Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Big Duel in the South Seas is so much fun, I'll hope in on the fun too. Has one of my favorite Takarada and Mizuno roles, oh and Hirata having an eyepatch again is awesome.

I love how the film focuses on Mothra's people, it's the last time we see Infant Island being related to Mothra with actual inhabitants.

Ebirah is a neat villain, and I love how Godzilla pretty much wakes up from whatever the hell gave him a hangover and goes on a pissy rampage.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think creatures like Ebirah and the giant condor are necessary. They help make the world feel more complete if you will.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Seeing so much love for Ebirah is unexpected for me, but certainly welcome. Sure, it may not be very grand or breathtaking, but I do consider Ebirah: Horror of the Deep to be a very entertaining film. I will even go as far as to say that it is among my favorites in the Showa Era, all things considered.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Girl I`m going on a date with on Sunday says her favorite Godzilla films are both Shin Godzilla and Final Wars. I suppose if you told some people that on this forum their heads would EXPLODE.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Girl I`m going on a date with on Sunday says her favorite Godzilla films are both Shin Godzilla and Final Wars. I suppose if you told some people that on this forum their heads would EXPLODE.
That's messed up.

Careful bro....I wouldn't trust a girl that likes those two movies. Take a wooden sword with you and let people know where your at, at all times.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

But...both of those are in my top 10. (Shin is way higher but still) Am I "Special"?
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:But...both of those are in my top 10. (Shin is way higher but still) Am I "Special"?
GFW and Shin represent completely different reasons for why people like the franchise done at the most extreme. GFW is an over the top dumb (but fun) action movie, while Shin is a social commentary. I actually sort of agree with you in I like GFW, but there’s plenty of people on this forum who really like one and don’t like the other. I’m curious to see if she’s seen KOTM, curious what her opinion is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:But...both of those are in my top 10. (Shin is way higher but still) Am I "Special"?
GFW and Shin represent completely different reasons for why people like the franchise done at the most extreme. GFW is an over the top dumb (but fun) action movie, while Shin is a social commentary. I actually sort of agree with you in I like GFW, but there’s plenty of people on this forum who really like one and don’t like the other. I’m curious to see if she’s seen KOTM, curious what her opinion is.
If she likes FW, she's sure to love KOTM. The Kaiju action in KOTM is some of the best I've seen.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster was my first G film so it's still my favorite movie I like the vhs dub better than the more recent dub
Last edited by Godzilla2000Zero on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Godzilla vs the Sea Monster was my first G film so it's still my favorite movie I like the vhs dub better than the more recent dub
Seeing the trend of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster going from being viewed on this site as one of the worst, to one of the sleeper hits on this site is always strange to me. I remember back in around 2010 where everyone thought this film was one of the worst, or maybe that’s just my perception. I think it’s one of the most fun at least, and despite Godzilla being too OP in the film, it’s a blast.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Godzilla vs the Sea Monster was my first G film so it's still my favorite movie I like the vhs dub better than the more recent dub
Seeing the trend of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster going from being viewed on this site as one of the worst, to one of the sleeper hits on this site is always strange to me. I remember back in around 2010 where everyone thought this film was one of the worst, or maybe that’s just my perception. I think it’s one of the most fun at least, and despite Godzilla being too OP in the film, it’s a blast.
Well, well. Maybe those who dislike KOTM will see it in a positive light too someday? Because I think this is a film that really delivers if you don't focus on the downsides and just give it a chance.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eh I really am curious what she has to say about KOTM, but I sort of don’t know. One big thing I’ve realized about the Japanese fandom is that for the most part, there isn’t one. Everyone likes or appreciates Godzilla, but it isn’t the type of thing you obsessesively visit Toho Kingdom over. Godzilla fans here probably see a few other films, but not much else.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of people here tend to have seen Shin, and love Shin, but know little to nothing about the series beyond that. Now, living here, it makes sense how Shin is now what Toho considered the image of the franchise.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Girl I`m going on a date with on Sunday says her favorite Godzilla films are both Shin Godzilla and Final Wars. I suppose if you told some people that on this forum their heads would EXPLODE.
There's a combination. Has she actually seen many of the other movies? Maybe these are the only two she has much familiarity with. :lol: That, or she just likes extremes...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Well, well. Maybe those who dislike KOTM will see it in a positive light too someday? Because I think this is a film that really delivers if you don't focus on the downsides and just give it a chance.
My personal hope is that GvK might make people appreciate KOTM more in many ways each Monsterverse film really enhanced the other for me at least anyway
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Seeing the trend of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster going from being viewed on this site as one of the worst, to one of the sleeper hits on this site is always strange to me. I remember back in around 2010 where everyone thought this film was one of the worst, or maybe that’s just my perception. I think it’s one of the most fun at least, and despite Godzilla being too OP in the film, it’s a blast.
My personal hope is that GvK might make people appreciate KOTM more in many ways each Monsterverse film really enhanced the other for me at least anyway
Yeah weirdly KOTM makes me look at G2014 less harshly. Someone on this forum said

G2014: Appetizer
K:SI: Main course
G:KOTM: Seconds
GvK: Dessert

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Well, well. Maybe those who dislike KOTM will see it in a positive light too someday? Because I think this is a film that really delivers if you don't focus on the downsides and just give it a chance.
Yeah weirdly KOTM makes me look at G2014 less harshly. Someone on this forum said

G2014: Appetizer
K:SI: Main course
G:KOTM: Seconds
GvK: Dessert
I hope I can get more full course meals then. Never eating any more like it after one meal would suck.

Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

Post by Hedorah, the King »

Kaiju Fan Confessions thread, let's do this.

I actually absolutely hate the monsterverse, I think they've produced easily among the worst Godzilla films ever seen, on par with the heisei series post 89. Godzilla 2014 stands out as one of the most boring Godzilla films ever made, the characters are some of the worst, even Bryan Cranston who everybody seemed to be obsessed with just because it was a well known actor. The plot it terrible as well, it's like they took the most boring kaiju movie plot ever and screw the cinematography, characters, and action to the point where you get a movie so bad it makes All Monsters Attack look like Citizen Kane.

KotM was better, but only barely. Again, the characters were atrocious, not as bland this time around but god awfully atrocious. Let's not forget the maximum cringe this entire movie had, I wanted to puke at the bowing monsters scene. Also this movie suffered pretty bad from issues most big-budget movies suffer from today. Firstly it felt the need to be funny as does every movie ever so they make a bunch of terrible nudge nudge wink wink jokes they hope millennials will laugh at. Number two the movie is so damn self-congradulatory. Godzilla Final Wars was an epic movie, it did epic things and was of epic proportions, this movie just says that it is. All they do in the movie is talk about how incredible and great and unstoppable Godzilla is like a 14 year old writing a bad fan fiction. The cringe of the whole "alpha" thing applies here as well, they just present a power tripping fantasy some isolated middle schooler would get off to. The Serizawa line "we would be his" is cringe overload.

So those are my monsterverse confessions, I don't really see anyone disagreeing with this, I just think I'm the first to point it out. So yeah, enjoy, might do more, this is fun
Hedorah, the King of the Monsters

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hedorah, the King wrote:Kaiju Fan Confessions thread, let's do this.

I actually absolutely hate the monsterverse, I think they've produced easily among the worst Godzilla films ever seen, on par with the heisei series post 89. Godzilla 2014 stands out as one of the most boring Godzilla films ever made, the characters are some of the worst, even Bryan Cranston who everybody seemed to be obsessed with just because it was a well known actor. The plot it terrible as well, it's like they took the most boring kaiju movie plot ever and screw the cinematography, characters, and action to the point where you get a movie so bad it makes All Monsters Attack look like Citizen Kane.

KotM was better, but only barely. Again, the characters were atrocious, not as bland this time around but god awfully atrocious. Let's not forget the maximum cringe this entire movie had, I wanted to puke at the bowing monsters scene. Also this movie suffered pretty bad from issues most big-budget movies suffer from today. Firstly it felt the need to be funny as does every movie ever so they make a bunch of terrible nudge nudge wink wink jokes they hope millennials will laugh at. Number two the movie is so damn self-congradulatory. Godzilla Final Wars was an epic movie, it did epic things and was of epic proportions, this movie just says that it is. All they do in the movie is talk about how incredible and great and unstoppable Godzilla is like a 14 year old writing a bad fan fiction. The cringe of the whole "alpha" thing applies here as well, they just present a power tripping fantasy some isolated middle schooler would get off to. The Serizawa line "we would be his" is cringe overload.

So those are my monsterverse confessions, I don't really see anyone disagreeing with this, I just think I'm the first to point it out. So yeah, enjoy, might do more, this is fun
Wow, every single word of what you just said, is wrong.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

Post by Hedorah, the King »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wow, every single word of what you just said, is wrong.
Welp, guess I can't argue with that. Now are you going to explain why you feel that way or are you just going to try to spite someone who thinks differently than you? You have no points to make, you're just mad about what I said so you're just saying "I'M ANGRY". It's about time someone taught you to change your ways.
Hedorah, the King of the Monsters

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hedorah, the King wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Wow, every single word of what you just said, is wrong.
Welp, guess I can't argue with that. Now are you going to explain why you feel that way or are you just going to try to spite someone who thinks differently than you? You have no points to make, you're just mad about what I said so you're just saying "I'M ANGRY". It's about time someone taught you to change your ways.
Lmao, I think most of us are just sick of constantly explaining the obvious.

Seems like you're just going thread to thread making vast radicalized opinions just to counter the norm and catch a reaction.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira