LGBT characters in the Godzilla franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: LGBT characters in the Godzilla franchise

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Really the only kaiju film I can think of off the top of my head that has intentional sexual themes is Gamera 3.

Asakura Mito isn't necessarily sexualized per se, but there does seem to be some greater emphasis on her beauty and sensuality when compared to Nagamine and Asagi. Like the part where she slowly prowls towards Kurata when he's at his computer.

Then there's Iris and Ayana. The "I'm so hot" scene is blatantly sexual and Kaneko admitted it was supposed to be symbolic of them "making love." (You'll have to scroll down for a bit, but it's there)

And plus there's Iris' design which seems, intentionally or unintentionally, remiscent of an H.R. Giger biomechanical blending of male and female attributes. The slit in his abdomen certainly conjures up vaginal imagery and, uh, what's between his legs there.
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Plus, I believe the first time we see adult Iris he's just killed the woman that ran off into the forest to be intimate with her boyfriend.

Also, in addition to the attributes you described, Iris' abdomen reminds me of Mefilas Seijin.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

You know times are comfortable when there are actually concerns about (insert arbitrary identity group here.) That being said, my view aligns with the majority in this thread and most "westerners" in the fact that I don't give a rat's ass what arbitrary identity group they decide to add. However since Japan is not known for pandering to anybody except the Japanese, I don't really forsee this the near future. If a rainbow character is added, it is likely gonna be from another country, probably the United States.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would agree. While romance has been done in several Godzilla films, sexuality, including homosexual, doesn't really come through in them. In Gojira, we see women dancing with each other on the boat, but it doesn't mean anything.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

While sexuality is rarely a major theme of kaiju movies, plenty of them have featured romantic relationships as secondary or tertiary story elements. I don't think anybody in this thread is demanding Toho dedicate a Godzilla movie to exploring non-heteronormative sexuality, only that it would be nice if some of those already-present relationships could be same sex, or some of those characters non-binary, in ways that ultimately don't affect the movie any more than Invasion of Astro-Monster is impacted by Tetsuo and Haruni being a hetero couple.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:42 pm While sexuality is rarely a major theme of kaiju movies, plenty of them have featured romantic relationships as secondary or tertiary story elements. I don't think anybody in this thread is demanding Toho dedicate a Godzilla movie to exploring non-heteronormative sexuality, only that it would be nice if some of those already-present relationships could be same sex, or some of those characters non-binary, in ways that ultimately don't affect the movie any more than Invasion of Astro-Monster is impacted by Tetsuo and Haruni being a hetero couple.
Exactly. Romance is not confined to man and woman pairs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I have no problems with LGBT+ characters in the fiction I consume.

However, I do hate pandering because it comes across as cheap, shallow, and preachy, and unfortunately, a lot of LGBT+ characters in recent years have felt like pandering and soulless stand-ins designed to check a box rather than actually contribute anything meaningful. Steven Universe got a lot of praise for its inclusion and tacking of LGBTQ+ relationships and characters, but its hard for me to get into that when everyone is either terrible or a neurotic mess that makes me want to throw something at the TV. You also had the She-Ra reboot which felt like someone's bad fan fiction got produced into a show and pretty much ignored most of the elements that made me love She-Ra as a kid. And I just tried to watch The Haunting of Bly House on Netflix and I couldn't get passed the third episode because A) The kids were super obnoxious and B) The whole thing had the air of a bad romance novel rather than something scary...actually this is a bad example because the gay characters were probably the best thing in it, but I guess it goes to show that checking off a box with good characters doesn't save a weak story.

There's a reason why Wallace from Scott Pilgrim is my favorite character in that book and movie, and his being gay has little to do with it. I also think back to Jodie Dallas from Soap, one of my favorite characters on that show (played wonderfully by Billy Crystal in an already stellar cast) and his being gay is an important element of his character and the stories told with him, but he has a personality outside of that which makes him identifiable, sympathetic, and funny to anyone watching.

Start off with trying to make it good first. Good writing and characters and creativity should always be the highest priorities when creating works of fiction. You want to put gay characters in Godzilla? Go for it, but please don't make it an exercise in pandering and just focus on making it good, ok?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Pandering isn't usually good, though I do put the catch-22 that what counts as 'Pandering' can be very much YMMV. So, LGBT+ characters in my kaiju media consumed? Sure. Just do it as one would any other trait and put some thought in before doing it. Representation can be a very beneficial thing, so best not bungle it; especially on such an important topic as it is to some.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The jokes on all you haters. We've had one HUGE LBGT character staring us in the face all along.

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:47 pm The jokes on all you haters. We've had one HUGE LBGT character staring us in the face all along.

I guess this proves my Godzilla x Rodan theory in GTTHM :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Always find it annoying in movies (and very sexist) when Western movies do that. Like which real LGBT member runs around and just randomly talks about it? Most characters don't talk or show their sexuality in movies anyways. And assuming they are all straight just because not stated otherwise is actually some pretty ignorant thinking.

There's more to a human than color and sexuality. If you reduce a character down to that it's just as sexist (or racist) as people who don't want to see said character no matter what.

I'd be totally okay with LGBT characters appearing in Godzilla movies with their sexuality being mentioned, when it adds to the story or to show a characters connection to a person he loves. But please no character that simply exists to tell us in one scene he's gay, lesbian, whatever just for this sole reason. You never get people to accept different people by shoving them up their butts and telling them to get along with it. Just present a world where every character feels human and takes his part. That's all.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

How would you guys feel about a Gay Kaiju?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 am How would you guys feel about a Gay Kaiju?
I mean, gayness is a thing in the Animal Kingdom, but i dunno how to feel seeing Anguirus getting together with another male of his species. LGBTQ reps are probably better off being left to the humans.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 am How would you guys feel about a Gay Kaiju?
I can't say the concept has ever crossed my mind. I suppose if you wanted to you could headcanon the Rodan duo was gay?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Gigantis wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am
I mean, gayness is a thing in the Animal Kingdom, but i dunno how to feel seeing Anguirus getting together with another male of his species. LGBTQ reps are probably better off being left to the humans.
I was thinking more on along the lines of Jet Jaguar or Biollante. A kaiju with a strong human component to it. Or one of the mystical psychic kaiju.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Are we sure the Leo Mothra wasn't gay? I mean Rainbow Mothra?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Barugon was definitely gay.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Nah lol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

We got deaf representation in the latest film, so in this day and age, doing the same for the LGBT crowd can't be that far off. Since Japan is more more conservative a culture in many areas when compared to us, It will most likely first be done in the Monsterverse.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm We got deaf representation in the latest film, so in this day and age, doing the same for the LGBT crowd can't be that far off. Since Japan is more more conservative a culture in many areas when compared to us, It will most likely first be done in the Monsterverse.
I'm not so sure about that. Isn't Legendary Chinese owned or don't they have a stake in the studio? While the Chinese aren't outright bigoted, they seem to have more of a 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy with LGBTQIA+ representation in films.