Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your least favorite Godzilla movie?

Godzilla Raids Again
5%
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster)
2%
Son of Godzilla
No votes
All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge)
12%
Godzilla vs. Gigan
No votes
Godzilla vs. Megalon
5%
Godzilla vs. Mothra (Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth)
2%
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
6%
TriStar's Godzilla
26%
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
3%
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5%
Godzilla: Final Wars
2%
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
5%
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
14%
Godzilla: The Planet Eater
No votes
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
11%
A different film in the series (specify below)
6%

Total votes: 66

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Living Corpse wrote:Ugh, I wish I could vote for more than one. G'98 is a no brainer, as is Godzilla's Revenge, and I only liked 1 out of the 3 anime films. That's not to say they don't have ideas or things I like, even G'98, but the bad outweigh the good in my opinion.
Yeah, I almost allowed two votes. For me, the unholy trinity is Godzilla's Revenge, TriStarZilla and COTEOB (worst title ever, by the way). The 98 film wins for one big reason: it had the most potential for greatness.

Godzilla's Revenge was made on a very limited budget and intended as a self-contained pseudo-entry; I don't like it, but it's easy to write it off as a strange, experimental Godzilla film. The anime trilogy is frustratingly bad, and could have been done much better, but even if the films were good, I doubt they'd really break any new ground. But Zilla '98 could have been the thrilling blockbuster that made Godzilla popular internationally for the first time in decades. Instead, it reinforced the common belief that the franchise is a big, dumb joke. Therefore, it will always get my vote.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The last four films made me appreciate Final Wars, so that's something.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Ugh, I wish I could vote for more than one. G'98 is a no brainer, as is Godzilla's Revenge, and I only liked 1 out of the 3 anime films. That's not to say they don't have ideas or things I like, even G'98, but the bad outweigh the good in my opinion.
Yeah, I almost allowed two votes. For me, the unholy trinity is Godzilla's Revenge, TriStarZilla and COTEOB (worst title ever, by the way). The 98 film wins for one big reason: it had the most potential for greatness.

Godzilla's Revenge was made on a very limited budget and intended as a self-contained pseudo-entry; I don't like it, but it's easy to write it off as a strange, experimental Godzilla film. The anime trilogy is frustratingly bad, and could have been done much better, but even if the films were good, I doubt they'd really break any new ground. But Zilla '98 could have been the thrilling blockbuster that made Godzilla popular internationally for the first time in decades. Instead, it reinforced the common belief that the franchise is a big, dumb joke. Therefore, it will always get my vote.
Honestly you nailed it on what is G'98's biggest sin. That it was an American film that fucked up and damage the reputation. Had it been another Japanese film it would be no more infamous than Godzilla's Revenge or the anime movies, a weird experimental film that made odd choices for a Godzilla film.

To this day I still see reviewers comparing the Monsterverse films to G'98. When it was G2014 it made sense, a lot of causal movie reviewers never went out of their way to watch the Japanese films so to them Godzilla has been gone for 16 years instead the 10+ for us and plus it was another U.S. Godzilla. But then I see them comparing GKOTM to G'98 instead of, you know, the other U.S. movie that it's a sequel to and from the same continuity. And we'll probably see GvsK get compared to this 20+ year movie as well and it's like good lord people, the fans have moved on from it, why haven't you?

I'm not even mad about the movie anymore nor am I bringing it up to trash talk about it, I just noticed that even non G-fans or causal fans have a weird obsession with bringing that film up every time we get a new U.S. film when most of us have just accepted it's part of history and moved on cause hey it's not the only U.S. flick anymore.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I get why G98 and KOTM get compared: they have the same full on, joke filled, action adventure attitude that G14 lacked.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:I get why G98 and KOTM get compared: they have the same full on, joke filled, action adventure attitude that G14 lacked.
Some comic relief =/= the same movie.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I get why G98 and KOTM get compared: they have the same full on, joke filled, action adventure attitude that G14 lacked.
Good a guess as any :shrug:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G'98 is still relevant because it's most people's exposure to the character. That's why you don't see fans comparing each new movie to it: we've had 12 (!) produced and released since then.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Good a guess as any :shrug:
Sorry if I cam off dickish.
Terasawa wrote:G'98 is still relevant because it's most people's exposure to the character. That's why you don't see fans comparing each new movie to it: we've had 12 (!) produced and released since then.
I think if I reviewed a sequel I'd compare it to the last movie to come out a few years ago and not the one that came out over 2 decades ago. :lol: I dunno people are weird.

I'm calling it now, Godzilla vs Kong is gonna be compared to G'98.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Yeah multiple voting options in these polls would give more interesting results.

Megalon might be my least favorite Showa. SpaceGodzilla for Heisei. Godzilla 98 overall - disappointing, disrespectful, etc. Final Wars for Millennium - might be my least favorite Toho.

Don't have a least favorite among the newer films exactly - we'll have to see in retrospect.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's 22 years later, I can eek some enjoyment out of G98, as disrespectful as it is to the character.

I don't think I can find anything to enjoy with POTM or COTEB. They're the driest, most bland films in the entire series.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

I waited five years for that movie- five painfully suspenseful years- and it was released just 21 years after my 19th birthday. I thought I was gonna love it. I thought there was no way it could possibly disappoint me.

It let me down. And it let me down HARD.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

There has never been a film, nor a series, in this franchises history that put me to sleep, other than the Anime trilogy.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ShinGojira14 wrote:it was released just 21 years after my 19th birthday.
That's a very strange way to say "on my 40th birthday."
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

eabaker wrote:
ShinGojira14 wrote:it was released just 21 years after my 19th birthday.
That's a very strange way to say "on my 40th birthday."

SKREEONKING AUTOCORRECT!!!!

That thing is becoming my damn nemesis.

I meant 21 days.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Gotta say there are two things that surprise me about the results of this poll...
1) Not a single person has voted for GFW. Given how many people I've seen hating on it over the years, including on here, I'm shocked. Maybe it's because most GFW haters hate KOTM even more?
2) Nine votes for the anime trilogy, no surprise there. But what IS a surprise is that there's not a single vote for The Planet Eater! While I didn't hate that one nearly as much as COTEOB, I've seen a lot of folks proclaim it as their least favorite of the trilogy so I'm astonished it hasn't won a single vote.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Gotta say there are two things that surprise me about the results of this poll...
1) Not a single person has voted for GFW. Given how many people I've seen hating on it over the years, including on here, I'm shocked. Maybe it's because most GFW haters hate KOTM even more?
I think time has diluted a lot of the anger that movie provoked, and now many of its detractors (myself among them) can now see it more as a strange and tragic relic of its era, and even appreciate it as a kind of hideous time capsule.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: 2) Nine votes for the anime trilogy, no surprise there. But what IS a surprise is that there's not a single vote for The Planet Eater! While I didn't hate that one nearly as much as COTEOB, I've seen a lot of folks proclaim it as their least favorite of the trilogy so I'm astonished it hasn't won a single vote.
I think it stems from the fact that Planet Eater at least has an interesting idea, even if it skreoonking sucked in execution. POTM at least has the cool battle sequence. COTEOB... has neither of those. That's why it got my vote and the other two got lucky.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Proud not-liker of Tokyo S.O.S.

It brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Gotta say there are two things that surprise me about the results of this poll...
In my case, I think it's the worst film in the franchise... BUT... it's not my "least favorite" as the topic asks for. I can still enjoy FW for the dumb action movie it is. I cannot, however, enjoy the anime trilogy. Even if I think the trilogy is technically better overall.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kiryu86
Samurai

Post by kiryu86 »

I can appreciate the Tri Star film for what it is, a cash grab. Godzilla's Revenge just feels like a fever dream and I cringe ever time I watch it, even when alone.
Not all who wander are lost