Favorite MonsterVerse/Reiwa era Godzilla design

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

You have three (3) options...

GareGoji (2014)
19%
ShinGoji (2016)
23%
AniGoji (2017-2018)
3%
DougheGoji (2019-2021)
41%
GyuraGoji (SP 2021)
14%

Total votes: 64

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Favorite MonsterVerse/Reiwa era Godzilla design

Post by ShinGojira14 »

1. ShinGoji.

A perfectly horrifying re-imagining of the 1954 design that masterfully evokes equal parts dread and tragedy in the character, with aspects added onto it that make the Monster King look and feel—despite being an exaggerated monstrous abomination—like a real animal. The glowing red nuclear sores, the rugged and bumpy keloid-scarred skin, the jaws full of jagged, uneven mako shark-teeth, the beady snake-like eyes, the cancerous blood vessel-exposed dorsal plates glowing with nuclear power, the exposed musculature on the back, all of these design choices help result in the most disturbing representation of Godzilla as an animal twisted into deformity by the horrors of nuclear radiation. And I really dig the gigantic tail.

And I love his previous forms just as much; both of them have equal parts the same level of disturbing dread as well as a unique mix of shark and dinosaur-like feel—the latter of which is present especially in the third form—that fits this Godzilla’s evolving nature.

Unpopular opinion: Shinagawa-Kun is one of the best Godzilla designs. A perfect intermediate blend of classic Godzilla and a Tyrannosaurus Rex, with a touch of shark and snake thrown into the mix.

2. GyuraGoji

Also one of my favorite Godzilla designs to date. A big love letter to the GyakushuGoji, especially in the face and tusk-like fangs—and I especially dig their sideways curve. Almost gives him a viper/Smilodon vibe. Love the thick, stocky body rippling with armored pads resembling a samurai’s armor, and the blood vessels in the stone-white dorsal plates paint a beautiful contrast. Like with Shin, I also love this Godzilla’s long tail; it feels like a long spiny whip, and it somewhat reminds me of the tail of a Diplodocid sauropod. Above all of that, I especially dig the yokai/Oni references in this design’s face, especially those eyes.

And like with Shin, I dig the hell out of his previous forms. I’m tied between Amphibia and Terrestris as my favorite of the three; so far Terrestris holds out. Dinosaur/kangaroo/snake/Oni-Godzilla is a very unique combo and a big win in my book.

3. GareGoji

The design responsible for the very creation of the aforementioned designs above and signaled Godzilla’s glorious return to the movie screens. I don’t hate the 2019-2021 look, but I definitely wish that Dougherty didn’t touch Gareth’s design; to me, G14 is by far the superior look for the grizzled old bastard that is Legendary’s Godzilla. The gray, armored skin and the jagged glass-shaped dorsal plates evoke an archaic, brutal and combat-filled backstory for this Godzilla in a manner very fitting for this revamped version of the character, something that I feel the KOTM design lacks. He just looks far more primal, rugged, ancient and aggressive than the later designs used, and I wish they didn’t trade that for making him look even more ‘classic.’

Also, his tail feels a lot larger and a lot more formidable in this design than it does in the later MonsterVerse entires. I felt my stomach turn when he smacked the male MUTO with that monstrous warhammer of a tail.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Going with the 2019-2021 Legendary Godzilla. Feels like a perfected version of the design we saw in the 2014 film. Shin is second for me and the least favorite for me is the Anime trilogy Godzilla. That one I think is too much of a rip from the Legendary Godzilla but uglier.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:42 am DougheGoji wrecking the competition, maybe I should've included the Ride version to see how it fared...

Our big beefy bois -
A new foe has appeared

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:52 am
tbeasley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:42 am DougheGoji wrecking the competition, maybe I should've included the Ride version to see how it fared...

Our big beefy bois -
A new foe has appeared
It’s like Heisei Goji, but better in literally every single possible way.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:55 am

Our big beefy bois -
A new foe has appeared
It’s like Heisei Goji, but better in literally every single possible way.
Ride Godzilla makes me wanna travel back in time to 2016 to plead with Toho never to make any more Godzilla content.

Gross exaggeration aside, I find it hideous.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Our big beefy bois -
A new foe has appeared
Ride Godzilla is a nice design. Hope they use it for something.