"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by Legion1979 »

Also, they were two films made seven years apart by two different directors, writers and effects directors. I don't think anyone making Godzilla vs Hedorah in 1971 was thinking about events from a Godzilla from made in 1964.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:44 am
Breakdown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:48 am Why didn't the SDF re-use the electrical towers and nets from Mothra vs Godzilla to field against Hedorah? I think it would have been more cost-efficient and simpler to retrofit existing electrical towers rather than build huge reflector panels which had several technical issues.

They could still lure Hedorah into a trap like in the movie and it probably would have worked better in the long run.
Godzilla did a lot of damage to those towers, for one thing. And Hedorah was seven years later; the towers might have been torn down and something else built in their place. That, and they didn't even work against Godzilla, so chances are the panels were more powerful.
I meant retrofitting existing towers to match the configuration of the ones from '64, lol. Or just simply erecting new ones. Also those towers were actually hurting Godzilla to the point where he was writhing on the ground. The only reason it failed was because the military guy in charge increased the voltage beyond capacity and blew the generators. If they can make Godzilla squirm on the ground in pain, I'm certain they'd roast Hedorah who's likely even more vulnerable to electricity than Godzilla was.
Also, they were two films made seven years apart by two different directors, writers and effects directors. I don't think anyone making Godzilla vs Hedorah in 1971 was thinking about events from a Godzilla from made in 1964.
Obviously, however I'm speaking strictly in-universe.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's breath easily melted the artificial lightning towers. I suppose being large panels made it more convincing that they could survive atomic breath.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ignoring the obvious that Legion1979 states (different time periods different directors) the Showa series is all over the place with it's technology, on the surface. What fascinates me is that the latter Showa series barely focuses on the military as a serious deterrent. 62, 64, and DAM show extensive military plots to counter Godzilla and other monsters. From Gigan onwards, the military goes largely ignored, save for stock footage fodder.

I used to find that Hedorah barely engages with the military to be "lazy". Now I see it as a deliberate understanding that Hedorah wiping out platoons of tanks isn't necessary or important to the overall story as it's primarily focused on an environmental messages (in addition o budget!). We see how easily Hedorah can impede cars and melt steel, and it's easy to imagine the damage Hedorah would do to tanks and airplanes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Let's face it, 70s G is so OP that he can probably control the intensity and power of his beam or some such. Probably how he flies in that film specifically too.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The insurance adjustors in this version of Japan are obviously very busy people and the cost of living must be sky-high.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaiju insurance is probably higher for those living by the coast.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

What exactly happened during the Battra/Mothra bonding energy/sync scene prior to Battra joining the fight with her against Godzilla. The two were mortal enemies for thousands of years with differed stances on humanity, yet he basically gave his life for her against Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The massive 24 year gap between ToMG and DAM. What happened? We need a series on this, stat.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:28 am What exactly happened during the Battra/Mothra bonding energy/sync scene prior to Battra joining the fight with her against Godzilla. The two were mortal enemies for thousands of years with differed stances on humanity, yet he basically gave his life for her against Godzilla.
They both needed Godzilla out of the way. He's a threat to both humanity and the planet at large. Mothra and Battra recognized this and joined forces against their common enemy. Battra wasn't dying for Mothra, he was still just pursuing his own goals.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:54 am The massive 24 year gap between ToMG and DAM. What happened? We need a series on this, stat.

This looks like a job for.....fan fiction.

I'm pretty sure there's already stories that explore this gap.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:54 am The massive 24 year gap between ToMG and DAM. What happened? We need a series on this, stat.
I fully agree on this.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

According to Marvel, its comic book series happened for a small part of it (presumably the late 1970s). After that, who knows?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am
According to Marvel, its comic book series happened for a small part of it (presumably the late 1970s). After that, who knows?
Showa Godzilla canonically fought the Marvel Superheroes. I'm dying bruh :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am
mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am
That's nothing, I hear Heisei Godzilla had a one on one with the Charles Barkley 8-)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 pm
mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 am According to Marvel, its comic book series happened for a small part of it (presumably the late 1970s). After that, who knows?
That's nothing, I hear Heisei Godzilla had a one on one with the Charles Barkley 8-)
Giant Charles Barkley canon??????? Hello staff??????
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Nah was just pulling your leg :lol:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah I know I was making a funny :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wonder if Japan was able to salvage any alien tech from the Xilien Earth base after it blew up. The following films don't seem to show any big advances in technology, but it may have been difficult to understand or backwards engineer.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah I know I was making a funny :lol:
I mean, it was an officially licensed adaptation, so it is canonical.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.