Improving kaiju designs

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Improving kaiju designs

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

You can improve any number of kaiju design. Who will you choose and what would you change?

1962 King Kong: Base it more on 1933 Kong.
Mothra (larva): Don't make it look like a weird turd.
Post-1964 Showa Godzilla: Keep more aspects from MosuGoji like, for example, the light-colored eyebrows.
Showa Gigan: Recolor the fins to be red.
Megalon: Turn the hands into full drills.
Heisei Ghidorah: Add the crescent horns.
Heisei Mechagodzilla: Use the Transforming Mechagodzilla design (without the transforming since they cut it for a good reason).
Heisei Rodan: Start from scratch.
Little Godzilla: Focus more on modernizing the Minilla desing than "outcuteing" everything else.
GMK Guardians: Add more cultural details to make it clear that they're guardians of Japan.
Millennium Anguirus: Use the 2001 design but with 1968 colors and no ice abilities.
Millennium Gigan: Use a desaturated version of the Showa color scheme.
Keizer Ghidorah: Make him bipedal (but with arms still) and give him a brighter gold color scheme.
Legendary Godzilla: Have his underside be a brighter grey or maybe even beige.
MUTO: Use the more clearly mammalian concept art design with the color scheme of the final version.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Improving kaiju designs

Post by BlankAccount »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:1962 King Kong: Base it more on 1933 Kong.
The designers and suit makers were specifically told not to do this, So they based his face off of the cute little monkeys you see in Japan's hot springs. I get what they were going for and had they pulled it off we would have had a cool unique design Kong instead of the equivalent to the SOG Godzilla design.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Millennium Anguirus: Use the 2001 design.
Not too sure how people would've reacted to Anguirus suddenly becoming gold and having ice powers out of the blue. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d change every FW design except Kamacuras and Kumonga. I’d make them more Showa-Like.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Not too sure how people would've reacted to Anguirus suddenly becoming gold and having ice powers out of the blue. :P
Oof. Should probably update that.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Or just keep the design and toss his ice powers and gold coloring.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I’d change every FW design except Kamacuras and Kumonga. I’d make them more Showa-Like.
I fle the FW Kamacuras lokked pretty good. They seemed more realistic.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Showa Anguirus - A more sleeker, running adapted design reminiscent of extinct cocodilians like old depictions of Postosuchus and related genera or Quikana, with some elements of big cats. Essentially, something like a Mishipeshu.
Obviously, this includes fixing the legs so they don't look like dragging human legs.

Gorosaurus - Run with the kangaroo kick bit make a design that screams 'Australia'. This includes adding simple, hairlike black feathers on him reminiscent of a cassowary, another animal from Australia known for its kicks; the second is a kind of spotted pattern on it that echoes australian dot paintings.
Spoiler:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ That Gorosaurus does sound interesting, but it doesn’t feel right for KKE.

Speaking of, we seriously need a kaiju based of the Indigenous Australian legend of the Rainbow Serpent.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzilla 1984 - Make the eyes proportionately smaller.

Heisei Mechagodzilla - Use the poster design.

Spacegodzilla - Help him differentiate from Super Godzilla by replacing the head-crest with an enlarged brain encapsulated with a crystal.

Shin Godzilla - Remove the pointed sternum.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Godzilla 2019: get rid of the roid belly
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Al Diplodocus wrote:Showa Anguirus - A more sleeker, running adapted design reminiscent of extinct cocodilians like old depictions of Postosuchus and related genera or Quikana, with some elements of big cats. Essentially, something like a Mishipeshu.
Obviously, this includes fixing the legs so they don't look like dragging human legs.

Gorosaurus - Run with the kangaroo kick bit make a design that screams 'Australia'. This includes adding simple, hairlike black feathers on him reminiscent of a cassowary, another animal from Australia known for its kicks; the second is a kind of spotted pattern on it that echoes australian dot paintings.
Spoiler:
The Anguirus is pretty interesting but I'm not a fan of the Gorosaurus. Seems more like an Ultraman monster than something that would fight King Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Post-64 Showa Godzilla (All designs): I would keep the shiny lighter-colored brows.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Heisei Mothra- Make it look less like a plush doll. Keep the hairy body, but the wings need to look smooth.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

What makes me sad with Toho's Kong design is that The Gargantuas look great, and they are similarly primate/humanoid in nature. Not quite like gorillas, but enough similarities to where it shows that more humanoid monsters can work.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I gotta be honest, i'd make Legendary Ghidorah look a bit more eastern dragon than western dragon.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GMK Godzilla I'd probably slim that pot belly he has, as it is the one nitpick I have with the design.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:28 am I gotta be honest, i'd make Legendary Ghidorah look a bit more eastern dragon than western dragon.
THIS. Adding a mane, crescent horns, and maybe even barbels could've been the thing to save Ghidorah from just being another generic Vermithrax expy.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 pm GMK Godzilla I'd probably slim that pot belly he has, as it is the one nitpick I have with the design.
I heard somewhere the designers did it that way on purpose since corpses usually bloat up when they die.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:23 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 pm GMK Godzilla I'd probably slim that pot belly he has, as it is the one nitpick I have with the design.
I heard somewhere the designers did it that way on purpose since corpses usually bloat up when they die.
I feel taking a realistic approach to a literal zombie Kaiju possessed by the souls of vengeful ghosts is entirely missing the point, but if that was true wouldn't a decomposing corpse be more accurate if that was the intent?