Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:29 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm I think I got mine in 98. I wonder if its the same version. I want to say mine was released by Tristar? The only heisei films that were difficult for me to track down were vs Destoroyah and vs Mothra. I think I got them when Hollywood Video closed down. Hedorah was really hard for me to find.
You guys should have the same tape because the only official VHS release of Godzilla vs Biollante in America was from HBO Video in 1992. Later "print runs" omitted the incongruous trailer for The Opposite Sex and used a different HBO logo, but the covers and movie itself are the same.

TriStar released Godzilla vs King Ghidorah through vs Destoroyah.
Now that I think about it, you're absolutely correct. That's crazy, I wonder if I just got lucky stumbling upon it. I dont remember it being particularly hard to find at all. Think I got it at a video store while vacationing in Boston. Also picked up SOG there if I recall.

goji89
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm I think I got mine in 98. I wonder if its the same version. I want to say mine was released by Tristar? The only heisei films that were difficult for me to track down were vs Destoroyah and vs Mothra. I think I got them when Hollywood Video closed down. Hedorah was really hard for me to find.
You guys should have the same tape because the only official VHS release of Godzilla vs Biollante in America was from HBO Video in 1992. Later "print runs" omitted the incongruous trailer for The Opposite Sex and used a different HBO logo, but the covers and movie itself are the same.

Now that I think about it, you're absolutely correct. That's crazy, I wonder if I just got lucky stumbling upon it. I dont remember it being particularly hard to find at all. Think I got it at a video store while vacationing in Boston. Also picked up SOG there if I recall.
Mine has that "The Opposite Sex" trailer lol. Like I said I bought mine from a VHS movie rental store. I love it to death. The most I've ever paid for a movie but well worth it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:11 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:10 pm You want to exclude Shodai just because it wins?
Yes

If we didn’t Shodai would just keep winning every poll :lol:
Nah man, if we're going to be the best then we must beat the best. Excluding it will feel like a handicap and I don't want a win like that. We've come close to beating it in this Showa elitist hell hole that speaks volumes.
...Y’know what? You’re right. We gotta prove that literally every other design is better than Shodai, but Bio in particular is!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:35 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Mine has that "The Opposite Sex" trailer lol. Like I said I bought mine from a VHS movie rental store. I love it to death. The most I've ever paid for a movie but well worth it.
I can't remember if mine does nor not, usually I watch a copy of the blu ray now. But yeah one of these days I'm going to get a new VHS player and fire up some of these older tapes. I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure those little imperfections will be quite nostalgic.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm Now that I think about it, you're absolutely correct. That's crazy, I wonder if I just got lucky stumbling upon it. I dont remember it being particularly hard to find at all. Think I got it at a video store while vacationing in Boston. Also picked up SOG there if I recall.
I first ran across it in 1996 or 1997 and saw it pretty frequently where I lived for the next six or so years, even as VHS was being phased out for DVD in most of the big video retailers. I know others had a harder time coming across it but that wasn't my experience at all.

It also wasn't uncommon in the '90s for a title to be sold to Blockbuster and the other chains primarily as a rental. You could still buy these, but it would cost you a small fortune, as in goji's story. Later on, the distributor would unleash them as a "sell-through" at a much cheaper price. I'm pretty sure Biollante was one of those rental-first releases, at least in part of the country.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat May 08, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Hell I'd be happy to reach 15 for G89

I'll consider it a win.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:45 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm Now that I think about it, you're absolutely correct. That's crazy, I wonder if I just got lucky stumbling upon it. I dont remember it being particularly hard to find at all. Think I got it at a video store while vacationing in Boston. Also picked up SOG there if I recall.
I first ran across it in 1996 or 1997 and saw it pretty frequently where I lived for the next six or so years, even as VHS was being phased out for DVD in most of the big video retailers. I know others had a harder time coming across it but that wasn't my experience at all.

It also wasn't uncommon in the '90s for a title to be sold to Blockbuster and the other chains primarily as a rental. You could still buy these, but it would cost you a small fortune, as in goji's story. Later on, the distributor would unleash them as a "sell-through" at a much cheaper price. I'm pretty sure Biollante was one of those rental-first releases, at least in part of the country.
Very interesting! Now that you mention it, I don't think i ever stumbled upon any of the Heisei Gamera films for sale on VHS, only rental. That would seemingly explain it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 pm Very interesting! Now that you mention it, I don't think i ever stumbled upon any of the Heisei Gamera films for sale on VHS, only rental. That would seemingly explain it.
Well that's because the only one issued on VHS was GOTU. And actually, that was another rental-first title. ADV didn't release G2 or G3 until 2003, both only on DVD.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 pm Very interesting! Now that you mention it, I don't think i ever stumbled upon any of the Heisei Gamera films for sale on VHS, only rental. That would seemingly explain it.
Well that's because the only one issued on VHS was GOTU. And actually, that was another rental-first title. ADV didn't release G2 or G3 until 2003, both only on DVD.
Dude you are a wealth of knowledge. That would PERFECTLY explain why it took me so long to find G2 and G3. For a long time the only way I could watch GOTU was renting it from Hollywood video. God I was young at that time lol.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 pm
Dude you are a wealth of knowledge. That would PERFECTLY explain why it took me so long to find G2 and G3. For a long time the only way I could watch GOTU was renting it from Hollywood video. God I was young at that time lol.
Hey, take this lovefest to the pm's.

Can't you see your at a funeral.
My boi G89 is dead
Last edited by goji89 on Sat May 08, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Finally updated the main page with the current bracket, current final results, and current era point totals.

Added in 37 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:53 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Hey, take this lovefest to the pm's.

Can't you see your at a funeral.
My boi G89 is dead
I really thought we would take this :/ I guess all hope is not lost at this point, but its looking pretty grim.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Down 6 votes

We can still make a miraculous comeback from this.

We need 6 saviours......

Come on people

Who is gonna save us and become the heroes TK needs?

Added in 41 seconds:
Let us shock the world come on

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm Down 6 votes

We can still make a miraculous comeback from this.

We need 6 saviours......

Come on people

Who is gonna save us and become the heroes TK needs?

Added in 41 seconds:
Let us shock the world come on
That comeback would be fucking legendary. It would be a staple of TK history for the rest of this forums entire existence
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Funny enough 2019/21 Goji was down a lot to Shodai Goji, then made a comeback to tie it, only for Shodai to get more votes to pull ahead slightly for the win.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:07 pm I'm at a loss for what to name the trophy. I think ill rename after Kawakita or Murase. Or perhaps Nishikawa?
Maybe, Watanabe after Akira Watanabe, the only known person to have helped make the design for the original Godzilla.
Godzilla was designed by a lot of people - Kazuyoshi Abe did early designs and later storyboards, Teizo Toshimitsu and Akira Watanabe came up with the T. rex/Stegosaur/Iguanodon combo, Kanji and Koei Yagi with Eizo Kaimai built the suits, all done under the under the supervision of Tsuburaya, Tanaka and Honda.

I would simply call these the 'Goji Awards' or 'Gojis.'

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 pm Kanji and Koei Yagi with Eizo Kaimai built the suits
I'd say the suit builders don't make the design, just bring it to life. The other stuff is my bad, though.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

tbeasley wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:07 pm I'm at a loss for what to name the trophy. I think ill rename after Kawakita or Murase. Or perhaps Nishikawa?
Maybe, Watanabe after Akira Watanabe, the only known person to have helped make the design for the original Godzilla.
Godzilla was designed by a lot of people - Kazuyoshi Abe did early designs and later storyboards, Teizo Toshimitsu and Akira Watanabe came up with the T. rex/Stegosaur/Iguanodon combo, Kanji and Koei Yagi with Eizo Kaimai built the suits, all done under the under the supervision of Tsuburaya, Tanaka and Honda.

I would simply call these the 'Goji Awards' or 'Gojis.'
I kind of like Gojis

Added in 21 minutes 57 seconds:
Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll Ends Tomorrow 1 PM EST]
Don't make me give this trophy out tomorrow guys, only 5 votes behind lets gooooo!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:46 pm Don't make me give this trophy out tomorrow guys, only 5 votes behind lets gooooo!

Make that 6 :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll Ends Tomorrow 1 PM EST]

Post by Spuro »

Ooh, nice trophy.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

C'mon, Shodai. Don't let me down