What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era And Why?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What Is Your Favorite Godzilla Era?

Showa
71%
Heisei
14%
Millenium
No votes
Monsterverse
14%
Reiwa
No votes

Total votes: 21

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: Favorite Era

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I haven't seen the anime trilogy, so I can't rate Reiwa yet. I'm only ranking the Godzilla series, and beware, for my opinions are pretty generic. :P

1. Showa - a diverse selection of films, many of which are classics. The original film stands alone as a rare gem, and everything made from 1964 to 1968 is the gold standard for a lighter, more absurd Godzilla that still delivered good stories and action.
2. Heisei - the 80's films have plenty of faults, but they're both quite ambitious, especially Godzilla vs. Biollante's intricate plotting. They also have great atmosphere, and Godzilla is genuinely intimidating. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah kept *some* of this magic going, but then Godzilla vs. Mothra just killed the momentum and the series never really recovered. Still, there's a lot to love here, including what I still think of as the definitive version of Godzilla.
3. Millennium - Big old mess, though I do like the human drama in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (if anything it should have been fleshed out more); the first half of GMK is excellent; and the US version of Godzilla 2000 is a good time. Otherwise, I give these movies a wide berth.
4. Monsterverse - ...man, I almost forgot I had to list this. They're all stellar productions, but they mostly failed to live up to their potential with the storytelling. Pretty weak scripts overall.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.