Official Anatomy Pictures of Monsters & Weapons Topic

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Official Anatomy Pictures of Monsters & Weapons Topic

Post by BlankAccount »

So, we have an official unused concept art topic, why not try for something a little harder, anatomy pics. First some ground rules.

1. No fan art please, that can go in the random fan art topic, let's keep this strictly officially approved anatomy. Also note that contradictions does not mean it's unofficial, Gigan's got two official anatomy pics that say different things about his claws on this very site. https://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/analy ... showa.html

2. Please give the name of the artist and what book or other source the picture came from if you know. If you don't know just list the artist or source as unknown but you are sure it's official, I'll be honest I don't know what books they come from most times nor the artist, I find them cause others post them online without naming the artist or source.

3. Third party ones like Arrow's upcoming anatomy art for Legion and Iris in their Gamera Boxset are allowed since they have to be approved by original copyright owners to begin with. And just a heads up, a lot of my pics in my opening post are 90's Gamera related.

4. Weapons anatomy is allowed, it doesn't have to be strictly monsters who already in some cases (Hedorah, King Caesar, Mechagodzilla) kind of break the anatomy norm by not being traditional biological creatures.

5. Have fun!

Hopefully we'll see some stuff that we haven't seen before.

Kiryu 2002
Artist: Shinji Nishikawa
Source: Unknown

Super-X3

DAG-MB96/CLT-95 Freezer Maser Tank

Mechani-Kong
Artist: Unknown

Ultraman

Ultraman Head

Gamera 1995 and Gyaos 1995/Super Gyaos Anatomy/Concept Art
Artist: Shinji Higuchi
Source: The Making of Gamera

Gamera 1995

Gyaos 1995/Super Gyaos

Gamera 1996

Legion

Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Official Anatomy Pictures of Monsters & Weapons Topic

Post by Voyager »

Here is the anatomy of the Emperor of the Cosmos, Showa King Ghidorah!
For Emperor and Empire!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Here is the anatomy of the Emperor of the Cosmos, Showa King Ghidorah!
It looks like he has something that coils around his necks. I'm gonna guess it's magnetic in nature cause a weird thing about a magnetized wire, if you make it coil or spiral around itself it actually increases the power efficiency with electrcity. I think it's because it helps fight the resistance allowing the electricity to travel further and faster. Obviously this would help King Ghidorah is beam spamming like no tomorrow with little to no charging in between shots.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Living Corpse wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Here is the anatomy of the Emperor of the Cosmos, Showa King Ghidorah!
It looks like he has something that coils around his necks. I'm gonna guess it's magnetic in nature cause a weird thing about a magnetized wire, if you make it coil or spiral around itself it actually increases the power efficiency with electrcity. I think it's because it helps fight the resistance allowing the electricity to travel further and faster. Obviously this would help King Ghidorah is beam spamming like no tomorrow with little to no charging in between shots.
That's a fun fact!

Here's some anatomy of his fellow invaders!

Gigan

Megalon

Mechagodzilla
For Emperor and Empire!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kinda of cheating as it only points out where things are but doesn't show the inside and is concept art but whatever.

Added in 19 days 18 hours 9 minutes 20 seconds:
Finally got one that shows Legion's insides and finally got one for Iris at all. Both are done by Jolyon Yates.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:55 pm
Here's some anatomy of his fellow invaders!
I translated this Gigan Anatomy from that 1995 Godzilla Giant Monster Diagram Encyclopedia (ゴジラ大怪獣図解大百科) . This is a very different take than what was shown in spotlight article, saying there are less cybernetics than would be expected and hints of bioengineering.

A giant monster, the space dinosaur modified by (space) aliens has surprisingly few
mechanical parts. It seems there are many parts [of the body] where cells were altered/mutated.

Antennae/horn/(spike) receives command (radio?) signals from the people of Nebula Space Hunter. [ I found multiple possible interpretations and too many similar but not exact translations to determine if the command signals are simply radio or something more futuristic]

Infrared eye can see in the dark

Rotating muscles: Special muscles that turn the rotating cutter [by degrees*]

Energy sac: stores unused energy."

I do note I was unable to translate two characters in the energy sac section because both are blurry and partially cut off. The characters between 一 and ぬ are those ones.

So, yeah, a huge alternative to some of the others seen in the Character Analysis.
Also: Space Dinosaur War! The idea that Gigan isn't just a superweapon but a veteran of an intergalactic war is amazing concept!

edit"Turns out a single character was easy to misinterpret with the old scans that if changed turned "daikaiju" into "giant monster war".

Also that energy sac is the only thing of Gigan that has been consistent across all anatomy drawings, and is in every one I've seen but the 1993 diagram in the Character Analysis article.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Anyone know what books or source for the pictures used in the Character Analysis articles are from? I would be eager to learn more about them.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Well, a little late to the party for when this topic originated, but I have the book with that Gigan anatomy...

Plus, the others --

https://i.imgur.com/cwO3Izk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eEsWnIA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CkVAHcM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8Lw06bl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wBHiXoe.jpg

These diagrams are so fun to look at. Shame we never really see anything translated in English books.
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Oh this is great. I can post translations of these in my freetime. Shame I don't have enough posts counts to post edited images with the translations.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

No problem! Can you still share links? Doesn't have to be the actual image in the post. Speaking of, edited above post to just share the links since it was kind of slowing the page down a bit.

Sharing a few more, I'll probably convert these to links down the line, but from the "Super Godzilla Official Guide Book" (Japan). Haven't translated any of these outside of Bagan and Bio, I think Bio's mentioned she has telepathy, which is how she and Godzilla were able to locate one another for battles.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I don't have an imgur account.

Okay got Battra Translated.
Battra's outer covering is hard and contains bone [tissue?].
There are only bone in the two front legs.
(translates literally as bone, but other part of diagram appears pointing at muscles while talking about cartilage, so I think the "bones" are meant to be cartilage.)

The horn contains "luminescent cells", or light-producing cell.

The anatomy for the back of the head is "Energy converter" or "energy transformer".
変換= change; conversion;transformation
装置=equipment; device; installation; apparatus
強化= strengthening; intensifying;

These alter the energy from the luminescent cells to create a more powerful beam from the eyes than it would be otherwise. (I guess by altering the wavelength?)

Battra's wings have light-particle reflecting skin. The cutaway, while not described, seems arranged in layers so I suppose different layers protect against different wavelengths.

Finally, we have cartilage in the front legs that increase Battra's gripping power, possibly by making up the internal skeleton in front legs for muscles to anchor to.
Or there was a mixup with the characters of cartilage and muscle

All in all its an interesting cutaway, and I wonder if the artist is more used to drawing cutaways of mecha since Battra's head looks almost biomechanical.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Heisei Rodan's horns are "radio antenna". Otherwise not much else for that cutaway.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Big news:
I translated Megalon's anatomy from the Godzilla Monster Anatomical Encyclopedia (can't post pictures so check wikizilla).... and that long line on the front carapace are meant to be Caterpillar treads!. Its a setup like Gigan's buzzsaw,but to help move megalon underground rather than offensive!
キャタピラほね地中をすすむときに,回転させる。 translates to " "caterpillar/continuous-track bones rotate as travels underground."

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Got 決定版 ゴジラ怪獣図解超百科 (テレビマガジンデラックス) or an English translation title
Definitive edition Godzilla Monster Illustration Super Encyclopedia (TV Magazine Deluxe) in the mail yesterday.
Already finding out some thing form translating..
According to this 1992 book, Manda's fangs posess venom and the tornadoes created by Titanosaurus are electromagnetic in nature. Titanosaurus also receives the control signals sent by Mafune through their antennae.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I translated a copy of the poster of Jet Jaguar's internals from from Definitive Edition Godzilla Monster Illustrated Super Encyclopedia (TV Magazine Deluxe) or 決定版 ゴジラ怪獣図解超百科 (テレビマガジンデラックス)
The poster in the back of Goro Ibuki’s lab in Godzilla vs Megalon, translated.

There are two systems making up the “computer brain”: an “artificial brain” and a more conventional computer.

Apparently Jet Jaguar can refuel with both knees and feet.

What’s interesting is there seem to be two power sources. …and one is called a a nuclear “engine” specifically rather than having the “furnace” character that indicates a “nuclear reactor”… then again I think they may be the same thing but accidentally given different names for front and back views.

Jet Jaguar has more redundant systems than I expected. And was planned to be able to "talk" (probably prerecorded phrases) but was stolen before that was implemented.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I translated Titanosaurus anatomy from Definitive edition Godzilla Monster Illustration Super Encyclopedia (TV Magazine Deluxe 28)

Resized Image

Biggest surprise here is the tornadoes having an “electromagnetic” nature.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.