Which is the Best Director for a Godzilla movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Poll ended at Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:08 am

Todd Phillips
No votes
Guillermo del Toro
100%

Total votes: 19

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I want to know everybody thought on two Directors on Who will be the best at a Godzilla film

Disclaimer: This topic just for fun, don’t harass the directors in these Forums

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Which is the Best Director for a Godzilla movie

Post by Gigantis »

On one hand, I'm probably one ofthe few people put there who thinks Tarantino's work falla into the category of overrated. I really cannot see what most see in his movies, and i wouldn't really even call him fit to make a G-Movie.

On the other hand though, as much as i like Todd Phillips and his films, his style is also.. not really one i would call fit for a kaiju film. He works best with humans, so I don't know how he would handle the monsters.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Del Taro is a big kaiju fan, so he's obviously the best choice. But I wouldn't say "no" to a Godzilla movie directed by Todd Phillips as long as he does a really good job on it.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Del Toro by a long shot.

Granted, Joker is still a pretty good movie, so I still think Godzilla as helmed by Todd Phillips could be good, if a bit derivative.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I really like Del Toro as a man and a director but I don't feel he's quite right for a Godzilla film. Ultraman or something similar could work out great but not Godzilla. His pacifist leanings, while respectable, aren't quite fit for a Godzilla film. His unwillingness to show destruction and use military action would hold the film back. He'd be great for an Ultraman film though.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:25 pm I really like Del Toro as a man and a director but I don't feel he's quite right for a Godzilla film. Ultraman or something similar could work out great but not Godzilla. His pacifist leanings, while respectable, aren't quite fit for a Godzilla film. His unwillingness to show destruction and use military action would hold the film back. He'd be great for an Ultraman film though.
Huh?

Ishiro Honda was really anti-war. I don't think Del Toro is that much different by comparison, particularly when you consider how much gore and blood he stuffs into his R-rated features.

The reason he avoided militarizing the PPDC in Pacific Rim is because they were explicitly the heroes, and the protagonists were all members f that organization. A Godzilla film has a lot more lee-way – its protagonists can be completely divorced from the military, and military and government systems alike can be heavily scrutinized. And I'm sure that's the approach Del Toro would take.

If anything, a Godzilla film directed by a pacifist is arguably the best way to go, when you consider the series' roots.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon May 31, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaneko has stated plenty of time's he's a pacifist and his films regarded as one of the best of the whole series!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

KK42 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:05 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:25 pm I really like Del Toro as a man and a director but I don't feel he's quite right for a Godzilla film. Ultraman or something similar could work out great but not Godzilla. His pacifist leanings, while respectable, aren't quite fit for a Godzilla film. His unwillingness to show destruction and use military action would hold the film back. He'd be great for an Ultraman film though.
Huh?

Ishiro Honda was really anti-war. I don't think Del Toro is that much different by comparison, particularly when you consider how much gore and blood he stuffs into his R-rated features.

The reason he avoided militarizing the PPDC in Pacific Rim is because they were explicitly the heroes, and the protagonists were all members f that organization. A Godzilla film has a lot more lee-way – its protagonists can be completely divorced from the military, and military and government systems alike can be heavily scrutinized. And I'm sure that's the approach Del Toro would take.

If anything, a Godzilla film directed by a pacifist is arguably the best way to go, when you consider the series' roots.
That made me 'Huh?' too, so well said.

I'd like to see it but I don't think we can ever expect del Toro, or any high profile established filmmaker for that matter, making a Godzilla film anytime soon. Studios reserve their big franchises films for up and comers now rather than reaching out to established pros. Just look at Marvel, or even the MonsterVerse - Gareth Edwards (Monsters), Jordan Vogt-Roberts (Kings of Summer), Michael Dougherty (Trick r Treat, Krampus).

Adam Wingard had lots of work behind him (You're Next, The Guest, Blair Witch, Death Note, etc.) but those were mostly small to medium sized.

So when people offer up names like Spielberg, Jackson, Bay, Cameron, Nolan, Snyder, Tarantino, etc. I can't help but go, 'Not a chance.'

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

tbeasley wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:57 pm
KK42 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:05 pm
Huh?

That made me 'Huh?' too, so well said.

I'd like to see it but I don't think we can ever expect del Toro, or any high profile established filmmaker for that matter, making a Godzilla film anytime soon. Studios reserve their big franchises films for up and comers now rather than reaching out to established pros. Just look at Marvel, or even the MonsterVerse - Gareth Edwards (Monsters), Jordan Vogt-Roberts (Kings of Summer), Michael Dougherty (Trick r Treat, Krampus).

Adam Wingard had lots of work behind him (You're Next, The Guest, Blair Witch, Death Note, etc.) but those were mostly small to medium sized.

So when people offer up names like Spielberg, Jackson, Bay, Cameron, Nolan, Snyder, Tarantino, etc. I can't help but go, 'Not a chance.'
And there is a specific reason why they prefer to go with lesser names than people with an impressive resume already behind them: they are easier for the studio executives to mess with and dictate what they want and alter the movie as they see fit. No sane studio is going to try and mess with movies made by Speilberg or Cameron or Nolan. They've established enough clout to them that they can basically do what they want and ignore the studio higherups. Snyder is a different story, but mostly due to how cataclysmically bad BvS was, and personal family troubles that forced him off of JL.

Contrast with relative greenhorns like Dougherty and Wingard. People less likely to be able to push back when the executives come pushing in. People more likely to become yes men puppets to the higher ups. Look at how PRU was little more than the movie Universal wanted to make, because they got a spineless yes man of a director in there to do as they wanted. It's also no secret at this point GvK got BUTCHERED in the editing room, as a lot of character development for important characters was left on the cutting room board, rendering our antagonists as hollow husks of characters. Studios want fresh blood in the director seat because they are easy to control and easy to ditch once things go south...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why would Todd Phillips be a good Godzilla director?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:54 pm Why would Todd Phillips be a good Godzilla director?
I think he can make a good job with Godzilla because of Joker,I think he can do a great remake of the 1954 movie

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:54 pm Why would Todd Phillips be a good Godzilla director?
I think he can make a good job with Godzilla because of Joker,I think he can do a great remake of the 1954 movie
Is he a fan of Godzilla?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:49 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 am
Is he a fan of Godzilla?
I don’t think so but he doesn’t need to be, all he has to do is to respect the source material like Kazuki Omori, the Director of Godzilla vs Biollante, he wasn’t a Godzilla fan but he did a great job respecting the source material
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ok next up is

James Gun (Director of Guardian of the Galaxy)
Or
James Cameron ( Director of Aliens, Terminator 2, Avatar The one with the giant blue people in it, and *look closely at screen* Titanic?)

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:17 am Ok next up is

Or
James Cameron ( Director of Aliens, Terminator 2, Avatar The one with the giant blue people in it, and *look closely at screen* Titanic?)
I'd go with James Gunn. There's something about Cameron's films I find distractingly pretentious, visual effects aside. I love both Guardians of the Galaxys, while I've only seen Titanic so far (its fine, BTW).

Meanwhile, another of these would be:

Ryan Cogler (Creed, Black Panther)
Gennedy Tartovsky (Samurai Jack, Primal, Hotel Transylvania)
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:17 am Ok next up is

Or
I like James Cameron, but I feel his movies have slowly lost their touch over the years. Titanic can't compare to Aliens; Terminator 2: Judgement Day can't compare to The Terminator, and Avatar can't compare to any of those four. Not to mention the fact that be hardly makes movies anymore. Why would he make a Godzilla movie? And more importantly, what would he have to offer the franchise?

On the other hand... I don't like James Gun very much. His filmography mostly consists of crude comedies, with a crude horror-comedy film thrown into the mix to spice things up a little. Even the fan-favorite Guardians of the Galaxy had a story and characters that were very by-the-numbers and derivative, and its sense of humor was, again, crude. (Prison rape jokes? Really, Disney?) His style is not at all a fit for Godzilla. He seems like the kind of guy who'd make a Godzilla movie just to mock the property.

Given the choice between the two of them, James Cameron, without hesitance; even if he wouldn't ordinarily be my pick.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Moving on, and again:

Ryan Cogler (Creed, Black Panther)?
Gennedy Tartovsky (Samurai Jack, Primal, Hotel Transylvania)?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I still think we already had great Hollywood directors tackle Godzilla: Emmerich, Edwards, and Wingard. I would love to see Michael Bay direct a Godzilla film, it would be fun to see all the havoc.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Next up is

Guillermo del Toro
Or
Steven Spielberg

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:11 pm Next up is

Guillermo del Toro
Or
Steven Spielberg
Boy those are difficult choices, since I love both and are some the best directors of the last fifty years, and both do have respect for tyhe kaiju genre. Of course, I side with del Toro because he's made some very good films in this decade, while I can barely remember anything Spielberg's made since the early 2000's. This depends on outside contexts though.