Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:00 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:47 pm Mechagodzilla 2, to me atleast, is the 1975 Mechagodzilla. I don’t know if people still call the Heisei version ‘Mechagodzilla 2’, but I remember it being very popular thanks to the movie’s title and strangely enough the Pipeworks games.
The MG of ToMG, to me, is the same mech. As for the 93 version, I just call it Heisei MG.
Ditto.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't own KotM or GvK and I'm not sure I ever will. I've said before I'd pick them up if I ever found them in the $5 bin (and I may yet), but I see that Amazon has KotM on BD at $6.90 right now, and I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on it lol.

I feel slightly guilty about this. I've had copies of every available Godzilla movie since 1999, and I've never sat out a home video release of a Godzilla movie for this long. Part of that is because I couldn't stand the former film, another part is that I know both of these would just sit on the shelf. It will be years before I even seriously think about revisiting KotM, and while I enjoyed GvK, I don't have any interest in revisiting it, either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I bought both G'14 and KOTM as soon as they came out...and I never watched them. I haven't picked up GvsK and I probably never will. I pay for HBO Max and I can watch the movie whenever I want, if I wanted to. I don't really need the movie on physical media.

In fact, I'm really at the point where I'm about done buying most things on physical media. If and when Toho really digs into their entire Godzilla catalog and releases thr 4k transfers, I think I'm only buying the Showa films. I dont need to buy Toho disc releases of the Heisei and Millennium series for a third time.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The thing is, movies on streaming services aren't always guaranteed to stay on streaming services. I always try to get physical copies of the films I enjoy – especially when they're older films.

Besides, I like how my Godzilla/Toho shelf looks. :)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:43 pm"Battle for Earth" can take a long walk off a short plank.
Oh yeah, and hard agree on this. Not only is it an awful title, there's no reason to use it anymore, except in a historical context. Hopefully the next U.S. release defaults to "Godzilla vs Mothra," since there's no longer any other film using that title.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:02 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:43 pm"Battle for Earth" can take a long walk off a short plank.
Oh yeah, and hard agree on this. Not only is it an awful title, there's no reason to use it anymore, except in a historical context. Hopefully the next U.S. release defaults to "Godzilla vs Mothra," since there's no longer any other film using that title.
I'm very curious about what's going to happen to these films after Sony is completely done with them, because clearly they're prepared to let their rights to all of them lapse.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:30 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:02 pm
I'm very curious about what's going to happen to these films after Sony is completely done with them, because clearly they're prepared to let their rights to all of them lapse.
I wonder if Shout/Scream Factory might pick them up. I have no evidence to back my guess up, but the company seems to specialize in releasing old cult films.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Whoever it is will just do as Toho dictates with those regard to those titles.

G2K is one film I can see Sony holding onto, but should they let that lapse, too, I hope we'll eventually get to hear the export dub. I guess that counts as a confession and an unpopular opinion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:29 pm Whoever it is will just do as Toho dictates with those regard to those titles.
Which is why I don't understand why people keep requesting that Criterion do Heisei and Millennium sets. Taking the Showa set into account, what would they do that Sony hasn't already done.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:07 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:29 pm Whoever it is will just do as Toho dictates with those regard to those titles.
Which is why I don't understand why people keep requesting that Criterion do Heisei and Millennium sets. Taking the Showa set into account, what would they do that Sony hasn't already done.
Better subtitles but that's about all that could be realistically expected.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Knowing this fandom, they'll just be happy all these films are together in one package, no matter what the content is or looks like.

Regardless, we'll never see Godzilla 1985 legally available ever again.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:13 pm Knowing this fandom, they'll just be happy all these films are together in one package, no matter what the content is or looks like.
We could turn our noses up, refuse to buy it, and just pirate everything. Would that be helpful? Or would Toho just gladly take that as an excuse to cut the unprofitable Western fandom off completely?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Personally, I'd have a really hard to justifying buying a box set of these movies if they aren't a significant upgrade. The Showa films are one thing, there was something groundbreaking about the mere existence of that set. The later films? Meh. Criterion would have to be allowed to actually do something great with those to make a purchase worthwhile. And we know that won't happen.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

For my part, I don't have GvKG, GvM, or GvD in any format, and half the Heisei and Millennium films I do have are on DVD, so any Blu-ray set would be a significant upgrade.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

G2K is one film I can see Sony holding onto, but should they let that lapse, too, I hope we'll eventually get to hear the export dub. I guess that counts as a confession and an unpopular opinion.
Oh don't worry, if recent history is any indicator, if Sony lets G2K lapse, you'll definitely be hearing the export dub at the expense of the US cut.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Oh don't worry, if recent history is any indicator, if Sony lets G2K lapse, you'll definitely be hearing the export dub at the expense of the US cut.
That'd be a shame. The US cut of G2K is one of the very few that I really like.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:34 pmI bought both G'14 and KOTM as soon as they came out...and I never watched them.
I did the same thing with the Sony Blus of the Heisei films... what's even worse, despite having the disc sitting on my shelf unwatched, I went and saw a GvsKG screening despite knowing that the theater was running the Sony disc!
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I still haven't rewatched KotM since my first time seeing it in theaters. I know I probably should as I didn't really think much about it one way or the other. Those types of films usually work better for me on second viewings. Skull Island sure did.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:34 pm I bought both G'14 and KOTM as soon as they came out...and I never watched them. I haven't picked up GvsK and I probably never will. I pay for HBO Max and I can watch the movie whenever I want, if I wanted to. I don't really need the movie on physical media.

In fact, I'm really at the point where I'm about done buying most things on physical media. If and when Toho really digs into their entire Godzilla catalog and releases thr 4k transfers, I think I'm only buying the Showa films. I dont need to buy Toho disc releases of the Heisei and Millennium series for a third time.
I have the whole Monsterverse on 4K physical and digital. I'm still a sucker for physical kaiju media. Also having them on digital is nice. Vudu allows you to create lists so I have a Godzilla list with a bunch of the films so if I'm ever flipping through Vudu I have access to a bunch of the films.

If I ever upgrade a version of one of the films I generally sell the outdated format unless it has some kind of special features that are exclusive to the older format.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Singular Point's soundtrack dunks so hard on GVK's soundtrack, it's not even funny

RIP Evan.