"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:29 pm In GvsKG, wouldn't there technically be two Ghidorahs existing at the same place at the same time? Godzilla defeats Ghidorah and he lands on the sea floor, where he remains there for roughly a century before is revived as Mecha-King Ghidorah and sent back to 1992 to to fight Godzilla. So when MKG is fighting Godzilla, the original King Ghidorah is still in a coma at the bottom of the ocean. That means when MKG is defeated and it's components are salvaged to make Mechagodzilla, the original King Ghidorah is technically still alive because it doesn't become MKG until looooong after the events of the Heisei series.
Pretty much. I don't think that's an oversight, or conflicts with anything. Funnily enough, Ghiodrah isn't the only one down there. Battra's corpse is also down in bottom of the ocean!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

King Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla have never fought one another or even encountered one another (to my knowledge), yet they always seem to share some sort of connection. Ghidorah randomly appears in a vision in GvsMG, and is referenced again in TOMG. In GvsMG2, MechaGodzilla is reverse-engineered from Mecha-King Ghidorah's remains. In the manga, it takes it a step further and MG is actually possessed by MKG. In GvK, MechaGodzilla incorporates Ghidorah's remains into its systems, and eventually gets possessed by Ghidorah.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:38 am King Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla have never fought one another or even encountered one another (to my knowledge), yet they always seem to share some sort of connection. Ghidorah randomly appears in a vision in GvsMG, and is referenced again in TOMG. In GvsMG2, MechaGodzilla is reverse-engineered from Mecha-King Ghidorah's remains. In the manga, it takes it a step further and MG is actually possessed by MKG. In GvK, MechaGodzilla incorporates Ghidorah's remains into its systems, and eventually gets possessed by Ghidorah.
Interesting...
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Both kaiju are popular and frequent enemies of Godzilla, but it is interesting how often they get linked in some way.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

In Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah when the Futurians warn of Godzilla's false attack on Japan, one of the confused reactions is shock that Godzilla would do something like that to them.

Godzilla has attacked Japan in the prior two films of this continuity. Why is it suddenly hard to imagine Godzilla would do it again?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Well, they said Godzilla was going to destroy Japan, different than attacking. A bit of a different thing, even if the actions are similar.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

At the time the assumption was that the ANEB effectively killed/incapacitated Godzilla too. If Emi's words are to be trusted, it turns out there Pre-Revival of Godzilla timeline never had Godzilla recover. In that moment they're right to be biwildered by the statement.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

wouldnt the bacteria worked on godzilla as long as it wasnt in a really hot place? like godzilla regenerate and all but abcteria change and adapt really fast so its one of the less destructive ways to kill godzilla or neutralize him in the heisei series

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They wanted Godzilla's temperature to increase. It was his low temperature that caused the ANEB to not initially work.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:53 pm At the time the assumption was that the ANEB effectively killed/incapacitated Godzilla too. If Emi's words are to be trusted, it turns out there Pre-Revival of Godzilla timeline never had Godzilla recover. In that moment they're right to be biwildered by the statement.
Makes sense, though this does raise another question.

In a pre-revival Godzilla timeline, were SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah just...not things? Can't imagine Japan having a glorious future whether either SpaceGodzilla takes over the Earth or Destoroyah kills everyone and without Godzilla/Futurian tech to make things like SpaceGodzilla/Moguera they would be kinda screwed.

Battra I can least reason Mothra just probably beats him in that hypothetical timeline.
Last edited by godjacob on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

If Spacegodzilla's origin follows the Mothra theory, then that eliminates Spacegodzilla from the timeline. As for Destoroyah, presumably an in-universe explanation could be that Japan just never went drilling in Tokyo Bay for some reason or another. To be fair, it could also be that they froze Destoroyah since I don't think that the Futurian tech that they studied included any sort of freezing technology. The biggest remaining question mark then is what happened to Rodan and Jr.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

godjacob wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:09 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:53 pm At the time the assumption was that the ANEB effectively killed/incapacitated Godzilla too. If Emi's words are to be trusted, it turns out there Pre-Revival of Godzilla timeline never had Godzilla recover. In that moment they're right to be biwildered by the statement.
Makes sense, though this does raise another question.

In a pre-revival Godzilla timeline, were SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah just...not things? Can't imagine Japan having a glorious future whether either SpaceGodzilla takes over the Earth or Destoroyah kills everyone and without Godzilla/Futurian tech to make things like SpaceGodzilla/Moguera they would be kinda screwed.

Battra I can least reason Mothra just probably beats him in that hypothetical timeline.
The easy answer here is those two didn't exist as ideas yet, but the fact that those movies exist means GvKG doesn't have the luxury of existing in a vacuum, making the story they were trying to tell in that film ungodly convoluted.

And at the risk of making this timeline issue even further convoluted, the fact that this whole active diverging timeline thing is evidently only referenced in material released as contemporaries with GvKG and apparently nowhere else afterwards... Could it being a case of diverging timelines have gotten retconned? The folks over at WikiZilla discovered that Heisei Godzilla had been created in this diverged timeline in 1989(!), meaning that '84 & GvB were intended to be wiped. However, the direct references to their events by the direct mention of Biollante, Yuki looking to avenge Gondo, & them being on Super-X III means that this intention ultimately got tossed in the bin at a later date, making the whole point of it being a diverged timeline absolutely pointless as nothing really changed, and SpaceG & Destoroyah exist outside the Futurian sphere of influence, and as noted, Godzilla's aide was vital in defeating them. :dizzy:

Welcome to the New Timeline, same as the Old Timeline.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's doubtful the writers gave the same level of thought to this issue as we are. Their concern was an interesting story, while we have the luxury and hindsight to point out lapses in logic.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:29 pm In GvsKG, wouldn't there technically be two Ghidorahs existing at the same place at the same time? Godzilla defeats Ghidorah and he lands on the sea floor, where he remains there for roughly a century before is revived as Mecha-King Ghidorah and sent back to 1992 to to fight Godzilla. So when MKG is fighting Godzilla, the original King Ghidorah is still in a coma at the bottom of the ocean. That means when MKG is defeated and it's components are salvaged to make Mechagodzilla, the original King Ghidorah is technically still alive because it doesn't become MKG until looooong after the events of the Heisei series.
They explained the present/future version replaces the past version when the samething from two different times come in the same time. This is why they didn't bring Shindo to 1954 with them to find the Dinosaur that becames Heisei Godzilla. When Mecha King Ghidorah fights Godzilla, the past injured King Ghidorah disappears.

As for what happened in the original timeline, here's my thoughts,
1. Japan doesn't have kaiju attacks until 92 when Battra attacks. During this time a Super X 3 (maybe not the freeze maser but still some sort of countermeasures towards Godzilla. I'm pretty sure Japan would build Godzilla preparations in those years) is built.
2. Instead of fighting Godzilla, Mothra larva hatches, escapes, and hides before Battra larva arrives. The super x fights larva Battra. Eventually Battra leaves and goes after Mothra. He destroys the tanker and the Cosmos help the main characters hide on infant island. Maybe Mothra has a healthier cocooning and is stronger than Battra. But instead of killing Battra, Mothra negotiates with Battra to protect Earth while he goes to stop the meteor.
3. It has been mentioned that a new Toho book states that the Mysterians is cannon to the Heisei timeline and was the basis for Moguera with future technology. Rodan kills the expedition party and raises Baby. The Japanese Government is afraid of two Rodans not knowing that was a Godzillasaur egg and sends a prototype weaker Moguera to fight Rodan. Mothra and the Cosmos intervene and convince Rodan and Japan to leave each other (nothing in the movie indicates Rodan would leave the island unless provoked).
4. Likely SpaceGodzilla doesn't happen since because of Mothra in the original timeline. But for fan fiction sake, Let's say he happens and kidnaps Little Godzilla. Fire Rodan, Mothra, and a more advanced Moguera, another Super X, and an army of JDSF masers, tanks, Jets, ect... fight SpaceGodzilla. Mothra, Moguera, Fire Rodan, and the army die from killing SpaceGodzilla. My justification for the JSDF army is less frequent kaiju attacks on Japan means more money to build up defenses but there's still enough justification to prepare for kaiju attacks.
5. Bas Island sinks, but Junior absorbs all of the urinanum instead of sharing with Godzilla senior. As a result, he's a full grown 100 meter Godzilla. Miki uses telepathy to get Junior to fight Destroyah but this time Junior is 100 meters while Destroyah is only 50 meters. Junior kills Destroyah with freeze masers finishing off the little Destroyah remnants.
6. Assuming Gigan Rex is cannon, Junior faces Gigan Rex a little bit weaker in this Timeline. They both die in the battle.
7. The rest of the original Timeline is Japan becoming the world economic superpower.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:24 am They wanted Godzilla's temperature to increase. It was his low temperature that caused the ANEB to not initially work.
I completely brain farted this since its been a while since i watched it and used real world logic of ''well if godzilla is in like a volcano or something it would maybe be bad for the bacteria'' my bad lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, microbes have been found in some very hot and inhospitable places, so they can adapt to that sort of thing.

I'm curious if the owner of the Yahlen, the yacht in G vs TSM, ever discovered the fate of his boat. I don't think Ryota would admit to the theft, fearing the consequences, but he might have sent some apology to the owner. Ryota seemed like a good guy aside from taking the yacht.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I like to think everyone lived mostly happy lives after all that.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I know this would bore the piss out of any other human being, but I think a lot about what it was like for the Showa Godzilla to meet the second Anguirus and what it was like to become an ally with someone who resembles a former foe he had killed. Their relationship isn't as linear as Godzilla and Rodan.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

JVM wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:50 am I know this would bore the piss out of any other human being, but I think a lot about what it was like for the Showa Godzilla to meet the second Anguirus and what it was like to become an ally with someone who resembles a former foe he had killed. Their relationship isn't as linear as Godzilla and Rodan.
I kinda wanna see that now. That could honestly be a whole movie detailing that journey of friendship.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

“You know, I actually have a cousin that lives in Siberia. His shell can open and close, really funny guy. Haven’t heard of him for a long time though…wonder what happened to him.”
“Hahahaha yeah who knows really”