Kaiju and Emotions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Kaiju and Emotions

Post by Voyager »

What emotions do certain kaiju feel? This is inspired by GvR’s quote in Soggy’s sig. And yes, I do believe Heisei Goji feels fear. Him falling into the mountain, Biollnate throwing fists, SpaceG threatening Jr’s life, Destoroyah attacking Jr, SMG literally murdering Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju and Emotions

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I definitely believe Gamera felt forgiveness towards Ayana in spite of all that she had done. Enough to resurrect both her and Moribe. I find that scene incredibly moving and thematically compliments the idea of Gamera as god/a god.
Resized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:43 am And yes, I do believe Heisei Goji feels fear.
You say that like it’s controversial for him not to.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:04 am
VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:43 am And yes, I do believe Heisei Goji feels fear.
There kinda was one two days ago.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Didn’t mean it like that, but ok. I only said it like that to put my opinion in.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Obviously 1954 Godzilla feels anger, hatred, and maybe some sadness and fear.

Mothra feels joy, sadness, and anger too.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Probably a result of the recent Heisei Godzilla vs. Dogora match discussion where Godzilla was written as afraid of Dogora and tried to run from the fight before being forced in. Led to a whole debate about if Heisei Godzilla feels fear or if it was OOC or not.

I was in the camp that felt it was too OOC and wasn't a personal fan, but don't object to the idea of Heisei Godzilla feeling fear. Just usually anger is the dominant emotion.

In fact I'd say Heisei Godzilla is one of the most emotive Kaiju, showing signs of sorry & sadness when Jr. died at Destoroyah's hands, moments of fears but pressing on valiantly, overwhelming fury & anger especially at Destoroyah etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:07 pm
Probably a result of the recent Heisei Godzilla vs. Dogora match discussion where Godzilla was written as afraid of Dogora and tried to run from the fight before being forced in. Led to a whole debate about if Heisei Godzilla feels fear or if it was OOC or not.

I was in the camp that felt it was too OOC and wasn't a personal fan, but don't object to the idea of Heisei Godzilla feeling fear. Just usually anger is the dominant emotion.
We’re talking about the same KWC that has a Mechani-Kong powered by the soul of the original Kong, right?

I don’t think OCC is that big of an issue there.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:15 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:07 pm

We’re talking about the same KWC that has a Mechani-Kong powered by the soul of the original Kong, right?

I don’t think OCC is that big of an issue there.
Nope but like any individual match element it is right to critique if it takes them out of the story, which was the case for some in Heisei Godzilla's characterization in the match.

Either way more context behind this than anything.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Heisei Godzilla was quite expressive, and not just in G vs Destroyah. We have the scene in G vs KG with Godzilla remembering Shindo and how hard he fought to protect Little Godzilla against SG.

Aside from Godzilla, Rodan laughed at Godzilla in G3HM; Minya displays a variety of childlike emotions, even throwing a tantrum; And then there's Sanda. He's very expressive, too. After saving Akemi, his behavior seems to suggests that he wishes he could be with her, but as a kaiju, he can no longer be a part of her world. There's also his complicated relationship with Gaira. He really tries to make peace with his "brother", hesitating to do battle until he realizes Gaira won't change. The look on his face before he commits to the fight goes further to make him a tragic kaiju than anything else.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Shin Godzilla seems like he's in agony. Like, he doesn't want to destroy, but he's just so powerful he can't contain it. When he closed his mouth during his atomic breath, it seemed to burn him a little bit. I didn't get the impression he was evil or even vengeful like the Heisei Godzilla was at times or GMK Godzilla.

I loved the emotion Godzilla showed in Godzilla 2014. Him looking at Ford for a brief moment. It seemed like the two of them understood each other's pain for a brief moment..
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Showa Kong is an all around moron with an ugly design, but he radiates personality. From even the most subtle things like his reaction anytime to getting hit with Godzilla's atomic breath to his berry juice drinking to the way you can just see him process new information that comes to him he really is the most expressive Kong up to the Peter Jackson version & beyond.
Last edited by godjacob on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

godjacob wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 pm Showa Kong is an all around moron with an ugly design, but he radiates personality. From even the most subtle things like his reaction anytime to getting hit with Godzilla's atomic breath to his berry juice drinking to the way you can just see him process new information that comes to him he really is the most expressive Kong up to the Peter Jackson version & beyond.
More expressive than the 76 Kong? I feel being able to see the suit actor's eyes in that move gave Kong a lot of expression, compared to the sometimes dead look of the 62 Kong. Though I guess body language plays a big part in that, which 62 Kong is full of.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:06 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 pm Showa Kong is an all around moron with an ugly design, but he radiates personality. From even the most subtle things like his reaction anytime to getting hit with Godzilla's atomic breath to his berry juice drinking to the way you can just see him process new information that comes to him he really is the most expressive Kong up to the Peter Jackson version & beyond.
More expressive than the 76 Kong? I feel being able to see the suit actor's eyes in that move gave Kong a lot of expression, compared to the sometimes dead look of the 62 Kong. Though I guess body language plays a big part in that, which 62 Kong is full of.
A big deal no doubt (Been a while since I've seen the 76 version) but I think that 62 in spite of the ugly suit was able to convey more emotion and seemed more energetic and less "stiff" I suppose.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Honestly the 1962 version of Kong is my favorite and the one that continually leaves an impression on me.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The 62 Kong had a great reaction after the first fight with Godzilla. After getting burned, he walks away scratching his head like he's trying to figure out what to do with his fire breathing enemy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.