Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:If he were ever to have a major role in a film, I'd like to see Megalon updated with an attack/defense like the bombardier beetle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgqF-ND2XcY
That's a pretty neat idea, you know. A scaled-up version of that attack could be a devastating and a lot more effective than those napalm bombs he used to spit.

Speaking of Megalon and beetles, I prefer to think of Megalon as beetle monster as opposed to a cockroach monster. It makes more sense given his anatomy (i.e. the horn, wings, and plates), and I'm pretty sure that calling him a cockroach was made up by the American promotions. Plus, calling him a beetle monster gives the poor guy a little more dignity than a cockroach.
Oh, he is *absolutely* based on beetles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... ros_beetle

Most likely based on this particular guy, in fact. The horns are nearly identical.
Hooray for scientific correction! On that note, I'd really love to see a Megalon that looked more like on of these boys.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

-After years of thought on this, I now have no issue with the mutated iguana origin for Godzilla in the 98 film. My issue of course is with the design of said monster itself...

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Dracosaurian wrote:-After years of thought on this, I now have no issue with the mutated iguana origin for Godzilla in the 98 film. My issue of course is with the design of said monster itself...
Any particular reason why?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Smuggers wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:-After years of thought on this, I now have no issue with the mutated iguana origin for Godzilla in the 98 film. My issue of course is with the design of said monster itself...
Any particular reason why?
I think I'm to the point where he can have whatever origin they decide to give him, as long as he has the traditional Godzilla look I'm fine. The film in question of course didn't do that...

I think if the 98 film had done so, many wouldn't gripe about the mutated iguana origin. At least that's how I look at it.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Here’s a confession for everyone... I can’t stand Pacific Rim. The blue highlights, the skreeonking names, that godawful synchronized dance-walking, the whole tone of it all, it’s just... ugh, it’s so unbelievably cringeworthy. The best fight happens in the middle of the film, and outside of that, nothing interesting happens except the black market stuff.
Last edited by LockBite on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Why is this heretic not banned yet? Oh, well, while he's still here... what's wrong with the skreeonking names? And which skreeonking names are we talking about, anyway? Kaiju? Jaegers? Humans?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote:Here’s a confession for everyone... I can’t stand Pacific Rim. The blue highlights, the skreeonking names, that godawful synchronized dance-walking, the whole tone of it all, it’s just... ugh, it’s so unbelievably cringeworthy. The best fight happens in the middle of the film, and outside of that, nothing interesting happens except the black market stuff.
Agree on all counts, except I don't even remember the fight in the middle. All I remember of that movie's action is grey blobs moving in the rain.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

eabaker wrote:
LockBite wrote:Here’s a confession for everyone... I can’t stand Pacific Rim. The blue highlights, the skreeonking names, that godawful synchronized dance-walking, the whole tone of it all, it’s just... ugh, it’s so unbelievably cringeworthy. The best fight happens in the middle of the film, and outside of that, nothing interesting happens except the black market stuff.
Agree on all counts, except I don't even remember the fight in the middle. All I remember of that movie's action is grey blobs moving in the rain.
Let me illustrate how a difference in tone can make all the difference in memorability. Spoilers for Godzilla: KOTM although it’s apparent from the trailers:
Spoiler:
In Pacific Rim, a kaiju drags one of the Jaegers into the atmosphere. The Jaeger cuts it in half and they fall to the ocean. In Godzilla:KOTM, something similar will happen when Ghidorah drops Godzilla from the stratosphere, allowing him to fall miles to the Earth. Because the movie will be treating itself way more seriously, this sequence is going to be far more spectacular and memorable than the PR equivalent.
Ditto for any comparisons to something even as silly as Kong: Skull Island. When Gypsy Danger (ugh) picks up a cargo ship to use as a baseball bat, it’s like “Well of course.” But when Kong uses chains and a boat propeller as a mace, you think “Holy shit!”

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LockBite wrote:In Pacific Rim, a kaiju drags one of the Jaegers into the atmosphere. The Jaeger cuts it in half and they fall to the ocean.
As a small aside, they don't land in the ocean.

And that scene was awesome. You didn't even really explain why you thought it didn't work besides implying that it wasn't serious enough?
LockBite wrote:Gypsy Danger (ugh)
What's wrong with that name? It's cool.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Pacific Rim is fantastic and it's sincerity in regards to the inherently campy nature of the premise just makes it better. It's like Raimi's Spider-Man films.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Smuggers wrote:
LockBite wrote:In Pacific Rim, a kaiju drags one of the Jaegers into the atmosphere. The Jaeger cuts it in half and they fall to the ocean.
As a small aside, they don't land in the ocean.

And that scene was awesome. You didn't even really explain why you thought it didn't work besides implying that it wasn't serious enough?
LockBite wrote:Gypsy Danger (ugh)
What's wrong with that name? It's cool.
When movies don’t take themselves seriously, their stakes have a low ceiling, and spectacular things become entirely mundane.

As for any comparison to the Raimi Spider-Man films, I think that’s a false equivalency. Unlike Pacific Rim’s protagonists, Peter Parker’s edgy hair and dance-walking was treated as entirely uncool. Pacific Rim has blue highlights, ridiculous names that governments would never give to their weapons, and horrible unironic dance-walking.
Last edited by LockBite on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

But Pacific Rim does take itself seriously...? Did we watch the same movie?

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

UltramanGoji wrote:But Pacific Rim does take itself seriously...? Did we watch the same movie?
That’s part of the problem. It’s full of people who don’t behave like adult professional humans, and it’s acting like there’s nothing wrong with that. It takes itself seriously in the wrong places, even while mostly being a live-action cartoon that isn’t very serious. It’s a tonal failure on every level.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I found aspects of Pacific Rim embraced the camp, while other (most notably the lead performances by Hunnam, Elba and Kikuchi) felt agonizingly po-faced.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’d like to join the “PacRim was a bad movie” mailing list.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I don't think that this is really that uncommon but I believe I've seen all the Showa Gamera films in some form or other (ok fine mostly MST3K) and man I just can't stand them. I hate to rag on movies aimed at children but I think there is a difference between well made children's movies and "kiddie" films and the Showa Gamera fills into that second category perfectly.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the original "Gammera" was the best film of the whole Gamera franchise, with G3 being the second best.

Then again it's likely because the og film was my first introduction to Gamera which put him on par with Gojira when it came to old school black and white serious Kaiju flicks.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I liked PacRim, the Knifehead fight was insane, the EMP alien wal-mart discount Kong fight with Cherno Alpha was really cool. Newt and the other guy gave me C-3P0/R2-D2 vibes which I enjoyed. Charlie Hunnam was a dope protagonist, Idris Elba is of course the main man as always. The blue highlights add to the overall depth of the style of film they went with.

However PacRim:2 was a COMPLETE DISASTER, utter failure, I have no clue how they could've let that out to theaters. It was a Disney XD film with giant generic monsters involved and a bunch of generic robots fighting in fast paced action until the monster (kaiju in name only) decided to up and combine Power Ranger style.

Rest in Peace Mako for no reason.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

cloverfan98 wrote:I don't think that this is really that uncommon but I believe I've seen all the Showa Gamera films in some form or other (ok fine mostly MST3K) and man I just can't stand them. I hate to rag on movies aimed at children but I think there is a difference between well made children's movies and "kiddie" films and the Showa Gamera fills into that second category perfectly.
There is no shame in that. The whole "it's a kids movie" is a bit of lame excuse IMO. Kids deserve good entertainment just as much as adults. A truly great kids movie can reach and connect with audiences of all ages while still being aimed at a younger demographic.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:However PacRim:2 was a COMPLETE DISASTER, utter failure
Seriously. I loved the first one, it's still somehow the thread I have the most posts in despite not touching it for like five years. When Uprising came out I didn't even bother posting about it but now that the dust has most certainly settled I can most confidently say: This movie sucked dick. Even just remembering it came out is like treading shit onto your carpet. It's a tour de force in making absolute garbage.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:However PacRim:2 was a COMPLETE DISASTER, utter failure
Seriously. I loved the first one, it's still somehow the thread I have the most posts in despite not touching it for like five years. When Uprising came out I didn't even bother posting about it but now that the dust has most certainly settled I can most confidently say: This movie sucked dick. Even just remembering it came out is like treading poop onto your carpet. It's a tour de force in making absolute garbage.
Completely agree :lol: , Loved the first one, it had the potential to be the first *new* big monster franchise in a long time, especially in America. I think the last new monster franchise hit we had was Cloverfield if I'm not mistaken, and even that turned into an alien paradox franchise 3 films later.. I have no clue what they were thinking when they made Uprising, other than $$$.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira