Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 pm https://becominggodzilla.com/official-t ... goji-1954/

https://becominggodzilla.com/official-t ... goji-1989/

Huh. Probably would've been good to do this during some of the other rounds too.
That's actually a really cool site, didn't know it existed.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Match][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 pm https://becominggodzilla.com/official-t ... goji-1954/

https://becominggodzilla.com/official-t ... goji-1989/

For anyone interested in actually comparing the two designs. Who knows, seeing some of the stills here may make you like Bio even more!

Huh. Probably would've been good to do this during some of the other rounds too.
I wish they would see it but I don't see anyone changing their minds.

Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
8 votes down .......

Can we at least make it to ten lol

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
Oh Thank God we did it

YAAAAAAAY

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I have arrived from my slumber...

BioGoji for life.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 pm I have arrived from my slumber...

BioGoji for life.
It’s no use, Voyager. The Shodai bootlickers and Showa elitists (all of TK) have come out in full force. It looks to be we’re not winning this one :cry:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

We're on page 89 people

This is our chance to pull up at fast, this is a sign come on lets go

Added in 2 minutes 33 seconds:
Come on at least 11

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 am I think another issue is the 54 suit was always in close to pitch black lighting, mix that with the BnW and while it adds an incredible atmosphere for the film, it also severely limits the suits detailing, but again it works for the film (so they kinda counter eachother). His suit was typically shown in the money shots, but for the less "iconic" scenes they used the weaker puppet.

In proper lighting the suit doesn't stack up to many of the others suits in my opinion (as most of you know)

https://i.imgur.com/XZXcNZu.jpg
How can a brightly-lit production photo represent "proper lighting" when you yourself acknowledge that the photography in the film was very dark? We have to assume that the way the costume appears in the film is how it was intended to be seen (not that the creators' intent really matters in a tournament about "the design you like the best"), therefore, the film lighting is the "proper lighting."

And "severely limits the suits detailing" - again, the first post literally reads "Just vote for the design you like the best," not "vote for the suit with the best detailing."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I want to know who these people are voting for Elmo. I was sleeping through the opening of the grand final, so I must know who our enemies are.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm I want to know who these people are voting for Elmo. I was sleeping through the opening of the grand final, so I must know who our enemies are.
It's TK bro...... this is NOT surprising at the least.

We knew going into this We would loose.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well... I mean at the end of the day, having Shodai win is better than having a red MV takeover. To use my previous comparison of the Cold War, having Shodai win is like having the British be the superpower. It’s saddening to see the Heisei not winning, but it’s not the end of the world as we know it.

We return to the status quo of Showa/Shodai worship.
I mean, at least worship MosuGoji
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:25 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 am I think another issue is the 54 suit was always in close to pitch black lighting, mix that with the BnW and while it adds an incredible atmosphere for the film, it also severely limits the suits detailing, but again it works for the film (so they kinda counter eachother). His suit was typically shown in the money shots, but for the less "iconic" scenes they used the weaker puppet.

In proper lighting the suit doesn't stack up to many of the others suits in my opinion (as most of you know)

https://i.imgur.com/XZXcNZu.jpg
How can a brightly-lit production photo represent "proper lighting" when you yourself acknowledge that the photography in the film was very dark? We have to assume that the way the costume appears in the film is how it was intended to be seen (not that the creators' intent really matters in a tournament about "the design you like the best"), therefore, the film lighting is the "proper lighting."

And "severely limits the suits detailing" - again, the first post literally reads "Just vote for the design you like the best," not "vote for the suit with the best detailing."
Well as far as "proper lighting" goes, I just meant lighting closer to something you'd see in a brightly lit museum exhibit, vs a purposefully tonally dark atmospheric lighting. I think the issue is that I'm looking too far into the poll designs, when as you said, its a tournament based on which design you personally like the best.

I figured we'd all break the poll down into the nitty gritty little details, like texture comparisons, ears vs no ears etc.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm I want to know who these people are voting for Elmo. I was sleeping through the opening of the grand final, so I must know who our enemies are.
It is I. You must defeat me in order to pass.
Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 pmhaving Shodai win is like having the British be the superpower.
Then it is time for the empire to rise once again.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:41 pm
It is I. You must defeat me in order to pass.

Huh? Who said that? Oh!

Sorry bud, I didn’t see you down there. Now, a little gremlin like you must get out of the way, because I’m on my high-horse and I’m very righteous, so I don’t want you to get hurt.
For Emperor and Empire!

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Quarter Finals] [Current Match: '99-00 vs. '89]

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

And lo, it was foretold in the ancient texts that this would happen...
NSZ wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:52 pm

Shodai winning the whole thing would be the most College Hipster Bullshit thing to ever happen on these forums.

Which means that's exactly what's going to happen.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

TK: Fuck it, we peaked in film one, every other design is a mistake.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 pm I have arrived from my slumber...

BioGoji for life.
It’s no use, Voyager. The Shodai bootlickers and Showa elitists (all of TK) have come out in full force. It looks to be we’re not winning this one :cry:

Don't be a show off on hating, Shodai the love instead

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Finals][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am If the 54 wins, it probably deserved to. .
That's the problem, it's too predictable. All this poll work just for the most predictable outcome.

Legacy wise sure, but it's objectively the least consistent of almost any other suit.
I’d argue that Bio winning is the most predictable outcome. I’m actually surprised at how this is turning out.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 pm TK: Fuck it, we peaked in film one, every other design is a mistake.
No one is saying this.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

tbeasley wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:12 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 pm TK: Fuck it, we peaked in film one, every other design is a mistake.
No one is saying this
You’re right. Every three is saying this :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am If the 54 wins, it probably deserved to. .
That's the problem, it's too predictable. All this poll work just for the most predictable outcome.

Legacy wise sure, but it's objectively the least consistent of almost any other suit.
I’d argue that Bio winning is the most predictable outcome. I’m actually surprised at how this is turning out.
G89 was severely limited in release here in the states when I was little, which was like, 2005-ish. So I don't really have that connection to it, as I do to say Desu or Spacegoji (which came in a sick dvd 2 pack).

I'd assume the younger fans have had similar experiences. Thus making them less aware of that suit in particular.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:14 pm
KK42 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 pm I’d argue that Bio winning is the most predictable outcome. I’m actually surprised at how this is turning out.
G89 was severely limited in release here in the states when I was little, which was like, 2005-ish. So I don't really have that connection to it, as I do to say Desu or Spacegoji (which came in a sick dvd 2 pack).

I'd assume the younger fans have had similar experiences. Thus making them less aware of that suit in particular.
You could still buy the Godzilla vs Biollante VHS brand new into the early 2000s - I bought a second copy in-store at Sam Goody in 2002. But yeah, I understand that point. However, I don't think it means much when you can also say that the same generation grew up on the internet where, even if you couldn't find the movie in some form, you still had access to countless pictures and videos of BioGoji, not to mention all the toys and artwork and video games, etc. Not being able to see the movie doesn't necessarily equal lack of awareness.

And still, on top of that, nostalgia doesn't necessarily have to be a contributing factor here, either. Historically speaking, the BioGoji has been a favorite Godzilla design, even when it was brand new.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.