzilla community I previously came from was pure cringe in its most toxic form *cough* AsylusGoji91, Daizua123 *cough*
Oh damn Deviantart lol..... you wanna rile up a Godzilla fan get the year of any goji movie wrong, not knowing deep cut characters from God knows what, not knowing who got the directors cup of coffee on a particular shoot day, and not caring for subs or dubs. Not ALL but the a few. Not anyone in particular from here though but you'll eventually see it.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

goji89 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Oh damn Deviantart lol..... you wanna rile up a Godzilla fan get the year of any goji movie wrong, not knowing deep cut characters from God knows what, not knowing who got the directors cup of coffee on a particular shoot day, and not caring for subs or dubs. Not ALL but the a few. Not anyone in particular from here though but you'll eventually see it.
My favorite things from the deviantart days were the weird number of Godzilla fans that were:
1. Really bad artists
2. Really poorly spoken, as if they were children
3. Extremely opinionated and bad with criticism
4. For some reason obsessed with Godzilla being a Tyrannosaur specifically as opposed to any other species of dinosaur.
5. Really into roleplaying in the comment section as opposed to actually writing for their Godzilla timelines.
7. And to top it all off, they are all 35-40 years old...some how. Like, to the point where me as a 12 year old (when I first got on deviantart, damn, its been soooo long XD) could not only draw better than them but speak more eloquently than them and take criticism better.

There were a stupid number of people who checked each of these boxes. Like, to the point where I start to wonder if they might be the same person with a bunch of accounts.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If they're anything like most kids, the 35-40 age is just them trying to circumvent the site's age restrictions.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:02 pm

My favorite things from the deviantart days were the weird number of Godzilla fans that were:
1. Really bad artists
2. Really poorly spoken, as if they were children
3. Extremely opinionated and bad with criticism
4. For some reason obsessed with Godzilla being a Tyrannosaur specifically as opposed to any other species of dinosaur.
5. Really into roleplaying in the comment section as opposed to actually writing for their Godzilla timelines.
7. And to top it all off, they are all 35-40 years old...some how. Like, to the point where me as a 12 year old (when I first got on deviantart, damn, its been soooo long XD) could not only draw better than them but speak more eloquently than them and take criticism better.

There were a stupid number of people who checked each of these boxes. Like, to the point where I start to wonder if they might be the same person with a bunch of accounts.
Lol. I bet, but try to criticize someone's art on here defining it as cringe or anything short of you praising the guy and his art you'll get scolded because art is subjective and all that jazz.
Last edited by goji89 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:13 pm If they're anything like most kids, the 35-40 age is just them trying to circumvent the site's age restrictions.
That is probably true, in most cases. I can however think of at least two where I was able to confirm that they were, indeed, manchildren. One of em had a youtube channel for really dumb videos and the other actually spoke at some event somewhere in Europe. IDK what that was about, but he was a pony-tailed neck beard, as I expected.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Yeah pony-tailed neck beards are the worse lol.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

To this day, I have never seen any of the non-Godzilla Toho kaiju flicks in full besides Frankenstein vs Baragon, which then leads into the fact that I only ever and will only ever call it by that title. ‘Frankenstein conquers the world’? He dies in the end, in two seperate cuts!
For Emperor and Empire!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I will say... all this DeviantArt talk brings me back to the good old days during the 2004-2014 Godzilla drought where we had the wAtari games holding us over, seeing Matt Franks neo-Godzilla artwork on top of other classic artworks. Less brony and overly obese fat chick art and more actual monster artwork that looked awesome! Good old days.
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKong2005 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 pm I will say... all this DeviantArt talk brings me back to the good old days during the 2004-2014 Godzilla drought where we had the wAtari games holding us over, seeing Matt Franks neo-Godzilla artwork on top of other classic artworks. Less brony and overly obese fat chick art and more actual monster artwork that looked awesome! Good old days.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely.

Although I'll say as an artist who just recently posted my first redesign over there, the epicmonster/creature/fantasy stuff is all there in surplus. Just have to pick the right genres when making an account.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:48 pm
KingKong2005 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 pm I will say... all this DeviantArt talk brings me back to the good old days during the 2004-2014 Godzilla drought where we had the wAtari games holding us over, seeing Matt Franks neo-Godzilla artwork on top of other classic artworks. Less brony and overly obese fat chick art and more actual monster artwork that looked awesome! Good old days.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely.

Although I'll say as an artist who just recently posted my first redesign over there, the epicmonster/creature/fantasy stuff is all there in surplus. Just have to pick the right genres when making an account.
Agreed! That's the crazy thing. It's just so easy now to stumble upon like Gamera Godzilla and Kong having a threeway or something. Back then it wasn't so easy. Now whenever checking my inbox at DA in public I gotta look side to side like I'm about to unveil horrors the world is yet to witness!
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The current kaiju fanbase around DA is something I wish I never had the "pleasure" to witness. There are some legitimately good artists still around but 90% are bizarre crossovers, poorly opinionated and spoken takes, childish drama and fetish art that makes my skin crawl. Certinialy lives up to the site's name :lol: