The King Kong That Appeared in Edo on TV?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

The King Kong That Appeared in Edo on TV?

Post by szmigiel »

So I am doing my normal search for Kaiju and Monster films on broadcast TV and all of a sudden on Memorial day I see a listing that is just impossible "The King Kong That Appeared in Edo" at 12:30PM to 2PM
The station is just a little LD station that has a Drivein movie channel that they play public domain movies, and some that aren't public domain, but "public domain copies" are floating around. I have seen Gigantus the Fire Monster, Monster Zero, and King Kong Vs Godizilla get played on the channel. As well as X from Outer Space, Monster from a prehistoric planet, and Gorgo. All very grainy not so hot prints of the films, but watchable.
I am curious to see what plays on Memorial Day. and I hope I have reception at the time, I often lose the signal from atmospheric issue since it is Lo-VHF and low power.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The King Kong That Appeared in Edo on TV?

Post by Gigantis »

I don't know if it's actually gonna be the real deal, but record it anyways. This might be lost history coming back from the grave here!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's a legitimately lost film. I don't know what app or website you're using but it's a mistake. I guarantee none of us will ever see this film, least of all on an independent TV station.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Terasawa wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:45 am It's a legitimately lost film. I don't know what app or website you're using but it's a mistake. I guarantee none of us will ever see this film, least of all on an independent TV station.
TitanTV Listing https://www.titantv.com
I agree it can't be the film, but so odd for the title to even show up.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

A tv station from the Berenstein universe, perhaps.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

King Kong Escapes, most likely, and they just mixed up the titles. But God, it would be bizarre if this was somehow accurate...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

It would be disappointing but somewhat funny if the listing was done by somebody to mess with Kaiju fans, but I mean stranger things have happened. Plenty of lost media has shown up in the most bizarre and unexpected of places though how an independent station would not only have a copy and not tell anyone, presumably restore the print and research it, sub it and than play it on TV is odd

Extremely odd

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

What's next, Svengoolie plays South Korean Bulgasari?
Seriously though, what a bizzare mistake for the station to make. Edo Kong was blown to shit in WWII. Ain't no way the world will ever see it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ROMG4 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:20 am how an independent station would not only have a copy and not tell anyone, presumably restore the print and research it, sub it and than play it on TV is odd

Extremely odd
Wouldn't be the first time that could've happened with kaiju media.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Maybe someone at the station is a huge kaiju fan and put it in as a inside joke only a few people would even get. Or they saw something about the lost film in Godzilla Vs Kong material and decided to put the name in. Still so odd that it would even get put on a TV schedule. In the past they did run a documentary on the making of Godzilla franchise in between Gigantis the fire monster and Gorgo.
Hopefully the station is coming in on Memorial day at 12:30
I was going to check on locast, https://www.locast.org/cities/505 but it is missing there, probably due to the somewhat shaddy copyright issues.
Last edited by szmigiel on Sat May 22, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Yeah, someone needs to record it

This could actually be history in the making :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If history is made, it won't be because this movie is broadcast. That's literally a 0% chance. This is just a strange error in the schedule.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

WHNE Detroit is sticking with their listings

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

szmigiel wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:19 am WHNE Detroit is sticking with their listings
Either they somehow really did get this film (which doesn't seem possible but crazier things have happened in this world) or this is a super weird case of mistaken one of the other Kong films for this one.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:25 am If history is made, it won't be because this movie is broadcast. That's literally a 0% chance. This is just a strange error in the schedule.
Don't squash my dreams of Detroit hosting the kaiju discovery of the decade with your completely true statements, T. Whoop whoop!!!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

szmigiel wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:19 am WHNE Detroit is sticking with their listings
If I ran a social media account for a TV station (especially one like this), and if someone messaged my page asking "Are you really showing X movie on Y day," I would look at the schedule, confirm X film is indeed scheduled for Y day, and report that information.

In other words, the person you contacted probably has zero idea that the scheduled movie is lost or that the schedule may in fact be wrong. You'd be better off asking, "Are you certain that the film scheduled is really ____? It's a lost movie, and..." (explain why this is such an anomaly).

And sorry, guys, this movie is not turning up on a low power station in Detroit, lol. Legitimately lost movies like this one don't just turn up on some channel that plays Bowflex and Life Alert ads during every commercial break.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat May 22, 2021 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Man, can't have shit in Detroit.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

A film believed lost since the 1940s suddenly turning up on a local Detroit station sounds like the setup to a shitty horror flick.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:54 pm A film believed lost since the 1940s suddenly turning up on a local Detroit station sounds like the setup to a shitty horror flick.
I was gonna say it reminded me of a creepypasta from the mid 2000's. Seriously reminds me of Candle Cove. :lol:

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Too bad you can't add a poll after the post was created. But what are the bets on what will actually be shown at the listed time?

A King Kong film of some type (King Kong, Son of Kong, KKvG, King Kong Escapes, 70's King Kong, King Kong Lives)
A not quite King Kong Film (Mighty Joe Young, Mighty Peking Man, A*P*E*, Konga, Half Human)
A film featuring someone in a gorilla suit somewhere
A film featuring any primate of any size
A film featuring no primates, no gorillas, just people.