What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era And Why?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era?

Showa
70%
Heisei
15%
Millenium
No votes
Monsterverse
15%
Reiwa
No votes

Total votes: 20

Voyager
Keizer

Favorite Era

Post by Voyager »

Mine, if you couldn't tell by my profile or all of my posts, is the Showa Era. I love the suits, I think it's the peak of miniatures, I love Honda, I love Tsubarya, and I love Nakajima.

I love how the monsters have distinct personalities, I love the seriousness of the early Showa era and I love the campiness of the later films. I love every single one of these movies, even the stinkers like GRA, Revenge and KKE. I love it all!
For Emperor and Empire!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Favorite Era

Post by Chrispy_G »

I wish I could split my vote between Monsterverse and Reiwa(specifically Shin)...but considering I really don't like the Anime Trilogy(admittedly, I have only viewed them as a complete set of 3 films ONCE)....Monsterverse wins easily.

The Monsterverse, to me, is the ultimate version of these characters....if I'm measuring the era of films with the most positive elements and the least negative elements, it HAS to be the Monsterverse.

If it came down to which era I most want to marathon on any given Sunday....Monsterverse wins.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Showa, Heisei a distant second.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

1) Showa
*a long, long gap*
2) Millennium
3) Heisei
4) MonsterVerse
5) Reiwa
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Showa, Heisei a distant second.
Ditto, with the caveat that it is still far too early to know how I'll feel about Reiwa.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Showa, Heisei a distant second.
Ditto, with the caveat that it is still far too early to know how I'll feel about Reiwa.
Yeah. So far it’s made up of four movies that probably won’t be anything like what’s to come. There’s no point in having the “Reiwa era,” such as it is, in this poll.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You're asking me to pick my favorite kid.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Showa era. It has the best action sequences (human and kaiju) and the widest variety of subgenres. You want a silly Godzilla film? You can pick the silliest one ever. You want the darkest Godzilla film? Ditto on Showa. You want a high-octane spy thriller with a robotic Godzilla? Uh-huh! You wanna see that robot in a sci-fi tragedy? Next film over! You want male leads with hairlines to make you jealous? Pick any Showa film!

Showa era rules.
Last edited by LockBite on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

1) Showa. Just can't beat the sheer variety and richness of that era.
2) Monsterverse.
3) Millenium.
4) Heisei.

Not really a fan of "Reiwa" so far, especially since we have zero clue of what it's actually going to look like in the long term...I absolutely loved Shin, but very meh on the anime trilogy.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Showa
Monsterverse
Heisei </> Millenium
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

My favorite era overall is the golden age of the 60's; "Mothra Vs Godzilla" through "Destroy All Monster". That stretch is the most consistent quality of writing, directing, acting, and effects. But over all each era has a few films I enjoy, and some I dislike. I am probably hardest on the Heisei series because it started with so much promise, but then got weaker and more formulaic as it went on.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Definitely Showa. Those are some of the most charming films ever.

I have so many memories. Watching Son of Godzilla with my dad. Seeing previews for Mothra vs. Godzilla in the ads on VHS tapes for other Godzilla movies and FINALLY getting Mothra vs. Godzilla as a present. Rewinding the fight scene in Destroy all Monsters and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

I really appreciate that they don't have weird editing like the Millennium era. I don't know what the fuck was going on in the Baragon scene in GMK or the Godzilla vs. Zill scene.

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
LockBite wrote:Showa era. It has the best action sequences (human and kaiju) and the widest variety of subgenres. You want a silly Godzilla film? You can pick the silliest one ever. You want the darkest Godzilla film? Ditto on Showa. You want a high-octane spy thriller with a robotic Godzilla? Uh-huh! You wanna see that robot in a sci-fi tragedy? Next film over! You want male leads with hairlines to make you jealous? Pick any Showa film!

Showa era rules.
You really gotta love the variety that the Showa era has. The other eras have very little in comparison. The Heisei movies are nearly identical in tone, with the exception of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah which does have a pretty cool Showa-esque time travel story.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Showa series is the best for me.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

szmigiel wrote:My favorite era overall is the golden age of the 60's; "Mothra Vs Godzilla" through "Destroy All Monster". That stretch is the most consistent quality of writing, directing, acting, and effects. But over all each era has a few films I enjoy, and some I dislike. I am probably hardest on the Heisei series because it started with so much promise, but then got weaker and more formulaic as it went on.
I feel this way too. So much of what Godzilla is is derived from those golden era films, even more so than the original (important in its own way, of course), and I wish more people would realize that's okay.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era And Why?

Post by Jermobooka »

I’ve always been interested in what TK fancies and why. From what i’ve seen on YouTube, Reddit, and other discussions, the common consensus is that the Heisei era is the best and the usual favorite of the fandom, but we’re a bunch of Godzilla hipsters, so that obviously won’t be the case here

My favorite era (so far) would have to be the Monsterverse. Am i biased because the MV is a dream come true for me? Yes. But i also like pretty much everything about it. All the other era’s tie and are extremely close seconds. I love all of them and can’t really find a lot of things i dislike about each of them either
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Re: What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era And Why?

Post by Voyager »

Showa, easily. It has so many good films with a variety of tones and genres. It's very artistic, and the kaiju action is the best, bar none. The characters in this era blow all others from the water, and the stories and plots never cease to engage me.

Edit: I hate being called a hipster, I'm 17 :cry:
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Showa for sure.

One thing i really LOVE about the Showa era is that they have extremely long takes of the monsters. The Millennium era has VERY choppy editing - just go and rewatch the Baragon fight in GMK. Or some of the fights in Final Wars.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

My fav Era is the MonsterVerse. I think it has the most versions of Kaiju I would call definitive versions of them for me and I have yet to see a film I disliked overall. I also enjoy the way they introduce least one new Kaiju each film to keep the faces fresh as well as just an interesting world built around these creatures.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I like the Showa era because of the large amount of movies from that era and how different they are from each other in terms of story, tone and action.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Showa, because the movies generally had stronger scripts and better direction than other eras.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.