Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by goji89 »

Biollante gave us some of the most beautiful shots in any G movie. The suit looked perfect that went well with the score. The weight of Godzilla really showed.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Despite the fact that you cant select the images, I do like how the main site has a lot of pictures from each film. While certainly a lot are cut out, its better then nothing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Terasawa wrote:Biollante definitely has a style that you either love or don't like because you don't know what art is.
FTFY, ;)

I prefer vs King Ghidorah but Biollante is dope

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Biollante definitely has a style that you either love or don't like because you don't know what art is.
FTFY, ;)

I prefer vs King Ghidorah but Biollante is dope
How 'bout you prefer a big bowl of shut the fuck up. You take that back and say Godzilla V Biollante is better than Vs KG.

Say it noodles......SAY IT!!!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Huge skreeonking confession here:

I have not watched a single Gamera film in my entire life.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:Huge skreeonking confession here:

The Heisei series is worth watching, but the showa Gamera series is completely skippable. I’ve mentioned I’m not too in love with Gamera, and if I actually had to recommend something better, I suggest watching he first two Daimajin movies. The monster in both films really only appears towards the end, but the films are really solid.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GuardianGhido wrote:Huge skreeonking confession here:

Watch the 90's Trilogy, Gamera the Brave, and if you're interested in a taste of Showa, Gamera vs Barugon. Those are the good ones.

Everything else ranges from bad to... indescribably god awful abominations.

And to echo LSD Jellyfish, Daimajin is pretty good too.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Godzilla vs. Biollante was the last "good" Toho produced Godzilla film before Shin was a thing.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla vs. Biollante was the last "good" Toho produced Godzilla film before Shin was a thing.
Well that's definitely not true. I can think of at least three good films since GvB.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Godzilla vs. Biollante was the last "good" Toho produced Godzilla film before Shin was a thing.
Well that's definitely not true. I can think of at least three good films since GvB.
Well man, don't leave me hanging. What are they :lol:

I could probably count Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but I'm just not in the camp that finds GMK too impressive.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Well man, don't leave me hanging.
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla 2000, and GMK I think are the three best out of that time-frame. But that's just my personal opinion.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
Stump Feet wrote:
I could probably count Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but I'm just not in the camp that finds GMK too impressive.
GMK definitely seems to be one of the most divisive, way more "either you love it or hate it" than Biollante.

What is about GMK you don't like? I think it's brilliant. Amazing visual effects, great thematic storytelling, well-written and engaging characters, good score, it's got a lot of the elements I look for in a great Godzilla movie.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Well man, don't leave me hanging.
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla 2000, and GMK I think are the three best out of that time-frame. But that's just my personal opinion.
I edited my post but you seemed to quote it before but I can agree with you on Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but I've just never been too impressed with GMK, and I have a hard time giving G2K that pass because really it's only the American version that seemed to glow.

Added in 4 minutes 15 seconds:
I can agree that GMK has easily the best visuals from its era and a fantastic score, but the story just felt too hindered by outside forces (Toho)

If the director truly had free reign over his film, there's no doubt in my mind it would have been true magic.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Stump Feet wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Well man, don't leave me hanging. What are they :lol:

I'd count G2000, GMK, and GxMG myself (as much as I personally ADORE vs Destroyah, from a purely critical and unbiased perspective it's pretty average, and I will admit it has a lot of missed potential.)

I'm in the camp that doesn't think GvKG is very good, sadly. Which I suppose is a confession for this thread.

Though admitting I think GxMG is a legitimately good movie may be even MORE unpopular around these parts. :)
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla 2000 were both superior films to Godzilla vsBiollante.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla 2000 were both superior films to Godzilla vsBiollante.
Seconded (sorry, goji)

RIP Evan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I always had a soft spot for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. For all of the faults and mindnumbing moments it has, the convulated time-travel plot is so downright balls to the walls insane that I just can't help but be amused by it lol. And let's not forget the introduction of one of the best Heisei characters, Major Spielberg.
In all seriousness though, I really liked the whole Shindo/Godzilla dynamic going on. Felt like one of the most strongly written parts of the film, albeit not always executed properly.
And honestly, production quality wise it's much better looking than the Heisei films following it.

Godzilla 2000 is just great fun all around- decent characters, a straightforward but solid plot, great imagery and a pretty interesting foe for Godzilla to face. In many ways it feels like a pretty basic Godzilla movie, but it just works. Okawara's best Godzilla film imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Smuggers wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:I feel as If I fit in anymore with the general Godzilla fanbase

Not even here anymore

Not even when I left TK during 2017 (I was g2vd) did I feel this out of place
Any particular reasons why? Do you feel like a lot of the stuff said here doesn't resonate with you?
Discussion stagnation, many old members and some I considered friends Captain Akion, Mr. X and a ton of others leaving.

But the biggest two are just a real lack of fun on the boards and discussion isn't interesting anymore. No matter where I go people repeat the same beats about movies or monsters because they dont want to be "ostracised" or they've been so used to the same opinions they don't create their own

I miss the fun above all

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla 2000 were both superior films to Godzilla vsBiollante.
Hey, we all have crappy opinions once in while.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Seconded (sorry, goji)
You are Dead to me..... X_X .

Don't you ever call me again......you Beach.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ROMG4 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:I feel as If I fit in anymore with the general Godzilla fanbase

Not even here anymore

Not even when I left TK during 2017 (I was g2vd) did I feel this out of place
Any particular reasons why? Do you feel like a lot of the stuff said here doesn't resonate with you?
Discussion stagnation, many old members and some I considered friends Captain Akion, Mr. X and a ton of others leaving.

But the biggest two are just a real lack of fun on the boards and discussion isn't interesting anymore. No matter where I go people repeat the same beats about movies or monsters because they dont want to be "ostracised" or they've been so used to the same opinions they don't create their own

I miss the fun above all
I think KOTM, and all the fighting it caused, made the forum more interesting again. Same old days of people calling each other out and finding out new reasons why people dislike/like things. I found myself recently critically more evaluating the franchise then I did back in 2016 and boy is it exciting.

Even the Anime Trilogy is fun to talk about.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

goji89 wrote:
Hey, we all have crappy opinions once in while.
A touching confession on your part, you have my forgiveness. One day you'll see the light of G2000.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.