Could Toho create a monster on par with Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Could Toho create a monster on par with Godzilla?

Post by miguelnuva »

For example could Toho create something now that had as much impact as Gojira in 54 or even Shin Godzilla in 2016 that they could create a separate franchise with.

Nothing will ever top Godzilla and the nuclear horrors the people of Japan experienced but I was thinking with climate change, the digital age and bio and chemical warfare I wonder if they could pull something new off.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Toho create a monster on par with Godzilla?

Post by tbeasley »

Well, they could, but there's a reason why Toho falls back on the 'Big 5' whenever films featuring new monsters (Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Megaguirus) underperform or outright bomb, so I don't think it's likely. A studio like Toho isn't going to risk financial disappointment when they can continue relying on bankable names with international audience recognition like Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan. They got really lucky with Legendary's Kong as well - truly covering all the well known monsters. They have it down to a science now.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

not something you'd see happen in a lifetime: godzilla's popularity layered out over several decades. To that, add that people often reject the new (both producers and consumers) so any new property would likely not survive that long without being eradicated by godzilla (figuratively and possibly film-wise)
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This might sound weird to say, but they sort of already have...with Shin Godzilla. Obviously, it's Godzilla. But it's easy to say that in many regards if it wasn't for Legendary and other outlets, that Shin Godzilla pretty much replaced the image of Godzilla in modern times. It's VERY recently worn off, damaged by the anime trilogy, KOTM/Godzilla vs. Kong, Godziban and Singular Point, but there was a few years where Shin basically cannibalised and became more popular than regular Godzilla. Pretty much all the Japanese people I know, save for die hard Godzilla fans, have seen Shin or are famiilar with Shin but haven't really delved into the franchise behind that.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'd actually argue, no. The reason Godzilla has such an impact is because he not only represents the genre, he pretty much IS the genre to the general public (outside of maybe King Kong if we extend the genre to all monster flicks/creature features). He was the foundation of the suitmation technology on the tokusatsu scene in Japan, and paved the way for any other notable genre staples. Would Godzilla be the pop culture wrecking ball if he only had his original film, I can't say. But what I can say is that the time for Toho to make a monster with as much recognition as Godzilla, in my opinion, is far gone, godzilla just has too much historic and cultural influence. Even if a new monster to represent the new ages does come around, he will still be compared to the benchmark that is godzilla, and I think that will always be unavoidable.
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 am I'd actually argue, no. The reason Godzilla has such an impact is because he not only represents the genre, he pretty much IS the genre to the general public (outside of maybe King Kong if we extend the genre to all monster flicks/creature features). He was the foundation of the suitmation technology on the tokusatsu scene in Japan, and paved the way for any other notable genre staples. Would Godzilla be the pop culture wrecking ball if he only had his original film, I can't say. But what I can say is that the time for Toho to make a monster with as much recognition as Godzilla, in my opinion, is far gone, godzilla just has too much historic and cultural influence. Even if a new monster to represent the new ages does come around, he will still be compared to the benchmark that is godzilla, and I think that will always be unavoidable.
I'm gonna agree with old Jetty_Jags here. Godzilla is too far gone from the Japanese hands and is too strong. It won't be replaced no matter how hard they try. He is enivegetable.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

To add to what others have said, I also feel that Toho could not, but that someone could. You're right about the world changing, but I don't think Toho would create something new, and I don't think we would want them to. Godzilla can be changed to fit the times, and it is great fun to see him evolve. But if a monster came around to have the same cultural significance as Godzilla, it wouldn't be from Toho.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The ultimate issue is that Godzilla was lightning in a bottle. Could Toho capture lighting in a bottle again? Sure.

But trying to catch lightning in a bottle is a dicy proposition. 99% of the time it's going to result in a studio holding up an old milk carton with a burnt-out lightbulb inside and shouting, "Look! Look! Look at all this lightning!"
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

They tried thru the 60s. Didn't do it then. If they couldn't do it then, doubt they could do it now.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Not anytime soon, because media is over saturated. Cultural touchstone movies and IP are fewer and further between despite more attempts and higher viewership than ever. There’s just too much STUFF to consume nowadays for us to ever see a new IP in any part of the world have as much impact as Godzilla.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just to be clear I don't mean the new IP would instantly match Godzilla. The new ip would be impactful enough as Gojira in 1954 that Toho would be able to justify a franchise like Godzilla became one.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 pm Just to be clear I don't mean the new IP would instantly match Godzilla. The new ip would be impactful enough as Gojira in 1954 that Toho would be able to justify a franchise like Godzilla became one.
I'm honestly not sure. In some regard I would say they may have already done so with Mothra and Rodan, albeit these monsters had been more absorbed within the identity of Godzilla than expanding their own. Yet as box office numbers seem to suggest, Godzilla does best with his "Big Five". But also going back to LSD's point, along with what other's have said regarding Toho's general attitude to risky creative endeavors, I'd argue the likes of birthing a new monster franchise would even surpass their relatively relaxed stance with the franchise at the moment, especially considering Godzilla has proven to be so versatile. If nothing else, Godzilla has proven to be a pop culture icon who can withstand changing cultural attitudes, and despite his inception being tied to a highly specific event and period (albeit a very impactful one in the greater world history), he has continually been able to adapt to contemporary issues. When you have a character with such widespread cultural recognition, and that character has the ability to be updated to reflect modern problems and concerns, is there any incentive, or even any reason to invent a new one?

Added in 24 minutes 39 seconds:
This topic really has gotten me thinking about what separates Godzilla from other kaiju, and I'm lead to believe a significant portion comes down to his versatility, or at least the audience's willingness to accept more diverse applications of the character. Now my experience with non-Toho kaiju is fairly limited (something I hope to correct over the summer when I get more free time) so for those with more direct exposure to the material please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. That being said, can we truly say that other famous Kaiju have the thematic adaptability of Godzilla? I certainly don't think a character like Kong does, at least not reviewing how he has been utilized. This is not an attack on the King Kong franchise, but even relatively more experimental takes like Kong Skull Island area fairly derivative within the predetermined archetype. This is not to say Kong couldn't be put in more versatile stories, but would the audience still associate this with Kong? How about Gamera? While characters like Garmera have definitely evolved over time, it is my understanding that these changes have done more to cement in a fixed interpretation rather than open new opportunities. The best analogue would be the character of Mr. Freeze in the Batman mythos who largely started out as a B character never really amounting to much. Yet his re-invention in Batman TAS episode "Heart of Ice" would be so impactful that it would go to define the character in all subsequent adaptations. In a sense, every Mr. Freeze adaptation prior was an adaptation of "Heart of Ice" and those that weren't were generally received poorly, begging the question, how much of Gamera is fluid beyond what was established in the 90's trilogy?
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Also worth noting that, while there was the original and a quick sequel, Godzilla wasn't considered franchise material for Toho until after the success of King Kong vs Godzilla, costarring another well known character. (Which in no doubt influenced Toho to bring back Mothra and Rodan for the next few films.)
Last edited by tbeasley on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's possible, but not likely. First, Godzilla has recognition and appreciation around the world. That gives him a big shadow which would hide any new creation. Even if the new kaiju was a good one with a good movie, it would still have to contend with Godzilla and be compared to him. Second, Toho's history has shown that new kaiju don't always bring in money. Godzilla and his popular brethren are known money makers, and Toho will milk that cow for all it's worth.

Toho could try it, but I doubt they will.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

"Could Toho create a monster on par with Godzilla?"

Of course they could. Anyone could.

It would just take 65 years to realize they had.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I don't think so. Godzilla is so well known around the world and as a result so successful it is almost impossible to recreate such success. Now I am sure they can create unique monsters in the future if they wanted, but they seem happy just using old ones.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

If they had the right team and marketing campaign, it's possible. But ultimately they have such a vast library of monsters they'd be best served by elevating an existing monster/character rather than start all over.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I don't think they could, and why would they? Godzilla is their magnum opus, and more than half a century of success shows it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns