Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Finals][1954 vs 1989] [Poll is Live]

Post by Jermobooka »

I’m going to ask every single person here one thing

Are you voting for this?

...or this.

:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am If the 54 wins, it probably deserved to. .
That's the problem, it's too predictable. All this poll work just for the most predictable outcome.
So, what, vote what *shouldn't* be considered the best design simply because the outcome is predictable?
Idk man, like I said it's the least consistent, always shrouded in darkness, the scenes he's in feels like he's actively a puppet (not its fault but something to take into account when discussing the designs). It's a legacy suit and the original, that can never be taken away. But beating 30 other suits that have dynamically, physically, and technically, all in some way shape or form, "improved" upon the original, does not add up if bias isn't considered.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not sure if its fair to use the puppet as a comparison lol.

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 am If the 54 wins, it probably deserved to. .
That's the problem, it's too predictable. All this poll work just for the most predictable outcome.
So, what, vote what *shouldn't* be considered the best design simply because the outcome is predictable?
I'll admit I'm a bit surprised its the 1 and 2 seeds in the final. But they were the top seeds for a reason lol.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:13 am
Idk man, like I said it's the least consistent, always shrouded in darkness, the scenes he's in feels like he's actively a puppet (not its fault but something to take into account when discussing the designs). It's a legacy suit and the original, that can never be taken away. But beating 30 other suits that have dynamically, physically, and technically, all in some way shape or form, "improved" upon the original, does not add up if bias isn't considered.
My question wasn't in defense of 54, or as a reason for voting against 89. My question was challenging the notion that it's a problem is something wins because it's predictable. I'd be asking the same question regardless of what the options were here.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 am My question wasn't in defense of 54, or as a reason for voting against 89. My question was challenging the notion that it's a problem is something wins because it's predictable. I'd be asking the same question regardless of what the options were here.
Not inherently wrong no, but it's something everyone could've predicted before the first match, knowing TK.

Predictability results in people dropping out of polls, since they already know the outcome. Which results in low turnout, and inaccurate brackets.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:22 am
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 am My question wasn't in defense of 54, or as a reason for voting against 89. My question was challenging the notion that it's a problem is something wins because it's predictable. I'd be asking the same question regardless of what the options were here.
Not inherently wrong no, but it's something everyone could've predicted before the first match, knowing TK.

Predictability results in people dropping out of polls, since they already know the outcome. Which results in low turnout, and inaccurate brackets.
But this still circles back to my initial question: Does that mean if someone like myself wants to vote for 54, that I should not vote for 54 simply because it's predictable? That I should vote for what I do not think is the best design?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 am

But this still circles back to my initial question: Does that mean if someone like myself wants to vote for 54, that I should not vote for 54 simply because it's predictable? That I should vote for what I do not think is the best design?
If you have an actual reason why you think its design is your best/fav, then go for it. But a lot of votes for it seem to boil down to "it is the OG" in some variant which is kinda where the fear of bias comes in.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:30 am
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:24 am

If you have an actual reason why you think its design is your best/fav, then go for it. But a lot of votes for it seem to boil down to "it is the OG" in some variant which is kinda where the fear of bias comes in.

Oh I was the second vote cast. My vote's long gone. I'm merely questioning the logic of our fellow users lol.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It all comes down to "it's the OG" probably a lot of the times. I'm guessing people just can't vote otherwise because it's the original and feel like they betrayed the fandom just my guess. I'm sure plenty live the '54 but design wise compared to 89 it doesn't hold up.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:12 am I’m going to ask every single person here one thing

Are you voting for this?

...or this.

Neither. I'm voting for this.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It feels like people are voting G54 because it'll be a huge win for me. And rather than let the designs speak for themselves.

I find it amusing .....if not hurtful.

I think I'm done with this poll.

Have at it people

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:43 am It feels like people are voting G54 because it'll be a huge win for me. And rather than let the designs speak for themselves.

I find it amusing .....if not hurtful.

I think I'm done with this poll.

Have at it people
If it makes you feel any better, I voted for 54 and my process had nothing to do with you. 89 winning this would be fine with me.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:12 am I’m going to ask every single person here one thing

Are you voting for this?

...or this.

See this ties into my reasoning that in certain shots, Goji 54 is AMAZING but the lack of consistency and some shots being less than flattering are why I voted Goji 89.

But again, shots like that DO speak for themselves.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

“54 can’t be winning this entirely opinion-based poll! It has to be bias because he’s the original subverting the objective process of deciding which fictional dinosaur looks the coolest!”
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:38 am

Are you voting for this?

...or this.

See this ties into my reasoning that in certain shots, Goji 54 is AMAZING but the lack of consistency and some shots being less than flattering are why I voted Goji 89.

But again, shots like that DO speak for themselves.
The suit almost always looks good. Most of the worse shots are of the puppet.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah I voted for the 54 in every match but this one. These same types of arguments were levied in those as well. Crazy that its performed better since needing a coinflip to get past Mosu.

I love the puppet and the maquette. Classic movie monster vibes that either can't or won't be replicated.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am Yeah I voted for the 54 in every match but this one. These same types of arguments were levied in those as well. Crazy that its performed better since needing a coinflip to get past Mosu.
Again I don't think you should've been that surprised that a Showa suit, hell the OG Showa suit, is doing well in a TK Poll.

Were Mosu not matched up against it in an earlier round, we may have gotten a Showa mirror match for the final.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am “54 can’t be winning this entirely opinion-based poll! It has to be bias because he’s the original subverting the objective process of deciding which fictional dinosaur looks the coolest!”
Spot on there, my friend :)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am Yeah I voted for the 54 in every match but this one. These same types of arguments were levied in those as well. Crazy that its performed better since needing a coinflip to get past Mosu.
Again I don't think you should've been that surprised that a Showa suit, hell the OG Showa suit, is doing well in a TK Poll.

Were Mosu not matched up against it in an earlier round, we may have gotten a Showa mirror match for the final.
Yeah, and Shodai's bracket had a lot of Showa's heavy hitters so they kind of ended up cannibalizing themselves. Heisei kind of did this too.

But yeah, maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am “54 can’t be winning this entirely opinion-based poll! It has to be bias because he’s the original subverting the objective process of deciding which fictional dinosaur looks the coolest!”
Yes, because at the end of the day that cool fictional dinosaur is an artists creation, no, he is the product of hundreds of artists. So in a DESIGN bracket, typically you want to aim for objective artistic intent to get the most accurate outcome.

So practical effects vs modern FX, suit texture, detailing, depth, etc etc etc.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 08, 2021 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.