Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just like the Fan Art thread but for official designs.

To start things off, here's a best: Gabara from Singular Point!
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Best And Worse Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 am Just like the Fan Art thread but for official designs.

Wow. Fucking love him. So damn cool. Speaking of Singular Point and being damn cool...

Godzilla Ultima is currently my 4th favorite Goji design. It’s new, unique, and badass! Everything an anime Godzilla should be cough GODZILLA EARTH cough cough

I’m starting to see people warming up to it and actually like it. Can’t wait for the Ultima SHMA to sell out in under 10 seconds!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

For me personally,the best is the 2019-21 Image Legendary have treated this Godzilla as respectful as possible in not just in design but the personality, abilities, durability are a great addition to this incarnation.
The worst is 1998 or G.I.N.O no surprise
It’s like that Sony or Roland Emmerich said how can we make this Godzilla not “Godzilla” the design is awful as Godzilla design, his abilities... WHAT ABILITIES ?!?! he can dig underground and that it, really?!?! You can’t even include his atomic breath because you wanted to be “realistic” , how can it get worse his durability he dies from missiles... I done here
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm For me personally,the best is the 2019-21 Image Legendary have delivered a fantastic design
The worst is 1998, no surprise
Read my mind. Odd how America has simultaneously produced the best Godzilla/Kaiju redesigns and the worst :lol:

Added in 44 seconds:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 am Just like the Fan Art thread but for official designs.

Spoiler:
Also, technically that isn’t Gabara. It’s official name is ”Salunga”
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

In terms of the American redesigns, more often that not I feel they’re towards the middle or on the lower end of the spectrum. The only one I’d consider to be fantastic is Mothra. Godzilla and Rodan are meh, GINO is horrible and Ghidorah is very bland and boring.

Is this thread just for recent redesigns? If not, I’d say MosuGoji and BioGoji are the best kaiju redesigns of all time.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm For me personally,the best is the 2019-21 Image Legendary have delivered a fantastic design
The worst is 1998, no surprise
Read my mind. Odd how America has simultaneously produced the best Godzilla/Kaiju redesigns and the worst :lol:
I kinda find it funny G.I.N.O is a good monster design as his own but not as Godzilla
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm Is this thread just for recent redesigns?
I'd say strive away from Showa era because aside from Godzilla, their kaiju never really changed.

Added in 8 minutes 30 seconds:
Spoiler:
Jermobooka wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm Also, technically that isn’t Gabara. It’s official name is ”Salunga”
I'm aware. I just called him that for people who don't wanna be spoiled.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spoiler:
Added in 44 seconds:

Wait wat?
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm
Spoiler:
Added in 44 seconds:

Wait wat?
Spoiler:
OH. Sorry for the slight spoiler, heh. Thought everyone knew by now

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:49 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm
Spoiler:
Added in 44 seconds:

Wait wat?
Spoiler:
OH. Sorry for the slight spoiler, heh. Thought everyone knew by now
Spoiler:
It ok dude I forgive you, people make mistakes all the time
Added in 39 minutes 9 seconds:
Image KiryuGoji design is cool for me because he was kind of slim but buff at the same time in a good way, his spines are different but not crazy and I like that he’s the bad guy again but that sort of it, his story is nothing really special, it’s like oh we killed the one in 54 but there’s another one that came
Image GMKGoij is probably my favorite out of the Millennium era, this Godzilla design is something special his eyes are pure white, he has fangs, what can I say he looks like a badass while destroying buildings, and his story strange but unique all the Japan soldiers spirits from World War II came to resurrect Godzilla and take the revenge on Tokyo And also if it wasn’t for this cause the design we wouldn’t have these amazing pictures Image Image Poor kid

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm not sure if this is official but Yasushi Torisawa made some really good redesigns for his art.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Man, I hate 19/21.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

IMO Legendary King Ghidorah design is the best redesign of King Ghidorah
the reason why is because not only the design looks great, but also his different personality for each head is a fantastic addition to Ghidorah

The worst is the anime trilogy... Go figure
Oh anime trilogy, you were just a waste of so much potential, there’s so many reasons Why does redesign doesn’t work, first it’s just three heads granted the heads looks cool but the body it’s never to be seen other than a shadow in a hallucination, Second he doesn’t have any personality, it just goes in without reacting to anything and attacks Godzilla then when Godzilla get the upper hand he retreats and that’s it, The third and worst reason is potential, you could’ve done so much more with this and you decided to give us 3 noodle necks, but there’s one thing I like, the Lovecraft element I really do like and he’s like a god from a different dimension I’d like too, But it’s not enough to like this, like seriously who came up with the noodle necks? And you already have the full body and surprisingly it looks decent,
Why didn’t you use it?!??! All right enough for the rant that I sped out, if you really want to see this redesign with the full body at it full potential, have a look at this mmd animation
https://youtu.be/28qe6bT8gCo

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:52 pm Man, I hate 19/21.
Any particular reason?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Yeah, don’t really like 1921 either. Pretty bad year all things considered

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm
Hey at least in 1921 The stock market didn’t crash unlike in 1929

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm
Straight up comedian! You should get your own Netflix special like everyone else who sucks at comedy.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Okay, it's about time I put bad redesigns in. In my opinion, the Heisei designs of Rodan and Mechagodzilla are horrible. Like, one looks like a deformed seagull and the other is literally just a dinosaur but chrome.
Resized Image
There's no redeeming qualities about either of them and the fact that they were picked over concept artwork that's near-perfect makes things way, way worse. In fact, I'd say these two abominations are the worst thing about the entire Heisei/VS series.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Final Wars Redesign of Hedorah, King Caesar and Anguirus.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:41 pm Okay, it's about time I put bad redesigns in. In my opinion, the Heisei designs of Rodan and Mechagodzilla are horrible. Like, one looks like a deformed seagull and the other is literally just a dinosaur but chrome.
There's no redeeming qualities about either of them and the fact that they were picked over concept artwork that's near-perfect makes things way, way worse. In fact, I'd say these two abominations are the worst thing about the entire Heisei/VS series.
I do agree with you on mechagodzilla, in the movie he looks so stiffed and can’t move arm and legs, his fights are just beam attacks, isn’t as bad as Mechagodzilla City but I digress