Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Best And Worse Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by tbeasley »

^ That's not the design from the 2015 short.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Yeah, 2015 Gamera is really good. I love how they modernized the Showa Gamera design.

Added in 49 seconds:
tbeasley wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:48 pm ^ That's not the design from the 2015 short.
Almost didn't catch that. Some big differences are the scalp and tusks.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

tbeasley wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:48 pm ^ That's not the design from the 2015 short.
My Bad, sorry. I fix it

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Mechagodzilla Design 101:

This is how you redesign Mechagodzilla:

amazing
Incredible

Now, this is how you don’t redesign Mechagodzilla:

ew

what the actual fuck
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am Image
what the actual skreeonk
Mecha-Notzilla.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am
what the actual skreeonk
Mecha-Molezilla

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 am Image

I always hated Heisei Godzilla's derpy face.

And the anime version...I only wish we actually got to see it in action. The design is off but if I saw its features in use I may have warmed up to it. But now instead, big city that's all you get.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I'll admit, I've always enjoyed Heisei Mechagodzilla's design. He's just a blocky boi.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I don't really get why Heisei MG and Super MG are so hated nowadays, while he's less expressive than the other MechaGodzillas he is a totally valid design. He's this big futuristic tank of a mecha built with the sole purpose of defeating Godzilla as quickly as possible, he's jam packed with all kinds of weaponry like Showa MG. Additionally the idea of a transformation/upgrade and flying ship was later incorporated into Kiryu's shoulder weaponry and control jets, Heisei MechaGodzilla plays a very important role in the series and later versions of MechaGodzilla

I get not liking the design, but hating it I've never quite got. Also he has one of the best themes and you can't deny it

Glorious Ifukube soundtrack
Spoiler:

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's been a minute since I've seen him in action, so maybe something in the movie will change my mind once I watch it again, but I have never understood what the hell you people are talking about when you bash Heisei Mechagodzilla. He's a cold, lifeless killing machine. I can appreciate the more expressive qualities of the other incarnations all day, but I don't see them as strictly necessary for what is ultimately a big tank. His design fulfils its purpose just fine. Like, I'm looking at those 'ew' pictures and trying to figure out what the problem is supposed to be.

And on a related note, Heisei King Ghidorah/MKG and MOGUERA are two of Kawakita's best achievements, exceeded only by Biogoji and Biollante. Everything else (minus Mechagodzilla) was a big step down.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun May 16, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:05 am And on a related note, Heisei King Ghidorah/MKG and MOGUERA are two of Kawakita's best achievements, exceeded only by Biogoji and Biollante. Everything else (minus Mechagodzilla) was a big step down.
We've shared our love of MOGUERA before, but damn, you're gonna make me shed tears.

Though I will disagree and say the 94/95 suits are easily the most expressive Heisei Goji suits and bring a ton of life to the character.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:05 am It's been a minute since I've seen him in action, so maybe something in the movie will change my mind once I watch it again, but I have never understood what the hell you people are talking about when you bash Heisei Mechagodzilla. He's a cold, lifeless killing machine. I can appreciate the more expressive qualities of the other incarnations all day, but I don't see them as strictly necessary for what is ultimately a big tank. His design fulfils its purpose just fine. Like, I'm looking at those 'ew' pictures and trying to figure out what the problem is supposed to be.

And on a related note, Heisei King Ghidorah/MKG and MOGUERA are two of Kawakita's best achievements, exceeded only by Biogoji and Biollante. Everything else (minus Mechagodzilla) was a big step down.
I'm talking purely design here. He could be the best Mechagodzilla Togo gas ever made but the point his his design sucks.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Heisei Mechagodzilla is literally a giant tin can that only somewhat resembles the Godzilla he's meant to be based on. All the concept art he had before the design was finalized looked way better.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^
Yes.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Gonna go against the grain and say I really like the Anime MechaGodzilla's design. It does look a busy, but it also looks alien. As others have said, I just wish we could have saw it in action. That fan animation was the closest we'll ever get and it makes it all the more frustrating that the studio was unwilling or unable to deliver.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Breakdown wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am Gonna go against the grain and say I really like the Anime MechaGodzilla's design. It does look a busy, but it also looks alien. As others have said, I just wish we could have saw it in action. That fan animation was the closest we'll ever get and it makes it all the more frustrating that the studio was unwilling or unable to deliver.
The director didn't want it. In fact, every attempt by the writing team to have Mechagodzilla have any kind of presence at all in "Mechagodzilla" City beyond the city simply being made from the nanometal was shot down by him.

Creative control can be as dangerous as it can be a boon.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Heisei and Anime Mechagodzilla both look great, so does MV. Way better than RPO Mechagodzilla’s generic ass.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:40 am Way better than RPO Mechagodzilla’s generic ass.
I'd rather take a generic but still cool looking mecha over a weird looking shiny plastic dino and an ugly looking mechanical beetle monster.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MV Rodan is the best redesign of the kaiju pterasaur. The head looks fantastic, and it has a great profile when seen in the air.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.