Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Four][1954 vs. 2019-2020]

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 pm I will say Shodi Goji winning will be a funny bit of irony. In a poll event meant to showcase suits of all eras, the community in TK basically goes "skreeonk it, we peaked in film 1 everything else was a wash"

And yes if Goji 54 wins I'd count it as a Millennium win if anything lol

Godzilla x Megaguirus is technically Godzilla 54 if he lived.
I didin't expect him to make it to the finals because, first of all he is the number one seed, so thats a target on his back. Second, there seemed to be a backlash against him. Third, I felt like being the original he would have an additional target on his back.

I'm not going to lie, I tried to structure seeding in a way that I thought reflected the consensus (I think I was largely vindicated on that) but I also tried to give each era (Showa, Heisei, Millenium, and Reiwa) a reasonable path to the Final Four. I really thought Millenium would get one in but thought it would be MireGoji closer, not Kiryu.

Added in 43 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 pm

Bull, because it's '54 Goji. He encompasses ALL eras. So then every era wins. Thank God it's SUIT design not which era it was in.

Goji89 and '54 in the finals.
I've been keeping track of Era results too, they're on the front page. Though not complete. Overall that's secondary to the main tournament though.
Honestly given TK's meme rep of "Showa bias" only thing I am not shocked by is two Showa suits in the semi-finals, which if 64(A) was not matched against Shodai Goji we might've gotten it so if anything I expected the possibility of Shodai Goji winning it all.
I think if Showa bias were real, at least one Showa suit would have upset a higher seeded suit. Here, that did happen once. But it was against another Showa suit. I'm not sure which Showa suit that lost would have beaten a corresponding winning suit of a different era. Millenium was the biggest winner and almost knocked out one of Showa's big boys (1968) in the first round!

But yeah, I feel you. I always thought Desu and Bio would make it to the semis. I've been shilling Desu for a while in this thread, telling people they are underestimating him. Its not MogeGoji lol.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Honestly, and this may be controversial. But I know who I'm voting for in the event of a tie tomorrow. And it breaks my heart. But I'm voting Desu. Sorry Goji89. :/
Last edited by shadowgigan on Thu May 06, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 pm

I didin't expect him to make it to the finals because, first of all he is the number one seed, so thats a target on his back. Second, there seemed to be a backlash against him. Third, I felt like being the original he would have an additional target on his back.

I'm not going to lie, I tried to structure seeding in a way that I thought reflected the consensus (I think I was largely vindicated on that) but I also tried to give each era (Showa, Heisei, Millenium, and Reiwa) a reasonable path to the Final Four. I really thought Millenium would get one in but thought it would be MireGoji closer, not Kiryu.

Added in 43 seconds:

I've been keeping track of Era results too, they're on the front page. Though not complete. Overall that's secondary to the main tournament though.
Honestly given TK's meme rep of "Showa bias" only thing I am not shocked by is two Showa suits in the semi-finals, which if 64(A) was not matched against Shodai Goji we might've gotten it so if anything I expected the possibility of Shodai Goji winning it all.
I think if Showa bias were real, at least one Showa suit would have upset a higher seeded suit. Here, that did happen once. But it was against another Showa suit. I'm not sure which Showa suit that lost would have beaten a corresponding winning suit of a different era. Millenium was the biggest winner and almost knocked out one of Showa's big boys (1968) in the first round!
I mean almost doesn't really count it. I see it more as a better suit losing out to 68 because of the meme "Showa bias" given 68 wasn't seen as much of a good looker even among Showa fans. Also considering the Millennium era got knocked out without a single rep in the semi-finals I don't see them much as "winners" here. Outside of the anime and Reiwa era (Knocked out in their first matches) they seem like the losers in this

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

54 votes lmao.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:44 pm

I mean almost doesn't really count it. I see it more as a better suit losing out to 68 because of the meme "Showa bias" given 68 wasn't seen as much of a good looker even among Showa fans. Also considering the Millennium era got knocked out without a single rep in the semi-finals I don't see them much as "winners" here. Outside of the anime and Reiwa era (Knocked out in their first matches) they seem like the losers in this
Average Place
S 15.125
H 15.8
M 9.8
MV 16
R 19.33333333

I've done the math. Millenium has won average place. Though they may have been aided by my seeding.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Uhh... everyone with a brain voted for G68. And as far as I'm aware, most Showa fans agree G68 is atleast above the average.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:46 pm

Uhh... everyone with a brain voted for G68. And as far as I'm aware, most Showa fans agree G68 is atleast above the average.
It's why he waa the 11th seed. I didn't realize people liked GFW Goji. The match I am most unable to explain, however, is still 1954 vs 2014. That was insane. I don't know if it was just low turnout or what. This match has certainly exceeded turnout from all previous rounds.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 pm 54 votes lmao.
*My god gif*
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:46 pm

Average Place
S 15.125
H 15.8
M 9.8
MV 16
R 19.33333333

I've done the math. Millenium has won average place. Though they may have been aided by my seeding.
I mean personally I'd think seeing a Millennium suit in the semi-finals would matter more than a point on this sort of figurative metric. As it stands Showa, Heisei and MV got reps in the semis but Millennium was voted out, don't come off as winners.

Besides, points can only be measured fully when the tournament is over.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 pm Honestly, and this may be controversial. But I know who I'm voting for in the event of a tie tomorrow. And it breaks my heart. But I'm voting Desu. Sorry Goji89. :/
Why you S.O.B........ can you at least wait for that to happen to say that shyt to me.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Shadowgigan is a treacherous... uh... S.O.B.!
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:48 pm
*My god gif*

Average Place
S 15.125
H 15.8
M 9.8
MV 16
R 19.33333333

I mean personally I'd think seeing a Millennium suit in the semi-finals would matter more than a point on this sort of figurative metric. As it stands Showa, Heisei and MV got reps in the semis but Millennium was voted out, don't come off as winners.

Those aren't the points, those are just the average place finishes. And there is no anyone can beat millenium there. It had 3/4 suits in the top 8.}

As to the rest of your post, I agree with you. A final four just means more than a top 8. However, a top 8 is still super impressive. Millenium far exceeded expectations by taking out Shin.

Added in 52 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:49 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 pm Honestly, and this may be controversial. But I know who I'm voting for in the event of a tie tomorrow. And it breaks my heart. But I'm voting Desu. Sorry Goji89. :/
Why you S.O.B........ can you at least wait for that to happen to say that shyt to me.
I just made my decision and figured I'd be transparent. I basically have a shrine to it on my wall. But I'm not voting unless there is a tie.

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
Seeds 17-25 need to be revisited, but I'm not sure how to do it. In trying to do this in the most objective manner possible, I think we'd look at margin of victory, etc. I assume nobody wants to exclude any suits, even though there were almost no close matches in round 1?

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
I just think...Desu is pretty much the most impressive thing I have ever seen on film. I'll never grow tired of it. Bio would win if it were glowing. Honestly this changes every day for me so maybe I should just shut up

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm
*My god gif*

Average Place
S 15.125
H 15.8
M 9.8
MV 16
R 19.33333333

Those aren't the points, those are just the average place finishes. And there is no anyone can beat millenium there. It had 3/4 suits in the top 8.}

As to the rest of your post, I agree with you. A final four just means more than a top 8. However, a top 8 is still super impressive. Millenium far exceeded expectations by taking out Shin.

Added in 52 seconds:
I just made my decision and figured I'd be transparent. I basically have a shrine to it on my wall. But I'm not voting unless there is a tie.
Eh, Top 8 is a big step but the drop off between a semi-finalist and the top 8 is quite wider than I think even you are willing to admit. The fact that the Millennium fans already had to change their banners kinda doesn't make them feel like winners in this is all I am saying.

As far as my vote, I am probably gonna lean Desu. Both it and Bio are fantastic suits but I do like the red aesthetic to Burning Goji and those eyes tell quite the story. Just feel it is more expressive and that matters a ton to me when comparing Kaiju designs.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Well at least you're honest. Just pray we don't go to a tie, Or I'll be all over your ass like Kawakita and his love of sparks in the Heisei series.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I get what you are saying. I'm glad Desu won, glad my basically two favorite suits are in the semis, but also sad millenium didn't get in. I love those films, especially GMK.

I would never change my banner. Lol I love those films. I grew up with them and would never disavow them. Millenium is probably second most nostalgic for me, but also a select few Showa films. It'll be difficult for me to vote MV as the best until it becomes Godzilla in my mind, which may never happen. I still love the design to death, however. I wonder if BG19 should have been added as a separate design.

Added in 53 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 pm

*My god gif*

Added in 52 seconds:

Eh, Top 8 is a big step but the drop off between a semi-finalist and the top 8 is quite wider than I think even you are willing to admit. The fact that the Millennium fans already had to change their banners kinda doesn't make them feel like winners in this is all I am saying.

As far as my vote, I am probably gonna lean Desu. Both it and Bio are fantastic suits but I do like the red aesthetic to Burning Goji and those eyes tell quite the story. Just feel it is more expressive and that matters a ton to me when comparing Kaiju designs.
Whoops, meant to quote this. Damn, I shouldn't have announced that. Probably killed any suspense lmao.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Although if that happens, we'd have the same finals as godzilla-movies.com and that would be sort of cringe.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 am I get what you are saying. I'm glad Desu won, glad my basically two favorite suits are in the semis, but also sad millenium didn't get in. I love those films, especially GMK.

I would never change my banner. Lol I love those films. I grew up with them and would never disavow them. Millenium is probably second most nostalgic for me, but also a select few Showa films. It'll be difficult for me to vote MV as the best until it becomes Godzilla in my mind, which may never happen. I still love the design to death, however. I wonder if BG19 should have been added as a separate design.

Added in 53 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 pm

Added in 52 seconds:

Whoops, meant to quote this. Damn, I shouldn't have announced that. Probably killed any suspense lmao.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Although if that happens, we'd have the same finals as godzilla-movies.com and that would be sort of cringe.
For what it is worth I still fuck up with quotes on this site so I am in no position to judge lol

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 am Although if that happens, we'd have the same finals as godzilla-movies.com and that would be sort of cringe.
Hey, they're popular for a reason.

For what it's worth, though, my vote will be going to Bio.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 am
shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 am Although if that happens, we'd have the same finals as godzilla-movies.com and that would be sort of cringe.
Hey, they're popular for a reason.

For what it's worth, though, my vote will be going to Bio.
My family it grows.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I think Bio is my favorite film right now but damn I'd be hard pressed if I didn't admit that when I think of BG man...it just makes me feel something inside. That Jr. Theme starts kicking in and idk...I think it's Heisei Godzilla at its most expressive.

Added in 2 minutes 8 seconds:
Either way, Heisei will win.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 am Either way, Heisei will win.
I've made my peace with it. Too many people here hold a vendetta against G54 for defeating the Monsterverse incarnations...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

BG is great but G89 is the greatest thing to come out of this God forsaken planet. Like as if everything that happened happened so that G89 could be created. It is perfection and when I die I hope he is that Angel that will take me to the top of the stairway of Heaven..... or to the gates of Hell where I'm going anyway.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 am
shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 am Either way, Heisei will win.
I've made my peace with it. Too many people here hold a vendetta against G54 for defeating the Monsterverse incarnations...
I'm not making peace with anything, only affirming what I knew all along. I will be at peace if we lose to Shodai though. Heisei wouldn't exist if it weren't for Shodai, I owe my childhood to it tbh.

Added in 39 seconds:
Also Heisei scores are Ifukube's best since 1954!