Is Godzilla too Strong?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Is Godzilla too Strong?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I heard this complaint about superman rarely of times, what does provide something interesting.
Is Godzilla too strong? I think one incarnation is, but most of them aren’t IMO. They all have their strength and weaknesses, like Heisei Godzilla is one incarnation you don’t wanna mess with but he has a second brain in his abdomen and when destroyed will cripple him, or Monsterverse Godzilla is downright the most powerful Kaiju in the Monsterverse but he has gills for weak spots and he’s an animal when he gets tired he gets severely weakened. All these incarnation has some sort of weakness to make them somewhat possible For the protagonist or antagonist to beat him, which makes the story interesting because if there wasn’t any weaknesses the story will get boring fast. Like Godzilla Earth, He is just way too powerful with too little weaknesses to make him Interesting, if there something that is basically immortal then why fight it anyways. But that’s my take what’s your thoughts on this criticism?

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Is Godzilla too Strong?

Post by Voyager »

No not really.
For Emperor and Empire!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

The only time I’ve considered that to be the case was with Godzilla earth. The thing people enjoy about powerful characters is that yes they’re strong, but there’s still peril and a threat that they may lose. I never got that with ani Goji.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I was going to say FinaGoji but even he met some stiff resistance from Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah.
I think Godzilla's power is important to his character, and rarely is he "too" powerful.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'd prefer a Godzilla who is neither too overpowered, nor a klutz who takes shit so easily (looking at you KiryuGoji).

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

No.

And that's how it's supposed to be.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla is a force of nature. Superman is not.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Superman can kill Godzilla....

Just Saiyan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can't comment on Godzilla Earth, since I haven't seen it, but the other incarnations are not. FW Godzilla comes the closest to being overpowered, but that Godzilla did find a tough enemy in Monster X/KG. Every era has shown Godzilla losing a fight or two, so I'd say Godzilla is not too strong.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:00 pm Godzilla is a force of nature. Superman is not.
goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:21 pm Superman can kill Godzilla....

Just Saiyan.
Superman beats them all.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think Godzilla could take DCEU Superman, his neck is too wide for Clark to snap. :shrug:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I mean, what qualifies a character as “too strong”? I’d argue that people who go “Superman is boring because he’s too strong” kinda don’t know what they’re talking about. Is he still a character who’s interactions with humans strike the chords readers/viewers are looking for when they tune in to a Superman story? And does he still struggle to resolve whatever the story’s conflict is? Then he’s not “too strong”.

And neither is Godzilla.

A character is only “too strong” when they’re not fucking challenged and the conflict of the story is solved with no issue by them. You could write a story with a main character who can destroy a multiverse with the twitch of his finger, and as long as the villain could destroy two multiverses with the twitch of his finger, the main character’s not too strong.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 am I think Godzilla could take DCEU Superman, his neck is too wide for Clark to snap. :shrug:
Oh snap!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 am

A character is only “too strong” when they’re not skreeonking challenged and the conflict of the story is solved with no issue by them. You could write a story with a main character who can destroy a multiverse with the twitch of his finger, and as long as the villain could destroy two multiverses with the twitch of his finger, the main character’s not too strong.
Godzilla, though powerful and strong, has faced such challenges. Showa Godzilla couldn't defeat Ghidorah, Hedorah, or MG without help or some unexpected move. Heisei Godzilla would've been killed if not for Fire Rodan.
Millennium Godzilla lost to Kiryu twice, and was nearly killed by Kaiser Ghidorah. MV Godzilla had to get a power up to kill KG, and then needed Kong's help with MG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:00 pm Godzilla is a force of nature. Superman is not.
goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:21 pm Superman can kill Godzilla....

Just Saiyan.
Superman beats them all.
DCEU Superman is getting destroyed by MV Godzilla. Remember a nuke almost killed DCEU Superman. Marvel Godzilla stalemating Thor also gives him a chance against comic Superman though he would likely lose.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 am Superman beats them all.
DCEU Superman is getting destroyed by MV Godzilla. Remember a nuke almost killed DCEU Superman. Marvel Godzilla stalemating Thor also gives him a chance against comic Superman though he would likely lose.
I was quoting a Godzilla movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 am

A character is only “too strong” when they’re not skreeonking challenged and the conflict of the story is solved with no issue by them. You could write a story with a main character who can destroy a multiverse with the twitch of his finger, and as long as the villain could destroy two multiverses with the twitch of his finger, the main character’s not too strong.

And here's another question to ask: what constitutes a challenge or the character earning the victory?

Sure the extreme easy is winning in a single punch at the start of a battle but what about afterwards? Is it challenging enough if the protagonist beats the antagonist after a long battle? Is it enough that the protagonist wins through being creative and trying different tactics? If the antagonist pins the protagonist and is about to deal the killing blow but then the protagonist uses quick creative thinking to get of the bind, is that challenging enough? Or does Antagonist have to be so overpowering that the protagonist has absolutely no chance of winning alone even after being trained?

I have seen some people claim that if the protagonist and antagonist have the same equal speed, skills, strength, durability, ect... but the Protagonist wins because he/she/whatever has slightly more intelligent or creative, it's still considered too easy for the protagonist.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Maybe not too strong, but I am getting tired of him being an expressionless, laser-spitting mountain of bulk.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

In general, I don't think Godzilla is too strong for the stories he is in.

The exception to that I believe is the anime mediums, both the anime trilogy and Singular Point, which feel like they go out of their way to make Godzilla overly powerful for the sake of it.
If it bites... don't mess with it!