Which of the Toho Big 4 do you think is most ready for a solo film?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which one can branch off of the Godzilla brand best?

Mothra
41%
Rodan
39%
King Ghidorah
10%
Mechagodzilla
10%

Total votes: 71

Gigantis
Sazer

Which of the Toho Big 4 do you think is most ready for a solo film?

Post by Gigantis »

Toho seems to be branching the horizons of the G-Franchise at the moment. Not only with Legendary's MonsterVerse movies going strong, but also with Singular Point bringing back Showa era monsters that haven't been seen in years. So it's clear that they're stepping out of the box at the moment with the brand.. however, something that they haven't tried in a while is giving some of Godzilla's colleague's a movie of their own. And these four would most likely be where they would start with that.

Mothra's already proven she's spinoff material (even if the three spinoff's that her son was in.. er, weren't the best things they made), we have Rodan who is absolutely begging for a solo endeavor and has a lot of potential for an action packed thrill fest, and both Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla were planned for solo films that just never got off the ground (Kiryu had a proposed film back in 2005 or so, and Ghidorah had one planned back in 1998, which Toho dropped in favor of Rebirth of Mothra III) but i think it's still likely we could get something done with them.

But if you were in charge, which one would you pick for a solo movie first?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Re: Which of the Toho Big 4 do you think is most ready for a solo film?

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Mothra definitely has the most to work off of. But if it were up to me, I’d say we’re long overdue for another Rodan solo. There’s a lot of interesting potential that could be done. Maybe more prehistoric based rivals? A modern take on the original? Some oddball new take that Toho would be happy to whip up? I’ll take whatever.

I’d be down for a Kiryu anime too for the record, as unlikely as it is we’ll get that era revisited. But hey, who knows.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

MechaGodzilla can't really exist without Godzilla, it's literally in it's name. The only way it would work is if it was a spinoff of a film where both it and Godzilla were already established. Mothra already had 4 movies of her own.

I honestly wouldn't want Ghidorah in a solo flick because he's Godzilla's nemesis, and it was already baffling enough to see him in RoM without Godzilla. Again, it could really only work as a spinoff.

Rodan is honestly the most flexible here because he has no strong ties to Godzilla or other monsters like MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah. He already had his own solo movie and nothing else. You can do almost anything with Rodan, in my opinion.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

To answer the poll's question, obviously Mothra. She's already proven to be able to function quite well on her own, and has plenty of supporting elements and lore to work off of.

Who would I personally choose? Rodan. He's been really underutilized and generally abused since the Showa days, and it's time to give him some honest spotlight again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mothra already has a trilogy of films. So it'd be too easy to pick her, she has an established background, established enemies, etc.

Rodan has proven himself time and time again. He deserves his own film, and his own villains. Hell bring back Megaguirus since they're based on the creatures from Rodans 57 film.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Where's the none of them button?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:10 pm Where's the none of them button?
Never being added. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Yeah I agree with the general consensus. The only way mechagodzilla would work would be through something like kiryu, because otherwise they don't really have an identity of their own. Their existence is to oppose something else. Can you have a spiderman-less venom story, sure, but you need to start fleshing out Eddie Brock if you do it (and yes I understand what the film tries to varying levels of success to do). Similarly Kiryu really is the only iteration of mg that has his own character, and even that is more of a tragic extension of the 54 goji than a mechagodzilla character. Mothra obviously has some lore that could be further expanded, but rodan and ghidorah remain fairly blank slates. While I would really enjoy more mothra content, I would take any solo endeavor as a pleasant change of pace.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Mechagodzilla could work if it is already depicted in a previous Godzilla movie in the same universe. Basically like Pacific Rim only with Toho. Still, I don't think MG is a prime candidate nor is Mothra because Mothra already got one. So I am going to say Rodan and Ghidorah. Rodan's original film is excellent and one of the best Toho kaiju films that don't have any Godzilla in it. It could also serve to develop Rodan. However my personal pick goes to Ghidorah. Ghidorah has been able to stand alone as two different creatures in Mothra's spinoff. I think it would be pretty awesome. We always hear how Ghidorah has a reputation for destroying planets but we never actually get to see him destroy any planet. This would be the perfect opportunity to do so! It would also make his appearance in a regular Godzilla film more meaningful because we know what Ghidorah will be capable of and what Godzilla is up against. It would be very scary to see civilizations and planets wiped out by one monster.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Rodan could fit into the Shin mold really well, by harkening back to the horror of the original film while also taking some risks. I would love to see that.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra is the obvious answer, but the Mothra mythology can limit the kind of stories that could be told, unless you want to go far out with the character. Rodan is the best kaiju right now for a solo outing. Rodan is still fresh in peoples minds because of GkotM, and the story possibilities are endless.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

I feel Rodan has the most potential (seeing as how even though he is a part in the big 5 Toho really never does a whole lot with him anymore), but I'm also curious to see what a King Ghidorah solo film would be like, I mean I would be interested in a film about how the alien race on Venus in Ghidorah the 3-headed Monster fell to his might, I know it would have a real downer ending and all but aside from characters in movies telling the audience about how King Ghidorah has literal planets under his belt of conquest we've never really seen him do it, heck I don't think it has to be a film it could be like a miniseries with each episode showing the different stages of Ghidorah's attack from when he first touched down on the planet and the final episode being about a small group of Venusians fleeing to a still developing Earth

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I've done some more thinking about this, and I have more reservations about Rodan than I initially had. Particularly, while he is much more of a blank slate, I'm skeptical to say he has the most potential. Yes Rodan has little pre-established lore, but his general design as a character isn't the most open ended. As he stands, he pretty much is a giant Pteranodon. That doesn't mean more creative stories can't be made, but I'd be concerned any solo Rodan outing would just be another dino kaiju outing, which I don't think would be anything particularly new. But then again I'm not the most creative individual by any means, and if done properly continuing the Rodan meganulan relationship might be a way to go.
He Jock it Made of Steel

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It seems to me that Rodan's speed and ability to destroy very casually make him one of the more godlike kaiju, in terms of his potential ability to just effortlessly overwhelm humanity. There could be story potential there.

One idea I have is for a dark, horrifying, 'Shin'- style approach. Basically we revisit the original idea of a mated pair of Rodans emerging from the underground remnants of some ancient, volcanic ecosystem; the Monsterverse had an idea there that it probably isn't going to follow up on. From there, the Rodans proceed to become the new humanity. The new world in which they find themselves is not to their liking, so they change it, triggering volcanic eruptions across Japan/the world and terraforming the environment to what they were used to with no regard for the current residents of the land. They level and burn our cities as casually as we clear forests, paving the way for their nesting grounds or whatever. When we try to fight back, they casually slaughter us. Somebody came up with an idea for Rodan to breath clouds of toxic volcanic gasses as a weapon, and that would be ideal here; they'd gas us just like we poison anthills and beehives. They'd deliberately release swarms of the Meganula that they feed on, which would proceed to royally screw up civilizations and ecosystems already reeling from the rapid climate change.

Maybe it just ends like that, with the Rodans dooming the world as we know it, or maybe someone finds a last-minute solution and straightens things out; someone else will have to handle the ending, because I'm terrible with those. :P
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like your idea.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Mothra deserves a good solo film, since she hasn't gotten one since 1961. Given the mythology surrounding the character, she's the only one I think would really work on her own with no Godzilla. The others could maybe work with the right script but, to be honest, I don't see much of a point in giving them films without Godzilla.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:59 am Mothra deserves a good solo film, since she hasn't gotten one since 1961. Given the mythology surrounding the character, she's the only one I think would really work on her own with no Godzilla. The others could maybe work with the right script but, to be honest, I don't see much of a point in giving them films without Godzilla.
What, RoM isn't a thing?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think the key word is "solo". The Mothra trilogy had enemies to fight, not Mothra flying solo.

Personally, I think there's been plenty of Mothra and MG, so Rodan should have a turn now.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 am
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:59 am Mothra deserves a good solo film, since she hasn't gotten one since 1961. Given the mythology surrounding the character, she's the only one I think would really work on her own with no Godzilla. The others could maybe work with the right script but, to be honest, I don't see much of a point in giving them films without Godzilla.
What, RoM isn't a thing?
The key word there is good. I dislike all three ROM films to varying degrees with ROM2 being the worst by far.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:55 pm
Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 am
What, RoM isn't a thing?
The key word there is good. I dislike all three ROM films to varying degrees with ROM2 being the worst by far.
WHAT? ROM is the greatest series ever, better than G-Trilogy how can you find fault with these pieces of art taken from an angels ass? We can't be friends :cry: