What is Mothra?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: What is Mothra?

Post by JAGzilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:00 am
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 am
ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 am Long story short. Mothra is quite literally a god and doesn't get enough respect. Didn't she actually defeat Godzilla in a film?
Depending on your definition, she's defeated Godzilla every time they've fought. Or at least been on the winning side.
Godzilla annihilated her in GMK tho.
Her physical form, maybe. Her spirit went on to power up Ghidorah, who in turn stunned Godzilla long enough for Tachibana to drive the sub down his throat and kill him from the inside. So in a roundabout way, Mothra definitely won that fight.

Added in 2 hours 19 minutes 54 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm It would make for an interesting show for the small screen. It might be hard to integrate Mothra into a show like that, but I'm sure there's a way.
Maybe the Shobijin are in Tokyo to investigate some impending threat (undercover aliens, or something), and once they solve the mystery they call in Mothra to do the heavy lifting. Alternatively, and possibly more fitting for a comedy-centric show, they're trying to serve as diplomats for Mothra and salvage her public reputation after she makes a mess of Tokyo while fighting off some threat. Or something along those lines.

And if nothing else, Fairy would be able to have a constant presence in the show.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Mothera is a giant moth.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ I changed my mind, Mothra 1961 is a crap movie now. :evil:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I think she’s a model/puppet, I’m not sure though, I’d have to be fact-checked by an expert :eh:
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Voyager wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:18 am I think she’s a model/puppet, I’m not sure though, I’d have to be fact-checked by an expert :eh:
If you want to be literal. I know the imago form is a marionette.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Mothra is bae.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 am Image
Always the weirdest part of Mothra for me is that weird ambiguous allusion to possibly another design or creature, or even a meta reference to Godzilla.

Also, I'm considering trying to track down a copy of "Mothra and the Luminous Fairies". I've always sort of doubted it's existence.
Edit, found a copy, but for 7000 yen (about 70 USD). Maybe some other time, but it's cool knowing it's out there. I don't think anyone has done a deep dive on it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:18 am I think she’s a model/puppet, I’m not sure though, I’d have to be fact-checked by an expert :eh:
If you want to be literal.
That was the joke -_-
For Emperor and Empire!