Battle of Jets N’ Jaguars

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which Jetty Jag reigns supreme?

Showa
50%
Singular Point/Reiwa
50%

Total votes: 32

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Battle of Jets N’ Jaguars

Post by Jermobooka »

With the recent announcement of Singular Point JJ’s Sh. Monsterarts figure, I’ve been wondering which design/incarnation of this bucket of bolts TK prefers.

Poll time!

(I have no idea which forum to post this to so I’ll just stick it in General.)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Battle of Jets N’ Jaguars

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

As said on Reddit, I prefer Showa’s design and SP’s portrayal.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

...wait, the fuck? Showa is losing. This is Toho Kingdom, dreaded bastion of the Elitist Showa Snobs! Get your acts together, people!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I love SP JJ!
Before SP I thought the best thing about Jet Jaguar was his theme song.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa for life!
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I love both, but I personally prefer Showa over SP.

But let's be honest, we all know who the REAL best incarnation of Jet Jaguar is... ... ...
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:58 pm I love both, but I personally prefer Showa over SP.

But let's be honest, we all know who the REAL best incarnation of Jet Jaguar is... ... ...
Don't fuck with the Jaguar.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The SP version is only ahead because it's fresh and new. So it's no shock.

The Showa version, with all its goofy charm, is iconic. It's simple, its stupid, but it's awesome.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Reiwa has an actual personality/character, Showa is indistinguishable from every other Ultra knockoff except for the fact that he was in a Godzilla movie.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm Reiwa has an actual personality/character, Showa is indistinguishable from every other Ultra knockoff except for the fact that he was in a Godzilla movie.
Though to be fair, unlike all other Ultraman rip-offs that more or less faded into obscurity, Jet Jaguar was so iconic that he appeared in future pieces of outside Godzilla media--and then came back in Singular Point.

Also, does anyone still remember that fake teaser trailer for a Jet Jaguar vs Godzilla film? :JetJaguar: :g2k:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:19 pm Also, does anyone still remember that fake teaser trailer for a Jet Jaguar vs Godzilla film? :JetJaguar: :g2k:
da wot

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:22 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:19 pm Also, does anyone still remember that fake teaser trailer for a Jet Jaguar vs Godzilla film? :JetJaguar: :g2k:
da wot
I'll take that as either a no, or there was something peculiar about that teaser that many found unlikable, and is best left in the past.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm Reiwa has an actual personality/character, Showa is indistinguishable from every other Ultra knockoff except for the fact that he was in a Godzilla movie.
Yet, he's become an incredibly popular cult character anyway. Just in the past year alone Bandai and Playmated have done multiple versions of the Showa incarnation, and the movie's popularity through MST3K ensured there's an entire generation of people who are familiar with the robot who "eats sushi from a pail".

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wow. This is a lot more even and close than I thought it would be.

Sp JJ ftw! :)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Holy moly, neck and neck? I figured the superior JJPP didn't stand a chance before all the d*mn dirty Showa elitists!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:53 pm all the d*mn dirty Showa elitists!
I'll have you know I took a shower.

Seriously, I vote for Showa. SP does have an interesting design, but the aesthetic and portrayal of the Showa JJ work better for me.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

The fact that SP Jet Jaguar is losing this is more proof than anything that Toho Kingdom should be renamed Showa Kingdom.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:39 pm this is more proof than anything that Toho Kingdom should be renamed Showa Kingdom.
As it should. Showa Unity! Showa rules them all, and the conquered must bend the knee!
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 pm I love SP JJ!
Before SP I thought the best thing about Jet Jaguar was his theme song.
Pretty much this. I unironically love Jet Jaguar in Megalon, but he is hard to take him seriously. Singular Point really made him visually interesting, capable as a mech, and an interesting character.

Added in 4 minutes 57 seconds:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:22 pm
da wot
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/XeuHi3FN840[/YouTube]
This one. It is from one of Toho's official channels, it was done as an April Fool's joke, with the possible reason to see how fan reaction went.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:55 am Pretty much this. I unironically love Jet Jaguar in Megalon, but he is hard to take him seriously.
That's why most of his fans love him! He's ridiculous, and that's great. Not every kaiju/mecha needs to be taken seriously to be entertaining. That's something the post-Showa eras sadly tend to forget.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio